The Ugliest headphones ever.
May 5, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #106 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are an acquired taste aesthetically. They're definitely a man's headphones, they look rough and unpolished, but that's their charm.

I think most people don't care that much about sound quality. For you to care about sound quality, you need to first care enough about music. Most people don't really go beyond skin deep when it comes to the nuances of music.

You have to admit though, there's definitely a fashion trend to smaller headphones these days. I remember in the late 90s, most people used full-sized. Then it progressed to behind the head, then clip-ons, and now finally with the ipod headphones, earbuds have become really popular. The pattern though is the same; the less you see, the better.

Also, the "shameless loser" is more directed towards the people under 25. If I saw a 50 year old with some stax in public, the reaction would be more like "damn he must be a rich mofo".

Well said. Appreciation for music should always come before appreciation for sound quality.

As for the trend towards smaller headphones, I would be more inclined to attribute that to the general shrinkage of technology in general. These days people seem to want them to be easier to use while traveling and take up less space. Of course I could see this trend eventually backfiring as people (hopefully) come to the conclusion that quality and usability should trump lilliputian styling.

EDIT: Oh and as for the comment about Grados being a "man's headphone," there are some pics scattered here throughout the forum that show women making them look good.

May 5, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #107 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said. Appreciation for music should always come before appreciation for sound quality.

As for the trend towards smaller headphones, I would be more inclined to attribute that to the general shrinkage of technology in general. These days people seem to want them to be easier to use while traveling and take up less space. Of course I could see this trend eventually backfiring as people (hopefully) come to the conclusion that quality and usability should trump lilliputian styling.

EDIT: Oh and as for the comment about Grados being a "man's headphone," there are some pics scattered here throughout the forum that show women making them look good.

More likely, earbuds technology will just keep improving and soon better earbuds will become the standard. Hopefully, anyway.

I personally like how Grados look. But lets be honest, if you knew nothing about headphones, and had to choose between a RS-1 and some Bose Quietcomfort 2's, you know you would pick the Quietcomforts.

The Bose are sleek, modern, and overall looks like the maker paid alot of detention to the details, from the padding to the silver paintjob.

When I see RS-1's, I imagine a sweaty, construction worker type man hammering and soldering together the pieces, grunting with each stroke. The padding is cheap foam, there's no cushions at the top, just cheap industrial plastic leather. The internal parts aren't even sealed away, the inner parts of the Grado can be seen through the grill.

Grados definitely have a lot of personality, no doubt about that. But the Bose looks like a modern professional product, while the Grados look more like DIY.

May 5, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #109 of 279
I love this thread. ^^

Here is MB Quart : QP400
QP400.jpg

May 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #110 of 279
you guys think the skullies are ugly because you have your equipment, but if you didnt know any better, you'd think
"woah! i didnt think anyone would take time to design headphones, they look awesome!"

thats why people buy skullies in the first place

May 7, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #114 of 279
May not be Ugliest ever, but certainly ugliest i've come across. I'm listening to it now, at my school's library... THE HORROR!

DSC00382.jpg

May 8, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #116 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by klamP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as i hate to say it, i would LOVE to see how they feel on my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually pretty comfortable !!!
wink_face.gif
But a bit too much clamping force ......

May 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #118 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They even have a "Audiophile" style...

Taken from the website:

"AUDIOPHILE
The return you’ll get, in terms of cred, on your investment in an AUDIOPHILE COLLECTION headphone supersedes the modest price of admission into the elite circle of connoisseurs. Your peers will spend less time clowning your taste in music and more time coveting your Skullcandy."

No, they wont. They'll laugh at you.

May 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #119 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell.lax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taken from the website:

"AUDIOPHILE
The return you’ll get, in terms of cred, on your investment in an AUDIOPHILE COLLECTION headphone supersedes the modest price of admission into the elite circle of connoisseurs. Your peers will spend less time clowning your taste in music and more time coveting your Skullcandy."

No, they wont. They'll laugh at you.

Atleast they won't be laughing about your taste of music anymore=P

May 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #120 of 279
imo, all full-size headphones are ugly if you wear them in public unless you're a girl.

Guys who wear full-sized headphones in public look like losers no matter what. It's like...we get it, you want good sound, but is it really necessary to bring that huge thing to the train/street/school wherever you're at? You really couldn't just wait til you got home?

When girls wear them though...it's a fashion statement
bigsmile_face.gif
. Sometimes I wear my MDR-700's to school around my neck just for the hell of it.

sony_mdr700_headphones.jpg

Sounds meh, but damn it looks classy with certain outfits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back