The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 9, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #3,616 of 3,728
@bigjako I think you are well covered with your amps and other amp will just be side grade for you unless you go ultra-high end. I would suggest getting some preamp to compliment the amps you already have.
I personally don't think the Aegis would be a side grade, but that is also just my opinion. :wink:

The Aegis is magical, and I don't see what the "ultra-high end" could offer more.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #3,617 of 3,728
I've found with the Aegis, it's quite easy to go from a very dynamic, open, leaner transparent sound to a thicker more romantic type sound by switching between the many tube options. At one point I found the EL39 too thick for me but this was with a Brimar 5R4GY and 5691. Great texture etc but for my tastes was lacking some top end. I swapped the Brimar for the Elrog 274b and it made all the difference for me... the right balance for me of warmth and detail.

You don't need to spend silly money either, plenty of good options out there where you can buy NOS power tubes for less than £100 a pair. It's part of the fun playing around. One of my favourite rectifier tubes for bigger staging cost £15. One of the best rectifiers can be had for £70 or so.

There are so many combinations that are possible tweaking the sound to match preferences and chain it's easy to create different load outs for different genres and moods.

It's funny, when I see everyone mention clarity (without fatigue). I feel the same way but each time someone who's not into headphones etc listens to my system, the first thing they say is is sounds so clear it sounds real, in the room real.

I have to say, when I saw @Wes S mention he was going to move on his 300b amp I was quite surprised. I know how much he loved that amp from his postings so that really does speak volumes of how well the Aegis performs. My wallet would also like to thank him for that as what little desire I had to buy a 300b amp has more or less vanished now 🙏🏻. I'm more focused on looking to try more tube options for the Aegis... just need a bigger storage case :L3000:
Someone needs to have a tube tuning kit guide. Rank each type of tubes and sounds. Maybe make a chart out of it? :o2smile:

May 9, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #3,618 of 3,728
Someone needs to have a tube tuning kit guide. Rank each type of tubes and sounds. Maybe make a chart out of it? :o2smile:
The thing is it will be different for everyone, as there are so many different tubes, preferences, gear in the chain. . .

May 9, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #3,619 of 3,728
A lot of people like EL37, but they are getting very expensive. 6550 also popular, but again, expensive. I'm honestly surprised more people haven't tried 6L6 types, there are so many variants of that tube. I have a pair of Ken-Rad 6L6G that sound fantastic. From new production, I'm personally curious about KT90, but haven't taken the time to try them out.

May 9, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #3,620 of 3,728
A lot of people like EL37, but they are getting very expensive. 6550 also popular, but again, expensive. I'm honestly surprised more people haven't tried 6L6 types, there are so many variants of that tube. I have a pair of Ken-Rad 6L6G that sound fantastic. From new
I am currently running some cheap 70's Russian 6P3S (6L6 equivalent) and they are fantastic. I like them so much, I have an earlier version from the 50's on the way, and I plan to explore more of the American 6L6 very soon

I also have some Mullard EL33, and a Mullard GZ32 & GZ34 on the way to get some of the Mullard flavor in the mix.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #3,621 of 3,728
I am currently running some cheap 70's Russian 6P3S (6L6 equivalent) and they are fantastic. I like them so much, I have an earlier version from the 50's on the way, and I plan to explore more of the American 6L6 very soon

I also have some Mullard EL33, and a Mullard GZ32 & GZ34 on the way to get some of the Mullard flavor in the mix.

Just FYI, I haven't measured the bias of the EL33 in the real world, only in simulation. It's a low wattage tube (max plate dissipation 9W). In simulation, it should bias fine, but on the hotter side, close to 9W. If you want to be precautious, you could use the GZ32 in place of the GZ34 which will knock 10-15V off the plate voltage and cool off the bias point a little bit. Other higher Vdrop rectifiers like 5U4, 5R4, 5Y3, etc. will cool it off even more. I'll keep an eye out for a pair to try out myself and take some measurements.

In fact, I think I'll end up buying some pairs of other lower power tubes as well so I can advise on which rectifiers to use with them in case they are biasing a little hot. KT63 / 6F6, for example, is another one where rectifier choice may come into play.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #3,622 of 3,728
In fact, I think I'll end up buying some pairs of other lower power tubes as well so I can advise on which rectifiers to use with them in case they are biasing a little hot. KT63 / 6F6, for example, is another one where rectifier choice may come into play.
I have a few KT63's on my eBay watch list. One day! They look great tubes!

I gave in to temptation yesterday. I'd been watching a pair of Mullard ECC35 1955 tall boys but wasn't willing to pay the premium. They've been sat there for a while. Then they offered 25% off... so I pushed for 33% and they said yes. So a pair are on there way to me 😀

May 9, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #3,623 of 3,728
I have a few KT63's on my eBay watch list. One day! They look great tubes!

I gave in to temptation yesterday. I'd been watching a pair of Mullard ECC35 1955 tall boys but wasn't willing to pay the premium. They've been sat there for a while. Then they offered 25% off... so I pushed for 33% and they said yes. So a pair are on there way to me 😀

Nice! I got a great deal on a perfect pair a while back, 145 GBP plus shipping. As I recall there was something up with the test results reported that I realized was an error 🤔 think it was stopping people from buying them, but they tested NOS on arrival.

