The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 21, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #1,741 of 3,735
Is a good trade the Euforia AE for the HA6A?. I was selling the Euforia AE to save and maybe get 300b next year, but I could have the chance to trade it for a HA6A.

May 21, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #1,742 of 3,735
Hello,
I would say it depends.
The Ha6 will certainly drive your Caldera better than the Euforia.
And even better than the Ha3.

Technically speaking, the Euforia is an Otl and the Ha6 is a set amplifier.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.
The Euforia is perhaps technically simpler.

Whether you end up buying expensive 5998,6080 tubes for the Euforia or Kt88/EL34 doesn't really matter.

I think the Ha6 is actually well made, also because of the triode and the other modes.
Unfortunately, the thing with the potentiometer ruined this amplifier for me personally.
A step poti may be okay but it has to fit.
It should be adjustable in 0.5 db steps, not higher.
Because that can quickly become too loud or too quiet.
But in general I find a step pot the most impractical thing you can do to an amp.

If you are comfortable with the idea and the cost of the tubes, which are also somewhat limited, there is nothing wrong with it.
I think the Ha6 will also be a bit above the Euforia in sound and a bit more powerful.

May 21, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,743 of 3,735
Is a good trade the Euforia AE for the HA6A?. I was selling the Euforia AE to save and maybe get 300b next year, but I could have the chance to trade it for a HA6A.
Tough choice! I think HA6A is definitely more versatile being OTC for planars/low impedance and it also has more tube option/mode combinations to choose from. On the other hand the Euforia has great Synergy with high impedance ZMFs which most of us here are fond of on some level. So I suppose it's a trade-off to some extent, but that's subjective. Maybe you can compare approximate resell value for each and see if that helps you decide :thinking:. I haven't really heard anything bad about HA6A.

May 21, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #1,744 of 3,735
Tough choice! I think HA6A is definitely more versatile being OTC for planars/low impedance and it also has more tube option/mode combinations to choose from. On the other hand the Euforia has great Synergy with high impedance ZMFs which most of us here are fond of on some level. So I suppose it's a trade-off to some extent, but that's subjective. Maybe you can compare approximate resell value for each and see if that helps you decide :thinking:. I haven't really heard anything bad about HA6A.
That I was thinking, loose the synergy with high impedance ZMF in exchange of versatility. At first I wanted to sell Euforia because wanted to have only the SS. But now I have the Bliss and Caldera, I would like to give a try to the HA6A or save money for the HA-300B... If only I had a hifi show near to me and I could try a 300b, I am curious about their sound.

May 21, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #1,745 of 3,735
i personally have not heard euforia AE, but i have heard HA-6A, Euforia, Euforia EVO, and currently own elise.

i much prefer the sound of the Euforia OG and Elise:
update: I took the time today to try the other Feliks models; namely the Elise and Euforia OG.

tl;dr: i like the Elise more, but I'm not sure whether to risk getting used due to the volatility of tube amps.

Let me preface this by saying that I have only owned aeolus for about 3 months , and am pretty confident on how it sounds. What I'm not sure on is how it scales with different amps, which is why i have the Atrium is for; to see how the amp scales with better headphones.

I was using the Atrium and the Aeolus (in both uni suede + lambskin) on both amps. Atrium was used just to reveal anything else about the amps that I might not have heard on Aeolus. Thoughts and opinions are formed on the Aeolus, since that's what I'm getting the amp for.

Euforia for me was really nice: the sheer detail on it was pretty eye-opening, albeit coming at the cost of female vocals (and sometimes cymbals) sounding slightly too bright and being slightly unbearable. With Aeolus (on uni lambskin) it does alleviate that effect to a certain extent, but it still is present.

Elise was much more smooth; it straddles the line of being warmpoo and too detailed. With a slight bit of vocal emphasis + a wider soundstage (compared to Euforia), I enjoyed it much more. Music for me doesn't need to be the most detailed, it just needs to sound good and enjoyable, and the Elise does that for me better than the Euforia.

Overall I enjoyed both of them, and would definitely recommend checking them out.

