The Ugliest headphones ever.
May 5, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #92 of 279
The Sony MDR-XB700s aren't going to win any beauty pageants.
so1_02.jpg

I'm a sucker for big headphones; I couldn't resist and ordered a set
beyersmile.png

May 5, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #93 of 279
Clipz_1.jpg

The ugliest packaging ever.
wink.gif

As for ugly headphones, IMO:

Bose Triports are pretty ugly.
173_Bose-TriPort_silver.jpg

The ATH-PRO5 is not very nice-lookin'.
f_audiotechnica_athpro5.jpe

And these aren't lookers either...
IMG_3745.JPG

They aren't the ugliest around but I don't find the wheel-looking Sennheisers very nice...

Also, I know someone who has Labtec Elite 840s and they are pretty ugly.

41BQBW09W4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

May 5, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #94 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sennheiser3.jpg

oh god what the hell am i looking at here

Duh, a spaceship!

May 5, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #95 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sennheiser3.jpg

oh god what the hell am i looking at here

Looks kind of like one of the Zero Punctuation imps.

May 5, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #96 of 279
The worst thing to be seen wearing are deep IEMs, like the triple flange Etys after you've just taken them out on a warm day. Earwax is never a good look.

Worst looking ones to me would be anything designed as portable that leaves you looking like a ****. Bad looking domestic 'phones like the Jecklin, some of the Senns, or Ergo are rarely seen by others (you get time to hide them before answering the door),
41jgPRfnMgL._SS500_.jpg

The most gloriously attractive silver and red Skullcandy. You're not going to use something like this for that critical mix or late night listening session. You chose to wear this and to wear it outside where you can be seen. You probably also think you look pretty cool.

The Ergo incase you've not seen it:
ergo1thumb.jpg

I can't believe hasn't been mentioned. it's like the Jecklin, but they didn't learn from the mistake

May 5, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #97 of 279
What mistake?

I find the XBs and those Psycho Audio things to be pretty strange looking, and I think Jecklins look nice.

May 5, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #98 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cheesephones.

OH NO YOU DI'INT

May 5, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #99 of 279
The better question would be, what headphones AREN'T ugly? To be honest, if I see someone wearing audiophile headphones in public my first reaction would be "wow, shameless loser." There's a reason why IEM's were invented, and the large majority of our population now use them in public rather than full sized.

May 5, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #100 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The better question would be, what headphones AREN'T ugly? To be honest, if I see someone wearing audiophile headphones in public my first reaction would be "wow, shameless loser." There's a reason why IEM's were invented, and the large majority of our population now use them in public rather than full sized.

Or, "Wow, I wonder what those are?", depending on how much of a shameless loser you are.

I use my bulky, very functional-looking HD280 Pros to brand myself as a shameless geek...if someone's put off by that, God help them if they actually talk to me.

May 5, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #101 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, I'm fairly certain the majority of the population still has no knowledge of good SQ and use the bundled earbuds that came with their players until they break... then they buy the cheapest thing that looks similar
redface.gif

In general though, I highly doubt most people wearing "audiophile headphones" out in public really care what others think. If they really are high end headphones they probably are too busy enjoying themselves to notice how they look.

Personally I think Grados and other older headphones have a decent amount of... charm to them. That pair of headphones with the bullets strapped to them wins my vote. I couldn't care less how they sounded, that just looks stupid (I could see myself wearing the pink fluffy ones on a cold day if they sounded great).

May 5, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #103 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And these aren't lookers either...
IMG_3745.JPG

Man! I saw one of those on ebay a couple of months ago. I was wondering what the hell they were! pretty wild! I could imagine it looks like pacman eating your head when you wear these.

May 5, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #104 of 279
May 5, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #105 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I'm fairly certain the majority of the population still has no knowledge of good SQ and use the bundled earbuds that came with their players until they break... then they buy the cheapest thing that looks similar
redface.gif

In general though, I highly doubt most people wearing "audiophile headphones" out in public really care what others think. If they really are high end headphones they probably are too busy enjoying themselves to notice how they look.

Personally I think Grados and other older headphones have a decent amount of... charm to them. That pair of headphones with the bullets strapped to them wins my vote. I couldn't care less how they sounded, that just looks stupid (I could see myself wearing the pink fluffy ones on a cold day if they sounded great).

Grados are an acquired taste aesthetically. They're definitely a man's headphones, they look rough and unpolished, but that's their charm.

I think most people don't care that much about sound quality. For you to care about sound quality, you need to first care enough about music. Most people don't really go beyond skin deep when it comes to the nuances of music.

You have to admit though, there's definitely a fashion trend to smaller headphones these days. I remember in the late 90s, most people used full-sized. Then it progressed to behind the head, then clip-ons, and now finally with the ipod headphones, earbuds have become really popular. The pattern though is the same; the less you see, the better.

Also, the "shameless loser" is more directed towards the people under 25. If I saw a 50 year old with some stax in public, the reaction would be more like "damn he must be a rich mofo".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back