May 9, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #3,624 of 3,728
So I’ve been eyeing an amp upgrade after picking up an AO in the most recent resin drop a few weeks back.

I’m currently between the Homage, HA-2A, or HA-3A. Does anyone here have any experience running a Caldera/AC/AO through any of these? Specifically, which would be the best amp to complement these 3?

Additionally, I recall that ZMF has a bundle discount for the amps, and that the discount is applicable within a certain time window, is that right?

Other suggestions around this price range would be great too. No real preference between SS/Tubes, but leaning slightly towards tubes.

And while I’m here, might as well ask for a DAC recommendation to pair with the amp, under $1000 preferably. Thanks.

May 9, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #3,625 of 3,728
Just FYI, I haven't measured the bias of the EL33 in the real world, only in simulation. It's a low wattage tube (max plate dissipation 9W). In simulation, it should bias fine, but on the hotter side, close to 9W. If you want to be precautious, you could use the GZ32 in place of the GZ34 which will knock 10-15V off the plate voltage and cool off the bias point a little bit. Other higher Vdrop rectifiers like 5U4, 5R4, 5Y3, etc. will cool it off even more. I'll keep an eye out for a pair to try out myself and take some measurements.
Thanks for the info! I do have a GZ32 and "potato masher" 5R4 on the way, so will use those with the EL33.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #3,626 of 3,728
Thanks for the info! I do have a GZ32 and potato masher 5U4 on the way, so will use those with the EL33.

I'm going to buy a pair so I'll let you know if GZ34 will work too!

May 9, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #3,627 of 3,728
So I’ve been eyeing an amp upgrade after picking up an AO in the most recent resin drop a few weeks back.

I’m currently between the Homage, HA-2A, or HA-3A. Does anyone here have any experience running a Caldera/AC/AO through any of these? Specifically, which would be the best amp to complement these 3?

Additionally, I recall that ZMF has a bundle discount for the amps, and that the discount is applicable within a certain time window, is that right?

Other suggestions around this price range would be great too. No real preference between SS/Tubes, but leaning slightly towards tubes.

And while I’m here, might as well ask for a DAC recommendation to pair with the amp, under $1000 preferably. Thanks.

Don't sleep on anything from Audio-GD. For R2R, their R-1 NOS is far and away better than any chip based DAC under $1000 or even $2000. For the amp, my understanding is that the Atrium is on the warm side, so SS could be better for you if you don't want any more warmth. R2R DAC + SS easily leans on the warm side so I don't think you need to worry about loosing the tonal quality of the Atrium. I can't really speak about any amps specifically, but my 2 cents is this. OTL's are great but you can still get super liquidity in the music from transformer coupled tube amps without the added warmth, and lack of versatility, from an OTL.

Me personally I don't like the Cayin amps because they aren't symmetrical and they have too much writing on their face. If I were you I'd look into getting a second hand Woo WA-22.

May 9, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #3,628 of 3,728

I only have experience with the HA-3A out of those and it's fantastic with all my ZMFs (Caldera, Auteur Classic & Bokeh, so ranges the gamut of ZMF driver types) and I prefer to use it over my Violectric V226. You'll likely want to upgrade tubes to get it in peak performance so something to keep in mind. My understanding is the HA-2A might be a good fit if you just aim to run stock tubes and not fuss much with rolling. Homage of course, if you decide you'd rather have a solid-state.

Regarding DACs around the $1,000 mark, the Holo Cyan 2 is becoming very well regarded in price-to-performance. I can't speak to it directly just yet but I have one on order so hopefully in a couple weeks. @betula also has the HA-3A and Cyan 2 and from what I gather is a big fan of both.

May 9, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #3,629 of 3,728
that's just an esoteric and specific combo, not sure how many others will ever get their hands on it. But this is getting 2 amps instead of one, and I do prefer the Decware/ZMF OTL for my ZMF dynamic amps and the decware combo for my Caldera. It's a very committed combo in both amp purchases (with total cost of around double the Aegis) and tube rolling (again double tubes). For me, the OTL is the ultimate driver for high impedance dynamics. I wrote a whole review so don't want to repeat too much, but it's just incredibly lush and immersive. The Decware combo is extremely holographic and makes the Caldera sing in a unique way.

if I looked for one amp that would be best to play both dynamics and planars, I'd choose the Aegis. For example, I can't drive the Tungsten off the above combo, but the Aegis is one of the best amps I've ever heard with it. Similarly, I can't drive low impedance dynamic headphones with the OTL in most cases, but the Aegis can do that very well. The Aegis can even drive IEMs with a totally dark noise floor (incredible when considering it's range of power).

That is why I have both. And why there are never simple answers in our hobby.. only trade offs in the context of your goals. Hope this helps you pursue your goals..
Certainly does help. Well worded as always! I look forward to listening to the Aegis in Dallas again later this year.

May 9, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #3,630 of 3,728
I’d highly recommend a second-hand Schiit Gungnir Multibit. Fantastic pairing with ZMFs, and will run about $800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back