The ultimate DAP! 512GB storage, 10,000mAh battery, features of Note 4, 32bit 382kHz / DSD, Wi-fi support!
Aug 3, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #76 of 119
hey how can I get this setup working? I'm using the Galaxy Note 4 and connected a Geek Out 720 via USB OTG. But unfortunately it doesn't use the USB as output for audio. So how can I set it up? Do I have to change some settings? 

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #77 of 119
hey how can I get this setup working? I'm using the Galaxy Note 4 and connected a Geek Out 720 via USB OTG. But unfortunately it doesn't use the USB as output for audio. So how can I set it up? Do I have to change some settings? 

Install HibyMusic app. It will automatically recognize Geek Out as your main audio device.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #78 of 119
I've already installed it. My music got recognized as well 
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #79 of 119
I've already installed it. My music got recognized as well :confused:

Try USB Audio Player Pro?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dusb+audio+pro+player&pcampaignid=APPU_1_dle6Vem5JMXl0gTTnoXACA

There's a free trial version.

(it's $10 for the full app.)

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #80 of 119
Got it. The cable was the problem, I had connected the OTG cable to the usb extension of the Geek Out. Somehow it didn't work 
confused.gif

The Hiby player looks nice but I miss a in app volume control, which the USB Audio Player Pro got. Thanks for the advice :)
Thanks for all your help.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #81 of 119
Got it. The cable was the problem, I had connected the OTG cable to the usb extension of the Geek Out. Somehow it didn't work :confused:
The Hiby player looks nice but I miss a in app volume control, which the USB Audio Player Pro got. Thanks for the advice :)
Thanks for all your help.

This setup easily beat AK240. Add a 10,000mAh battery case for Note 3 or 4.
It's on sale on Amazon for only 50 dollars. It will make your cellphone last up to 14 hours with Geek Out.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #83 of 119
Do you have an ak240 there to compare? It's still a USB DAC plus phone with the noisier bits and clocking issues that go with it.

You get 10,000mAh battery, faster UI, comparably good sound quality from a good DAC of your choice. Once you use something like iBasso D14 Bushmaster, It will beat anything.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #87 of 119
  I have many options but I tend to prefer to actually listen to them before forming comparative opinions.

It's subjective... but the fact that AK240 has poor battery life and bad UI is proven everywhere. You don't expect that at price of 2500 USD.
This Note 3 or 4 plus DAC and HibyMusic option come with the very best compatibility and battery life.
10,000mAh battery for Note 3 has just released too. iBasso's new D14 DXD and DSD256, android compatible portable DAC is only 200 dollars now.

Remember that a decent HP laptop computer with i7 CPU, 500GB HDD and 8GB RAM is 299 dollars now. 
What these small DAP companies are doing isn't impressive for the price they're asking. I bet Hifiman can manufacture a HM901 for less than 80 dollars at their factory.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #88 of 119
It's subjective when you actually use one with an open mind. Until then, it's imaginary. I don't own one but when I used and listened to an AK240, I thought it's sound and UI excellent. You haven't a clue about the manufacturing process. The HM901s probably costs around $300 to make and needs to sell for what it does to continue to make it. We're a lot better off with it in the market.

If you think it's a rip, fine but understand that dedicated players have advantages and will cost more simply due to economies of scale. For me, as soon as you use usb to run your dac, it's performance compromised. Whether that compromise is more or less than what's inboard a dedicated player with it's local clock, fewer background processes, optimized PS and lower noise is open for debate but it's not just about 'bits' and adding up the parts. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #89 of 119
  It's subjective when you actually use one with an open mind. Until then, it's imaginary. I don't own one but when I used and listened to an AK240, I thought it's sound and UI excellent. You haven't a clue about the manufacturing process. The HM901s probably costs around $300 to make and needs to sell for what it does to continue to make it. We're a lot better off with it in the market.

If you think it's a rip, fine but understand that dedicated players have advantages and will cost more simply due to economies of scale. For me, as soon as you use usb to run your dac, it's performance compromised. Whether that compromise is more or less than what's inboard a dedicated player with it's local clock, fewer background processes, optimized PS and lower noise is open for debate but it's not just about 'bits' and adding up the parts. 

No. remember... if HP guys can make a great laptop for only $299 MSRP, device like HM901 would cost only $100 at Chinese factory. 
A piece of plastic and circuit boards aren't that expensive at all. They're like under a dollar. It's true that it costs some money to design and plan but actual material costs aren't as expensive as $999 unless they use 24k gold. 
It's like monopoly. There's no regulation and big competitors such as Apple or Samsung in this DAP industry, so they charge whatever they want. 

If you really want to get the best quality out of this setup, try Sony PHA-3 with balanced out. 
HibyMusic android app supports Sony PHA-3. Sony PHA-3 has two internal clocks and its balanced output is known to be much better-sounding than the majority of DAPs.

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #90 of 119
Sony PHA-3 has two internal clocks and its balanced output is known to be much better-sounding than the majority of DAPs.

It might be better than the majority sure (there are SO many low-end and mid-range DAPS out there so they make up the "majority") but whether the PHA-3 is better than the AK240 is conjecture and opinion and seemingly you've never heard either so is essentially just hyperbole from you. And you say the PHA-3 is a step up from the Geekout, and that the Geekout sounds (note we're talking about sound only here) better than the AK240 in which case surely you're stating the PHA-3 is THE best source around?

And yet you've never heard them to compare.

The project is nice and worthwhile but I don't get why you insist on all this hype based on nothing. Just stick to your own personal experiences - there's no need to big up the project just to get people to like you or whatever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back