The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 22, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #29,941 of 88,437
Also guys @Ace Bee is a good friend of mine from the hobby I was just pulling his leg here. He is a gem, lends me so many gears for review and audition
And the same goes for you too man...enjoy your IE600 this weekend, next week I'm gonna kidnap it for the whole week :ksc75smile:

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #29,942 of 88,437
Ok, also note that their graphs from 5-7k onwards are generally inaccurate. So for the most part below that can still be relatable
I don't think so, but well... different opinions.

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #29,943 of 88,437
I don't think so, but well... different opinions.

Lol I have the original graph from the creator, this is not a matter of opinion whether you like it or not.

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #29,944 of 88,437
Speaking of non electronic music, I'm listening right now to 'A Storm in Heaven' from 1993 by Verve - later to become 'The Verve' and a lot more well known. I love this, and 'A Northern Soul' from 1995.

20220722_184839.jpg

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #29,945 of 88,437
Speaking of non electronic music, I'm listening right now to 'A Storm in Heaven' from 1993 by Verve - later to become 'The Verve' and a lot more well known. I love this, and 'A Northern Soul' from 1995.

20220722_184839.jpg

A Storm in Heaven was their apex. I love it and listen to it at least once every 2 years or so. Their 1st EP was good too. Nothing else after gelled for me. They were too in love with The Stones on subsequent releases to stand on their own.

"A Storm..." stands on its own. Classic. A great album for a weekend wake and bake.

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #29,946 of 88,437
Lol I have the original graph from the creator, this is not a matter of opinion whether you like it or not.
LOL... Most manufacturers' charts are the ones that are far from reality :sweat_smile:

I definitely think it's better to leave it, we each do well with our own opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #29,947 of 88,437
A Storm in Heaven was their apex. I love it and listen to it at least once every 2 years or so. Their 1st EP was good too. Nothing else after gelled for me. They were too in love with The Stones on subsequent releases to stand on their own.

"A Storm..." stands on its own. Classic. A great album for a weekend wake and bake.

Yeah it's fantastic, and equally 'A Northern Soul' for me but it ended there... a bit of a nostalgic fondness I guess for their more poppy chart success later on.

From a few years later but I was listening to The Beta Band again recently in my car - 'Dry the Rain' such a fantastic song, and reminds me I must watch High Fedelity again, and indeed maybe finally read the book!

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #29,948 of 88,437
LOL... Most manufacturers' charts are the ones that are far from reality :sweat_smile:

I definitely think it's better to leave it, we each do well with our own opinion.

Huh? Are you high? They need accurate measurement to tune and channel match their IEMs. Their measurement kit costs in the thousands compared to most reviewers using the IEC711 clone that costs $100-200.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #29,949 of 88,437
Yeah it's fantastic, and equally 'A Northern Soul' for me but it ended there... a bit of a nostalgic fondness I guess for their more poppy chart success later on.

From a few years later but I was listening to The Beta Band again recently in my car - 'Dry the Rain' such a fantastic song, and reminds me I must watch High Fedelity again, and indeed maybe finally read the book!

Oh man, the Beta Band... deep cuts today, Scuba, love it 👍

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #29,950 of 88,437
I've been so busy lately that I have to participate here in digest form... a tribute to how active this thread is. 🤣

Hey guys - just cross posting from another thread - have had the Noble Kublai Khan for about two weeks now, so thought I’d get round to posting some impressions over on Audio Primate. Link is below if anyone is interested… They are quite long, so you have been warned!

https://audioprimate.blog/2022/07/08/noble-audio-kublai-khan-initial-impressions/

0E8BB0EB-AADE-4F04-9A9A-542CF2C9E0D8.jpeg

TL;DR - these are VERY well tuned, with a balanced but still musical FR and some excellent technicalities.
Kublai Kahn seems to be out and about. It is wonderful to get different impressions from different ears!