My next question to you guys is: Should I worried about tubes/ tube amps during transport? There is a Elise on sale, and I'm not too sure if it's worth the trouble (vs buying new.

p.s: you also need to consider the 22DE4 tubes on the HA-6A that can be hard to source, as well as the fact that its about 19.5kg (44 pounds), and gets much hotter than the Euforia AE. As others mentioned, the HA-6A will drive your caldera; but if you're getting a 300B amp, might as well wait for that to come, and keep the Euforia for the Atrium

May 21, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #1,746 of 3,735
That I was thinking, loose the synergy with high impedance ZMF in exchange of versatility. At first I wanted to sell Euforia because wanted to have only the SS. But now I have the Bliss and Caldera, I would like to give a try to the HA6A or save money for the HA-300B... If only I had a hifi show near to me and I could try a 300b, I am curious about their sound.
You'll be swapping something that you know will sound good to you with the Atrium for something that's at best a side grade and a bit more versatile. That's assuming you like that new sound in the first place. Never blind trade.

May 21, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,747 of 3,735
But now I have the Bliss and Caldera, I would like to give a try to the HA6A or save money for the HA-300B...

Given you already have the Bliss for the Caldera, I’d keep the OTL for the dynamic headphones and avoid the trade. Just upgrade in the future if you ever have the itch and funds. The Euforia complements the bliss much more.

May 21, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #1,749 of 3,735
I can report @zach915m wasn’t telling no lies when he said the Cayin iHA-6 sounds great with ZMF dynamics as well as planars. I’m using the low impedance (10 Ohms) single-ended jack he recommends on the ZMF product page with my OG Auteur. I’ve got the amp in high-current mode and have it set to low gain. My Auteur sounds basically as good as it does on either of my tube amps, which is high praise. I’m sure the tubes offer a little magic that this little workhorse can’t quite match, but I’m hard pressed to find something to complain about.

For the record, my Meze Elite is also sounding great from the balanced XLR output. I’m really glad I snagged this amp. I don’t know if I’ve ever gotten such a good deal on a piece of audio equipment. Thanks again @Bonddam!

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,750 of 3,735
Having a day with the Euforia AE and Atrium listening classic rock I listened yesterday with the Calderas. I was hearing new sounds I didnt know they were there and I know well these songs as well the Atrium, as have been the only headphone I had during last year, more than 1500h listening. I even dont know how I considered to sell the beautiful piece of Euforia AE, thanks god I went to ask you all. I have now two completely different worlds.

I should take a break about overthinking on new gear and just get the quality cables all my gear deserved long ago.

Btw, I always had a question in my mind about tube amps. Did someone see a tube die? What happens if the tube die while using the amp? How do you know if a tube is about to die? I have a pair of TungSol 5998 with unknown usage time, but I guess a lot, tho they work perfectly to the point that they eliminated that 10% audio hum stock tubes had.

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,751 of 3,735
Does anyone on hear have any experience with Eufonica amps? I particularly the Eufonica H22M OTL?

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,752 of 3,735
It's a Tung Sol evening. TS VT-94 +5998+ Auteur classic.

20230602_222604.jpg

20230602_225629.jpg

20230602_222653.jpg

Jun 4, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,753 of 3,735
Got to love a little GEC house sound in the mix...

20230603_053514.jpg

The 50's CV1135 from the GEC Hammersmith factory is a killer tube, and smokes any 6SN7 out there. Speed, texture, layering, dynamics, holographic staging to die for and harmonic richness is all here in spades.

I have never heard my VC's sound so right, and it's adapter tubes for the win!

The Cayin HA300mk2 continues to blow my mind everytime I listen, and it's almost been a year of ownership now. It's such an amazing amp, and fits my preferences just perfect.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,754 of 3,735
It's a Tung Sol evening. TS VT-94 +5998+ Auteur classic.

Love it! Leaning into the headphones sound sig is the best way to go in my opinion, and I imagine those TS and Auteur sound incredible together.

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,755 of 3,735
CV1135 from the GEC Hammersmith factory is a killer tube
Curious, are those a plug and play replacement for 6sn7s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back