The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 24, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #16,862 of 91,345
Quote of the day right there! 🤣
david.jpg
OMG @gLer, behave please😆

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #16,865 of 91,345
So well said. 🙏 I'll add to the quote above: read within your means. I often think the Watercooler should come with a warning label.🤦‍♂️
I agree. Once you read something, it is in your mind.

Hypothetical situation:

1) User A buys IEM "X" based off User B's suggestion. Lets say user A is at a 9 in terms of satisfaction overall.

2) User B buys a new IEM called "Z". He now touts the IEM Z as a big upgrade to the IEM "X"

3) User A internalizes that information. His satisfaction now drops to an 8 because now despite his IEM sounding the same, the perception changed. The possibility of a better experience is there.

Its also the same scenario with product releases from a manufacturer. This is why the best plan is long term, sustainable upgrades.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #16,866 of 91,345
@MatW - What's your portable source nowadays? DX300 still or did you get something new? I was away for 4 days and this thread progressed something like 80 pages so forgive me if I'm a bit behind on the latest moving and shaking haha.
Apologies for the late reply.

I was/am using the DX300 (amp 11.1 and 12) and the Fiio M11 Pro (for walking, since it's super light).

2022-03-24 13.05.17.jpg

Given the amount of time I spend listening to high-end IEMs, I thought it was time for a DAP upgrade. I might have gone a little overboard with that... :)

2022-03-24 13.09.17.jpg

I look forward to comparing, mixing and matching. It will be fun. Or a nightmare... Three of these I just received and have barely listened to, but I already know it will be very difficult to decide what stays and what goes...

2022-03-24 13.14.04.jpg

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #16,867 of 91,345

I was/am using the DX300 (amp 11.1 and 12) and the Fiio M11 Pro (for walking, since it's super light).

Given the amount of time I spend listening to high-end IEMs, I thought it was time for a DAP upgrade. I might have gone a little overboard with that... :)

I look forward to comparing, mixing and matching. It will be fun. Or a nightmare... Three of these I just received and have barely listened to, but I already know it will be very difficult to decide what stays and what goes...

You just thought you'd drop the N8ii in there and no one would notice? 😜

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #16,868 of 91,345
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #16,869 of 91,345
I did keep the tube lights off, didn't I? :beyersmile:
Some man. The big hitters around here could learn something from you 😂

Considering we have or had so much gear in common, I'll look forward to your thoughts. Might hear from you in 6 months.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #16,870 of 91,345

2022-03-24 13.05.17.jpg

2022-03-24 13.09.17.jpg

2022-03-24 13.14.04.jpg

Have you the NW-WM1ZM2 on pre order to make a full house?!

Quite a collection!

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #16,871 of 91,345
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #16,872 of 91,345
Sweet. The SR25ii is a gem. Still waiting on your EXT impressions (and the Mellianus too if I remember your photo right)...unless you totally did not like it and are trying to be demure/polite
You're right. !t is! I don't even remember when I last charge that device. That endurable battery is ridiculous or something, coming from that size. Timbre and solid dark background presentation are too quite special among all players I've tried. Lovely and modest, as well as easy to carry around

The Melli sounds to me basically like the Traillii in tuning, but with lower resolution, no EST smooth extension, and lesser-defined bass quality. The mids' timbre is trademark Oriolus, natural and can captivate at times. The remnants or perhaps building block yet assembled? Similar fit and proneness to pressure build-up with its relative

The Euclid with its 18mm planar sounded too thin and distant. Note weight seems missing, but the tuned FR and tone sounded quite alright. It's less dense than typical BA in definition, and each note felt a bit anemic and overall presentation dimmed despite getting enough driving power

EXT too was quite alright. It's a step-up to the Elysium IMO. Larger wider stage, with good depth. As well as bigger more thumpy bass which sounded full and substantial. Notes are all well-defined with superb resolution. Mids have good timbre too, reminiscence of the DD HALC contained and emitted by the ol' Ely. This time with more weight and warmth added in. BUT, either due to pairing or preference with SR25 and my ears, the treble I found was too sharp bright harsh in some parts, especially the mid-treble area. Too much for my sensitivity and liking. The EST I felt gives way too much energy and excitement , that lends its sound to be less coherent with its warmer more laidback organic rest of frequency (one big DD low and one small DD mid). Reminded me of the 64 Duo somehow with its two sides, part warmish, part splashy and bright at the upper. It is clinical, but not quite. Maybe in some tracks it isn't that apparent. YMMV

And on a final note, I think I just found my new favourite IEM tips, made by...you guessed it...

PSX_20220323_215046.jpg
Just replaced the Spiral Dots/AET07 on the Z1R/IE900 respectively.
Oh man! Those Sony tips, they're really comfy and soft like silk (if there is ever one silicone silk) to the skin. They're one of the cheapest tips at the store here ($4 retail), but commends a high value due to its excellent material quality. It feels close to dissapearing when/if you manage to get a good fit

I saw Amazon JP is having a laughable discount for them right now at less than $2

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #16,873 of 91,345

2022-03-24 13.05.17.jpg

2022-03-24 13.09.17.jpg

2022-03-24 13.14.04.jpg
Wow, that escalated quickly! Nice! Especially interested to see what you end up settling with since I’m going through a similar process. And thank you for being worse than me 😄 what’s the one at the end on the last picture? Hiby RS6?

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #16,874 of 91,345
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #16,875 of 91,345
I agree. Once you read something, it is in your mind.

Hypothetical situation:

1) User A buys IEM "X" based off User B's suggestion. Lets say user A is at a 9 in terms of satisfaction overall.

2) User B buys a new IEM called "Z". He now touts the IEM Z as a big upgrade to the IEM "X"

3) User A internalizes that information. His satisfaction now drops to an 8 because now despite his IEM sounding the same, the perception changed. The possibility of a better experience is there.

Its also the same scenario with product releases from a manufacturer. This is why the best plan is long term, sustainable upgrades.
This is true, also quite diplomatic. What usually happens is someone gets IEM Z and then proceeds to claim it's a 'night and day difference', 'in a different universe', and that IEM X sounds like 'cr@p'.

Same kind of language we've seen with the recent N8ii hype. Won't be the first time, or the last. What we need to keep in mind is some perspective. That comes with experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back