The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #21,721 of 88,429
As I owned all Aroma models, let me classify them into the following categories -

Must Try: Jewel, Ace, Thunder, Musical Box Yao, Witch Girl W12
Good: Shock, Musical Box Twins, Musical Box Early, Witch Girl W6.2
Alright: Duet, Star, Witch Girl W5
W12 is different from Ace?

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #21,722 of 88,429
qdc Solo and Sennheiser IE 600 ordered. I may be the only one interested in these.
@claud W i’m watching DMAGIC Solo since came out last year, where did you buy?

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #21,723 of 88,429
Couldn't agree more.

62166C9B-0C51-4289-AEBD-657B09319367.jpeg

I spent a few hours today listening to the CCA CRA. Keeps me grounded and reminds me of cost vs enjoyment when contemplating big spends.

The Penon Serial is also excellent at its price and stood out from the bunch when I tried it last week.

There are lots of people here interested in sets at all price ranges even though it may not seem so with all the TOTL talk.
CRA is an incredible iem for 16€, nothing wrong if cost 200$ IMHO.
I found a great matching with Penon PAC480 (50$) cable and RS6

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #21,724 of 88,429
On the subject of lower price IEMs, I chose the BQEYZ Autumn tonight - I had a busy day, and actually the first opportunity to listen to IEMs all day. With that in mind, I decided a good opportunity to give these a try. This is another great example of where it really is not necessary to spend mega bucks for excellent sound. Very musical IEMs, with incredibly enjoyable sub bass, lush clear mids, and enough treble to satisfy all but the most hardcore treble fans. Decent width stage, not massively deep but with surprisingly good detail retrieval. They remind me most of ZEN PRO, but with more sub bass. They are a metal shell, but incredibly light - I can hardly feel them in my ears, one that would be easy to wear for hours.

It's nuts to think these are less than $200. I think I'll revert to playing more in this space again for a while, I've enough top tier sets for the moment, and I get almost as much pleasure out of experiencing what the lower price sets can do... and they don't break the bank.

20220418_210858.jpg

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #21,725 of 88,429
On the subject of lower price IEMs, I chose the BQEYZ Autumn tonight - I had a busy day, and actually the first opportunity to listen to IEMs all day. With that in mind, I decided a good opportunity to give these a try. This is another great example of where it really is not necessary to spend mega bucks for excellent sound. Very musical IEMs, with incredibly enjoyable sub bass, lush clear mids, and enough treble to satisfy all but the most hardcore treble fans. Decent width stage, not massively deep but with surprisingly good detail retrieval. They remind me most of ZEN PRO, but with more sub bass. They are a metal shell, but incredibly light - I can hardly feel them in my ears, one that would be easy to wear for hours.

It's nuts to think these are less than $200. I think I'll revert to playing more in this space again for a while, I've enough top tier sets for the moment, and I get almost as much pleasure out of experiencing what the lower price sets can do... and they don't break the bank.

My go-to budget recommendation for the past couple years has been Audiofly's AF140 MK2. It's got the exact sound you've described with the Autumn, and it's just a very easy IEM to love overall; forgiving, lush and sweetly musical. The Shure-esque silhouette is a great plus too. It's definitely one of those that I feel could've caught on if it were easier to demo:

AF-AF140MK2-10-S.jpg

'Photo taken from my review here: https://theheadphonelist.com/audiofly-af140-mk-2-the-sunburst-cherry-bomb/

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #21,726 of 88,429
@CrocodileDundee - Congrats on the incoming Atrium! Such a stunner of a headphone looks wise and I'm sure the sonics will be spectacular. Have you / do you own any other ZMF gear?

When I finally own a home where I can set up a dedicated listening area, a pair of ZMF cans and an OTL amp will be day 1 purchases.

Softening things up for the afternoon listening after a metal filled morning... Since @Progisus and Bjorn Riis latest solo album put them back on my radar, I'm rediscovering Airbag. Currently playing through their first release, Identity. If you're at all a fan of Pink Floyd you owe it to yourself to check out them out.

I had the Aeolus and Auteur for a few weeks before. They were great but one was too bright and the other too warm and muddy for what I was looking for. Atrium looks like to be the mid term between them.

I don’t have a full size Amp yet (and can’t have now), so will hope one of the portable ones can handle it.

I hope you get you listening room soon! :)

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #21,727 of 88,429
My go-to budget recommendation for the past couple years has been Audiofly's AF140 MK2. It's got the exact sound you've described with the Autumn, and it's just a very easy IEM to love overall; forgiving, lush and sweetly musical. The Shure-esque silhouette is a great plus too. It's definitely one of those that I feel could've caught on if it were easier to demo:

'Photo taken from my review here: https://theheadphonelist.com/audiofly-af140-mk-2-the-sunburst-cherry-bomb/
My vote for that as well. Also reviewed it Here.

Unfortunately the company closed the doors last year.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #21,728 of 88,429
If there was a Watercooler credentials sticker for highly regarded IEMs that have stood the test of time, Z1R would certainly have one plastered on the box plus wear with well deserved, and great pride!

I can see it now, bottom right corner...

Here you go...

Z1Rwc.jpg

And for anyone wanting to use this image in their own mock-ups, I've attached a 1300px transparent PNG below...

We need an official Watercooler "seal of approval" logo.

Ask and ye shall receive (see attached).

I can almost hear @gLer screaming for joy when he wakes up later and sees the updated results.

surprised.gif

Attachments

• coolerstamp.png
    coolerstamp.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #21,729 of 88,429
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #21,730 of 88,429
So I uhhh... Made something 🤣

I don't know what to make of the Bubble rating yet. Should it be a Bubble Value Rating or a Bubble Must-Try Rating?
Should I make one without a bubble too?

WatercoolerSeal(Medium).jpg

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #21,731 of 88,429
Apr 18, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #21,732 of 88,429
I did not realize how cheap the CCA CRAs are. And considering how well everyone here talks about them, that’s pretty remarkable in itself. Wow

I don’t think we’re at the point where you could get great hifi experience by grabbing a random set of headphones or IEMs at a gas station, but even mass market stuff has decent sound quality now.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #21,733 of 88,429
@gLer beat me to it lmao

But here's my take on it on the Z1R box lol

WatercoolerZ1R.jpg

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #21,734 of 88,429
Well, I still like the KZ DQ6 better than the CCA CRA (I have both).
There are people who find the DQ6 more shouty, but for me the CRA has some treble peak that I find unbearable (I only listen to hard rock, progressive and metal).

I have tried to try all my tips and even with EQ, but I can't achieve a tonality that I like 100% with the CRA.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #21,735 of 88,429
I did not realize how cheap the CCA CRAs are. And considering how well everyone here talks about them, that’s pretty remarkable in itself. Wow

I don’t think we’re at the point where you could get great hifi experience by grabbing a random set of headphones or IEMs at a gas station, but even mass market stuff has decent sound quality now.
I agree, you can get excellent sound for relatively little money nowadays. I just caution against unrealistic expectations when it comes to budget IEMs. Sure they may match far more expensive IEMs in one or more aspects, and you may even prefer the tonality of some over more expensive sets, but like anything in audio, nothing is perfect and compromises are a given. The more thought and craftsmanship and quality and skill, the fewer the compromises made, and invariably the higher the price.

A higher price doesn't always equal better enjoyment, but it almost always equals better quality. How much better, and at what price...that's what this game is all about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back