The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #631 of 3,548
I’m game to learn anything, but want to understand the science and theory behind it - what does changing fuse do to the audio signal path?

Thanks
I have had extremely positive results with upgrading fuses, and the Audio Magic M1 is what I use. The M1 really helped lower the noise floor and increase dynamics and stage expansion as well as detail and nuances with my HA300MK2. I think it depends on how clean your power is coming from the wall, that determines how much of an improvement or not an upgraded fuse can have. Clean power is everything.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #632 of 3,548
Transformer-coupled amps are no doubt more versatile than OTL, yet many still prefer the sound of OTL amps and will live with their limitations.

What’s the disadvantages of using transformer-coupled topologies? Are there mechanisms known that could negatively impact the sound by using transformers?

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #633 of 3,548
I have had extremely positive results with upgrading fuses, and the Audio Magic M1 is what I use. The M1 really helped lower the noise floor and increase dynamics and stage expansion as well as detail and nuances with my HA300MK2. I think it depends on how clean your power is coming from the wall, that determines how much of an improvement or not an upgraded fuse can have. Clean power is everything.

I have very clean power to start (surprisingly/luckily in a Manhattan apt buildling), coupled with IsoTek EVO3 Aquarius conditioner and decent power cables.

That said, I've love to understand the science behind this if you know - I assume the fuse is there to protect the circuit and breaks when it overloads. What causes the quality of fuse to impact the quality of the signal path? I'm aware others have experienced this upgrade path, but I'm curious about the theory (whether I would be able to hear it or not) of why this impacts the chain and how.

Purely curious. I have no knowledge or experience of this specific issue, and therefore I have no opinion

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #634 of 3,548
Ive been rocking a Feliks Audio Elise Mk2 OTL am for about 1.5 years and so far, its the best combination along with my Yggy LIM for any and all ZMF cans. I just bought a Cayin HA6A from Zmf and even that cannot match the Elise when it comes to natural timbre and synergy of the Elise. I am too scared to upgrade my Elise because i honeslty dont know what else is out there that matches so well with ZMF. Maybe down the road, i ll upgrade to another Feliks OTL such as Euforia EVO or even the Envy if I can sell one of my kidneys.

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #635 of 3,548
I have very clean power to start (surprisingly/luckily in a Manhattan apt buildling), coupled with IsoTek EVO3 Aquarius conditioner and decent power cables.

That said, I've love to understand the science behind this if you know - I assume the fuse is there to protect the circuit and breaks when it overloads. What causes the quality of fuse to impact the quality of the signal path? I'm aware others have experienced this upgrade path, but I'm curious about the theory (whether I would be able to hear it or not) of why this impacts the chain and how.

Purely curious. I have no knowledge or experience of this specific issue, and therefore I have no opinion
I don't have a clue how it does what it does, but it sure does something in my system. I think there might be some black magic involved. . .I have actually yet to hear an answer to your question, and if you find out please share.

Nov 23, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #636 of 3,548
I don't have a clue how it does what it does, but it sure does something in my system. I think there might be some black magic involved. . .I have actually yet to hear an answer to your question, and if you find out please share.

Thanks @Wes S - will do

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #637 of 3,548
Ive been rocking a Feliks Audio Elise Mk2 OTL am for about 1.5 years and so far, its the best combination along with my Yggy LIM for any and all ZMF cans. I just bought a Cayin HA6A from Zmf and even that cannot match the Elise when it comes to natural timbre and synergy of the Elise. I am too scared to upgrade my Elise because i honeslty dont know what else is out there that matches so well with ZMF. Maybe down the road, i ll upgrade to another Feliks OTL such as Euforia EVO or even the Envy if I can sell one of my kidneys.
You are right to be wary. I heard the Feliks Envy with the Atrium at CanJam SoCal and it was a dangerously good combo. (Dangerous for my wallet, that is. :) )

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #638 of 3,548
Nov 23, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #639 of 3,548
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #640 of 3,548

Edit: Ehh never mind, I don't want to upset anyone.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #641 of 3,548
Edit: Ehh never mind, I don't want to upset anyone.

Please... share... I'm sure you are more technically informed than most of us. Even if contrarian to other opinions previously shared, I, for one, want to learn from whoever I can and not be limited in exposure to knowledge and opinion. And this isn't a religious thread of dogma, but a place we share knowledge and opinions and take what we want. I'm sure everyone will be polite(!)

Personally, I don't get the fuse thing. But I don't know what I don't know, and I'd like to find out. If you think this isn't something that makes a difference in the signal path (or if you do), I'd love to learn from your perspective....

1669265814225.png

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #642 of 3,548
Nov 24, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #643 of 3,548
What’s the disadvantages of using transformer-coupled topologies?
Cost. Output transformers are expensive but provide a low impedance option that isn't possible with OTL. The best amps I've heard are transformer coupled and I prefer it over an OTL.
What Wes said.
Fair enough. 300b have a very distinct sound but I'd also add that a good 2a3 is rather special in it's own right. In fact all tubes sounds great in their own right.

Nov 24, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #644 of 3,548
Nov 24, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #645 of 3,548
Cost. Output transformers are expensive but provide a low impedance option that isn't possible with OTL. The best amps I've heard are transformer coupled and I prefer it over an OTL.
There must be other differences. Many in this group claim that OTLs provide some sort of holographic magic that OTCs do not. I cannot compare, as I went with an OTC, so I could use it with all types of headphones, including planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back