The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Aug 7, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #2,041 of 3,558
Does anyone have a solid state pairing they love with the atriums?

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #2,042 of 3,558

CFA-3 for me. This amp has lots upper frequency resolution and speed which synergizes very well with the Atrium

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #2,043 of 3,558
- Violectric V222 paired to Geshelli JNOG2 DAC
- The Nitsch collaboration with Schiit: Magni-Piety "Magpie" is good bang for the buck

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #2,045 of 3,558
Question for the group here (apologies if this has been covered in this large thread):
I am looking for a decent OTL Tube AMP $500 range that is NOT a BHC. I've tried my hand at the BHC and failed to the point that I don't trust plugging in any expensive phones into it without someone who is more technically advanced then me with soldering wires. Is what it is.
I loved how the Feliks Echo Mk1 sounded with it but really can't find that amp new anywhere these days. Any other suggestions?
I noticed that while the Woo WA-6 SE was mentioned, the WA-2 was not. To me, the WA-2 (with upgraded tubes) gives you the lush, sweet sound that tubes are so revered for, while retaining tight bass and a surprisingly high level of detail.

While the WA-6SE is more versatile with different headphone designs, I’d recommend the WA-2 if you go the Woo Audio route- as you are OK with more specialized amps.

I’ve also seen a very reasonably-priced WA-22 for sale on USAM, but the WA-22 is apparently less romantic-sounding and leans into other strengths (detail, slam, balanced capabilities).

Food for thought, perhaps. 😊

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #2,046 of 3,558
CFA-3 for me. This amp has lots upper frequency resolution and speed which synergizes very well with the Atrium
Any thoughts on the new Head Amp CFA3? Will it be the same?

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #2,047 of 3,558
Any thoughts on the new Head Amp CFA3? Will it be the same?

I demo-ed the HeadAmp CFA-3 prototype at Chicago CanJam (my detailed are impressions are: here), and as best I could compare from memory, it sounded pretty identical to my dukei built CFA3, which is a good thing.

The HeadAmp unit has a plus of having a smaller form factor, though more expensive (I might sell mine and get it, as my CFA3 has speaker taps that I don’t need, but we’ll see..)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2,048 of 3,558
I demo-ed the HeadAmp CFA-3 prototype at Chicago CanJam (my detailed are impressions are: here), and as best I could compare from memory, it sounded pretty identical to my dukei built CFA3, which is a good thing.

The HeadAmp unit has a plus of having a smaller form factor, though more expensive (I might sell mine and get it, as my CFA3 has speaker taps that I don’t need, but we’ll see..)
Thank you! I will have a read.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,050 of 3,558
Thanks everyone, looking through these options they are a bit out of my price range. The vioelectric is catching my eye though.

What would be the best SS to bring the imaging capabilities out of the atrium. My budget is around $1000 to $1500, I'm willing to go to 2K if it is significantly worth it.

My current setup is a Schiit bifrost 2/64 with a Topping A30 Pro, I also have a tube amp (TA-26s) but I'll be looking to upgrade that at a later time.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #2,051 of 3,558
Thanks everyone, looking through these options they are a bit out of my price range. The vioelectric is catching my eye though.

What would be the best SS to bring the imaging capabilities out of the atrium. My budget is around $1000 to $1500, I'm willing to go to 2K if it is significantly worth it.

My current setup is a Schiit bifrost 2/64 with a Topping A30 Pro, I also have a tube amp (TA-26s) but I'll be looking to upgrade that at a later time.
I'd recommend waiting til the JDS x ZMF SS amp comes out in the next couple months to see what people think of that since it should also be right at the $1k price point. I'm in the same position of looking to upgrade to a SS amp around that price, and I've decided I'll either go with a Violectric V202 or the JDS x ZMF. Hopefully there will be some comparisons in here after it's released!

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,052 of 3,558

Just as a suggestion.
Why not go for the Cayin Ha 3A and get the jds labs later if you really need it, since you're willing to stretch the budget.
You'd be on the winning road for the time being.
Also because the 3A has a good price-performance ratio and leaves some SS amps to the left.
You sell the T26 automatically when you no longer see any use for it.
Apart from that, the amp would go well with the headphones you have and give you another wing.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #2,053 of 3,558

I don't have the Bifrost but there are some good impressions of it paired with Violectric mentioned in this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/violectric-v222-and-v202.963504/page-13
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/violectric-v222-and-v202.963504/page-28

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #2,054 of 3,558
This is extending past the $2k ceiling, but the DSHA-3FN will probably be great with ZMFs since I saw people in this thread were very happy with the DSHA-3F.

For anyone interested, there's now pics of the amp up on the page, and it looks like it will be open for orders very soon and will start shipping on the 14th. Unfortunately it's way past my budget but the form factor also seems really nice.

https://nitschsound.com/products/dsha-3fn

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #2,055 of 3,558
This is extending past the $2k ceiling, but the DSHA-3FN will probably be great with ZMFs since I saw people in this thread were very happy with the DSHA-3F.

For anyone interested, there's now pics of the amp up on the page, and it looks like it will be open for orders very soon and will start shipping on the 14th. Unfortunately it's way past my budget but the form factor also seems really nice.

https://nitschsound.com/products/dsha-3fn
I don't like the wooden sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back