The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 6, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #3,571 of 3,728
If you want a single amp for all ZMF headphones, planar and dynamic, +1 on the Aegis!

May 6, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #3,572 of 3,728
@Monsterzero - Not totally starting fresh. My two channel system is very nice and works well. The "new" is a desktop centric system that could have a tube headphone amp.

One thing that seems apparent is that an OTL amp is a good pairing with a high impedance headphone like the ZMF. I will defentily take a look at the Aegis and read the review posted here on HeadFi. It might be a touch physically large for my space. Also, while this has nothing to do with sound quality, I am a bit mixed on ascetics based on on the photos I have scene. But as others have stated, the Aegis would appear to be voiced to be a natural amp from the ZMH headphones.

I have a pro audio dealer close by that sells Weiss and will see if they have or could get a loaner for their demo studio.

May 6, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #3,573 of 3,728
@Monsterzero - Not totally starting fresh. My two channel system is very nice and works well. The "new" is a desktop centric system that could have a tube headphone amp.

One thing that seems apparent is that an OTL amp is a good pairing with a high impedance headphone like the ZMF. I will defentily take a look at the Aegis and read the review posted here on HeadFi. It might be a touch physically large for my space. Also, while this has nothing to do with sound quality, I am a bit mixed on ascetics based on on the photos I have scene. But as others have stated, the Aegis would appear to be voiced to be a natural amp from the ZMH headphones.

I have a pro audio dealer close by that sells Weiss and will see if they have or could get a loaner for their demo studio.
I have a very rare, one of six on the planet, OTL.
My OTL, the Airmid, was designed and built by the same dude who designed and built the Aegis, l0rdgwyn.
Other than Zach and Keenan himself, I'm probably the only person who has had both the Airmid and Aegis in their home, side by side, for an extended multi week shootout. In fact, if you check out page one, post one of this thread, that's the Aegis and Airmid side by side.
As I mentioned above, if I were to do it all over again I'd take the Aegis. It hits harder, has more air and stages better than the Airmid. Not by a huge margin, but a margin nonetheless. The fact that it can drive most of the headphones out there is icing on the cake. With the Airmid I'm limited to the thirty or so high impedance headphones in existence.

If it weren't for the fact that my personality dictates that I require every god tier tube in existence for a given amp before I can relax and enjoy myself, I'd get the Aegis.

I have all of the god tier tubes for the Airmid (except for a couple) , and I'm not interested in starting all over chasing tubes for another amp.

Audiophile nervosa is strong in this one.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #3,574 of 3,728
If you want a single amp for all ZMF headphones, planar and dynamic, +1 on the Aegis!
Be careful with your words. You're toying with my wallet!

May 6, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #3,575 of 3,728
I definitely love the Aegis with all my ZMFs. I don’t even get tempered by other tube amps anymore

May 6, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #3,576 of 3,728

let me help... why settle for 1? Get both the Decware/ZMF OTL and ZMF Aegis and you are truly set for all ZMF headphones... :wink:

May 6, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #3,577 of 3,728
let me help... why settle for 1? Get both the Decware/ZMF OTL and ZMF Aegis and you are truly set for all ZMF headphones... :wink:
You're... a monster.

May 6, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #3,578 of 3,728
May 6, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #3,579 of 3,728

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 7, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #3,580 of 3,728
I have a very rare, one of six on the planet, OTL.
My OTL, the Airmid, was designed and built by the same dude who designed and built the Aegis, l0rdgwyn.
Other than Zach and Keenan himself, I'm probably the only person who has had both the Airmid and Aegis in their home, side by side, for an extended multi week shootout. In fact, if you check out page one, post one of this thread, that's the Aegis and Airmid side by side.
As I mentioned above, if I were to do it all over again I'd take the Aegis. It hits harder, has more air and stages better than the Airmid. Not by a huge margin, but a margin nonetheless. The fact that it can drive most of the headphones out there is icing on the cake. With the Airmid I'm limited to the thirty or so high impedance headphones in existence.

If it weren't for the fact that my personality dictates that I require every god tier tube in existence for a given amp before I can relax and enjoy myself, I'd get the Aegis.

I have all of the god tier tubes for the Airmid (except for a couple) , and I'm not interested in starting all over chasing tubes for another amp.

Audiophile nervosa is strong in this one.

I've currently have the luxury of comparing the Aegis and the Airmid (I have Zach's on loan). They are both wonderful amps. If I had to choose one, it would be the Aegis due to its ability to drive basically anything, but in a perfect world I'd have both.

May 7, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #3,581 of 3,728
I've currently have the luxury of comparing the Aegis and the Airmid (I have Zach's on loan). They are both wonderful amps. If I had to choose one, it would be the Aegis due to its ability to drive basically anything, but in a perfect world I'd have both.
That must be fun! Consider me a bit jealous. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I missed out on the Airmid just barely and I am so thankful the Aegis came about.

After watching the youtube video, perhaps there will be an OTL of some sort eventually. . .You can bet I will be ready for that one if and when it ever happens.

@L0rdGwyn's amps are it for me.

May 7, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #3,582 of 3,728
That must be fun! Consider me a bit jealous. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I missed out on the Airmid just barely and I am so thankful the Aegis came about.

After watching the youtube video, perhaps there will be an OTL of some sort eventually. . .You can bet I will be ready for that one if and when it ever happens.

@L0rdGwyn's amps are it for me.

Yeah, I would love to see a commercial Airmid'ish OTL at some point. But, for now, the Aegis is a nice consolation prize.

May 7, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #3,583 of 3,728

Great video and nice to put a face with your name Keenan.

I need another amp like I need a hole in my head, but this makes me want to dabble with an Aegis build.

Thanks for the video, two great guys with the same love, passion and dedication to their craft.

May 7, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #3,584 of 3,728
Great video and nice to put a face with your name Keenan.

I need another amp like I need a hole in my head, but this makes me want to dabble with an Aegis build.

Thanks for the video, two great guys with the same love, passion and dedication to their craft.
Ditto!

May 7, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #3,585 of 3,728
With all of the talk lately of the Aegis I should prolly re-post my Aegis review I did way back when. Granted this is a review of the DIY version, but apparently the ZMF version sounds essentially the same, with some nice quality of life features thrown in.
If you just want my down and dirty, quick opinion of the Aegis, FF to 18:20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back