The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 29, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #30,481 of 90,404
I enjoyed EX800ST a lot too when I had it :) it was like Sony were ahead of time with their IEM’s from that era. IER-M9 feels a bit like the spiritual successor to EX800ST. Balanced, warm with good technicalities. Have you tried the tape mod? Turns it into a full-on basshead iem. I personally preferred it without the mod as it’s already quite bassy.

C6C0288E-AFAE-430B-A622-BCE2D41E0B60.jpeg
I couldn't get the tape to stick. I ordered some electrical tape and might go check to see if i have some in the car.

M9 bass doesn't slam does it?

Really impressed with the ex800st. I swear if this came out this year everyone would rave about it like the Jewel or xe6 imho.

I've been noticing some of the greatest iems get forgotten simply because we're always searching for something better. Sony was ahead of their time. This iem can definitely compete in today's iem market imho.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #30,482 of 90,404
Another Tourist has joined the party...
Advar1.jpg

Everything you've read about tip selection with these is spot on. I use Final E's for several of my IEMs, but because these shells are so small, and the stems are short, I couldn't get a proper seal at all with them, which of course skewed the treble much more forward than it should be. In all the other reviews & impressions I've read, no one else has had much luck with Final E's, so I'm not sure why Meze include them.

I dug around until I found the Large soft silicon tips that came with my UM 3DT, another short stemmed IEM, and they work well for me on the Advar. Treble is still a little bright, but the deep rich bass from that DD balances the whole thing out nicely. Maybe Meze could ask UM where they get those tips LOL.

I've never heard a top-quality single-DD IEM before, but with the Advar I'm hearing the benefit of the coherence you get from this simple configuration. I'm not convinced this is something that is necessary for me to enjoy an IEM, but it definitely delivers a very smooth and clean presentation across the entire FR.

Really enjoying the new Orbital 30 Something compilation with these, the midbass lift coupled with treble energy sets the percussion off against the pounding bass very well

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #30,483 of 90,404
I enjoyed EX800ST a lot too when I had it :) it was like Sony were ahead of time with their IEM’s from that era. IER-M9 feels a bit like the spiritual successor to EX800ST. Balanced, warm with good technicalities. Have you tried the tape mod? Turns it into a full-on basshead iem. I personally preferred it without the mod as it’s already quite bassy.

C6C0288E-AFAE-430B-A622-BCE2D41E0B60.jpeg
I love their inline remotes. Super useful

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #30,484 of 90,404
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #30,486 of 90,404
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #30,487 of 90,404
Jewel has recessed sockets. I think that's just the cables pins :)

Mine aren't recessed - have they changed it? I would prefer if they were like Traillii.

20220729_070439.jpg

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #30,488 of 90,404
Mine aren't recessed - have they changed it? I would prefer if they were like Traillii.

20220729_070439.jpg
Sorry, I meant flat, not protruding sockets and I have just realised he was comparing to Traillii, which does have proper recessed sockets! 🤦‍♂️ I’ll edit my post

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #30,489 of 90,404
Sorry, I meant flat, not protruding sockets and I have just realised he was comparing to Traillii, which does have proper recessed sockets! 🤦‍♂️ I’ll edit my post

Ah ok, I was thinking it's annoying if they switched to flat!

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #30,490 of 90,404
Ah ok, I was thinking it's annoying if they switched to flat!
I haven’t got any IEM’s with recessed sockets anymore but I remember Traillii’s sockets feeling more secure. I don’t use IEM’s outside the house or in any situation where I would apply pressure to the connection point, so it doesn’t really affect my usage. But if I used IEM’s for sleeping or outdoors regularly, then I would want recessed or the qdc style connectors if possible :)

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #30,491 of 90,404
I haven’t got any IEM’s with recessed sockets anymore but I remember Traillii’s sockets feeling more secure. I don’t use IEM’s outside the house or in any situation where I would apply pressure to the connection point, so it doesn’t really affect my usage. But if I used IEM’s for sleeping or outdoors regularly, then I would want recessed or the qdc style connectors if possible :)

Traillii and Szalayi both have recessed and they definitely feel more secure. Likewise though, the likes of Jewel won't leave the house - my DDs are typically the choice for out and about!

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #30,492 of 90,404
the next few years are a real test of what we are made of. War, famine, growing autocracy, pandemics will test us all.
good luck, good music, and I hope we don’t grasp the dark side of humanity.

Yup. Human nature is cyclical. It reminds me of this:
EzcUsB_UYAAGF3v.jpg_large.jpg

Pls tell us where you left your audio collection so we can go look when you suddenly disappear after this post... 😅

In case you dont hear from me again, search for a piece of obsidian at the end of a stone wall near an oak tree in Buxton, Ohio.

Screenshot_20220728-233747_YouTube.jpg

P.S. I left the original unused ear tips in the box so you should be able to scalp it with ease at the classified.

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #30,493 of 90,404
Bought this last night and listening again now - 2nd album of the morning on Jewel!

This is a wonderful collaboration of electronic, cello, and piano from Scott Morgan (Loscil) and Mark Bridges. Beautiful stuff.

Bandcamp Blurb:

High Plains is the duo of Scott Morgan and Mark Bridges. Morgan, based in the Canadian Pacific Northwest, is predominantly known for his drifting, textured soundscapes released under the pseudonym loscil. Bridges is an accomplished, classically-trained cellist residing in Madison, Wisconsin. The two met in Banff, Alberta while they were simultaneously there on residencies at the Banff Centre for the Arts in 2014.

They first collaborated when Bridges contributed cello parts to Morgan’s generative music app ADRIFT, recorded in Seattle in 2015.

In early 2016, the duo embarked on a collaborative set of compositions in the oxygen thin air of Wyoming, spending two weeks holed up in a refurbished school house in the town of Saratoga,
where this album was recorded. Inspired by Schubert’s Die Winterreise and the rolling landscapes of their surroundings, the collaboration culminated in a collection of recordings that evoke a shadowy, introspective and dizzying winter journey. Cinderland takes cues from classical, electronic and cinematic musical traditions but is mostly a product of the rugged, mythic landscape; vast and sprawling with a wild, uncertain edge.

The recording was made with a portable studio and all sounds were sourced on site, most notably from Bridges’ cello, the resident Steinway D piano, and field recordings collected from the local soundscape.
The results are a site specific, wide scope view of the high valley terrain the duo worked in, a mix of analog and digital, neoclassical and modern electronic sounds, a complemental series of tracks to become absorbed in, a truly deep listening experience.

The cover art for Cinderland was created by London-based artist, Peter Liversidge.

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #30,495 of 90,404
Traillii and Szalayi both have recessed and they definitely feel more secure. Likewise though, the likes of Jewel won't leave the house - my DDs are typically the choice for out and about!
my Jewel sockets are extremely tight, took me a while to remove the original silver cable. My u12ts are actually the ones i use on the go, non recessed socket but overall still snug and good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back