IMG_2308.jpg

Kublai took what I liked about Khan (detail/clarity) and added a lot to it: staging, palpable sub bass bone conduction, thicker mids, and very clear non-fatiguing treble. And the detail retrieval is a star on top of all of that!

I will post more impressions over the next few weeks on the Noble thread and @SeeSax and I will get a joint Kublai Khan review posted by the second week of August. Leroy, the fictitious grumpy and rough around the edges interviewer has been found deep in the bowels of an unnamed country. He will be interviewing SeeSax and me for the review. Leroy will also be interviewing John Moulton, the creator of the Kublai Khan.
A short listen to Kublai Khan and that clicked more - I think I do need a set with BCD in the collection!

20220716_130051.jpg

Yeah, I agree. I think the Kublai Khan is one of the most intriguing IEMs I've heard in quite some time. It's extension, at both ends, went beyond what I would deem typical for personal audio - even going so far as to remind me of full 2-ch rigs at times.

We have enough people in the general area for a very good Watercooler meet! I miss the older styled meets head-fi meets where people bring their own rigs though CanJam is amazing.

As an organizer of some of those meets, I must admit that they had their own charm. :slight_smile:

Also I’ve had the final prototype of Eletech’s upcoming “Project L” flagship copper cable for a little while now and I cannot wait until the full version is released. This is an amazing sounding cable, taking the best elements of copper (warm lush analogue tone) but with the speed, dynamics and technical finesse of pure silver.

2AF7993F-9D19-47BD-813D-E23F87E7790E.jpeg

I don't have that. :cry: I do have the original Alpha prototype here, and a production version, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit! :slight_smile: I can imagine @HiFiHawaii808 enjoying it too.

If that's a Dioko filter joke, that's hilarious! 🤣

absolutely. If you are at CanJam Socal, the best thing to do is work with Chord.

+1. Talk to Colin, he's a legend, and he'll get you sorted for sure.

I think Elise Audio has expectations of having the Storm at CanJam London.

Are they exhibiting??

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #29,951 of 88,437
And the same goes for you too man...enjoy your IE600 this weekend, next week I'm gonna kidnap it for the whole week :ksc75smile:
Done Bro!!

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #29,952 of 88,437
Huh? Are you high? They need accurate measurement to tune and channel match their IEMs. Their measurement kit costs in the thousands compared to most reviewers using the IEC711 clone that costs $100-200.

And as I told before, for my part I'm leaving this now.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #29,953 of 88,437
Do you know how much does the crinacle measuring equipment cost? I assure you that more than 10 times that price you say.

Do you know that Lee has admitted that he uses his phone as a player to tune his IEMs?

As I told before, this doesn't give me anything, so for my part I'm leaving it now.

As one of the reviewers who uses measurement setup for iems, duplicated from Crin's setup for consistency so I can compare my measurements to his and many other reviewers, between IEC60318 coupler (from aliexpress), a quality cable splitter for audio/mic, and USB dac dongle ($6 Apple USB-C dac dongle is very popular for that), all together it cost me about $120. REW (Room EQ Wizzard) measurement software is free.

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #29,954 of 88,437
I've had Traillii for almost a year now and love them as much as those early honeymoon days... well, after a rough start with tips that almost led to me parting ways! Settling down to some music now after a stressful day at work and they really are fantastic... However, ever since Jewel came on the scene, I've been ultra curious as to how they would compare to the beautiful bird - I hoped to get to CanJam in London but for various reasons, I couldn't make it - so I decided if I couldn't go to the Jewel, the Jewel will have to come to me... lands Monday or Tuesday and I'm now counting the hours!

Oh and this is part of the consolidation I recently referred to, just had to aquire the mystical Jewel first to then decide what happens next. I'd like to think Traillii will have a complementary set in Jewel, and the debate will be on others...

20220722_205135.jpg

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #29,955 of 88,437
With all the mentions of different years of music going on today I was wondering if any of you listened to the Album Years podcast? I enjoy the discussions of the albums from the year they pick. I am a huge Steven Wislon fan both his music and remixing so that probably helps but give it a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back