The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Dec 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #211 of 750
I think that you may want to audition the Paradox before offering this opinion. It's one of the most beautifully neutral hp's that I've had the pleasure to audition. Just saying...

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #213 of 750
Ouch, I would never make that generalization. I've heard terribly colored planars as well as supremely dull dynamics. 

My point was not only that the Paradox are "colorless", since they are not to absolute extent. They live with the recording, this is true. At least they do it better than many, if not all headphones I've tried. 

The thing I enjoy about the Paradox, is how effortless they are playing music. I can jam and fixate to many melodies by many instruments, since I can hear how musicians interact much better. In the midst of a low synth, electric bass and a bass drum I could hear a tuba on a familiar recording. The tempo was pretty fast as well. The tuba not only had bite, but a melodic structure as well. I'd love to hear a grado that could do this. (Have to go find this recording, can't remember what it was!) 

With this effortlessness come other positive qualities: timing! On a good recording, or even relatively bad, I can hear faults in a drummer's timing. Those little "decisions" in phrasing (upfront vs. laid back notes, for instance) a drummer makes or other qualities that give each known drummer their distinct style become even more apparent. Mid-range articulation is top notch as well: listening to a lot of brass-oriented big band music this becomes apparent as well. 

Everything's smooth and fast. So smooth in treble areas, that ****ty recordings don't sound like crap. Everything is listenable. Artifacts or faults are distinct and even obvious, but not in your face kind of way. Every record also seems to sound very different from another, probably due to their "transparent" nature, highlighting decisions made in the recording studio... or a master engineer. :wink:

Probably my only fault with these is that sometimes it seems the bass isn't the most tuneful, sometimes it's better than anything. This is not due to changes in volume across the frequency band: notes have the same volume, but are or aren't distinct. 
Example: George Duke - Reach for it. That synth solo has never been such a pleasure to listen. Even my K702's couldn't match that musical precision. 
Too lazy to find a counter example, but the K702 did better on some other recordings, where the Paradox might have muffled some notes together where distinct pitches weren't clear.. This might be due to a slight downward slope in bass helping the AKG's case or something else.. I'm open to suggestions. 

Anyway, going back to my original positive points, I'd like to make a statement. I dare to say that as far as subjectivity and a preference to sound itself goes, I can't argue. But when it comes down to pure performance, I'd indeed love to hear a Grado distinguish all these fine musical details I'm hearing through the Paradox. With very simple music with an easy going melody, say, a guitar accompanied with vocals, I'd be hard pressed to hear a difference between any headphones, except in color and "sound". I wouldn't even bother. Try something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syhqg5UOSs0
or similar and say a Grado passes with flying colors. The aforementioned criteria is either met or a headphone fails in producing them. I think that's pretty objective. Doesn't matter whether one has different priorities either: One can enjoy less articulate headphones as well. Just saying they're actually "better" only because someone likes the particular color better is a bit silly. In this instance, it's more fair to say that one enjoys the crappier headphone more on a subjective level, to be blunt, heh. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #214 of 750
they are effortless you're right. That's what I meant by stable, motionless. The sound just comes from such a solid place. It's not a criticism, just an observation....that jaco link is a good example though of the difference, in bass at least. A good dynamic driver gives me a little more of jaco's personal bass tone (old alder fender jazz bass - which I also owned at one point so I know how it sounds) and the planars ive heard would not quite give me those details, although it would do just about every other aspect of reproducing low end better....I also see your point about colored planars and lifeless dynamics. I guess I was referring to good examples of each technology.,,,,, There can be no denying that planars are a little 'better' for electronic based music though or won't you even 'go there' and make that statement....

we'll have to agree to disagree on the Timing though. I don't feel planars get that as right compared to dynamic. Again, a broad blanket statement I know but just my general experience. The dynamics tend to breathe a little more naturally whereas planars seem a touch more regimented in timing. Very subtle differences though

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #215 of 750
Which planars have you heard?

Also as for detail the only dynamic I've heard that has more detail than my HE6 is the HD800.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #217 of 750
way back, my pop had an old fostex which I recall hearing 30 years ago, but the impression remains. With the current resurgance, I've heard the yamaha yh, fostex50, hifiman500/....they all had this colorless quality to me, maybe color is not the right word. Maybe they are just colored in a different way thatn dynamics. If you all feel they are just as colored as dynamics or only accurately colored, then I concede it must be true. Seems you folks are suggesting there's no generally identifiable differences in sound or presentation between the two technologies? which is incomprehensible to me as they are vastly different ways to generate sound waves. But this thread is not to discuss the two technologies I guess, it's more about the specific model/mod so......

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #218 of 750
Quote:
way back, my pop had an old fostex which I recall hearing 30 years ago, but the impression remains. With the current resurgance, I've heard the yamaha yh, fostex50, hifiman500/....they all had this colorless quality to me, maybe color is not the right word. Maybe they are just colored in a different way thatn dynamics. If you all feel they are just as colored as dynamics or only accurately colored, then I concede it must be true. Seems you folks are suggesting there's no generally identifiable differences in sound or presentation between the two technologies? which is incomprehensible to me as they are vastly different ways to generate sound waves. But this thread is not to discuss the two technologies I guess, it's more about the specific model/mod so......

I don't know what you mean by accurately colored?  To me, colored is anything other than a flat FR mid bass hump, dips, lower treble bumps, dips.  These give some kind of color.  IMO..

The Paradox is pretty flat across the board therefor they have a lack of color.  IMO

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #221 of 750
I think it meant that if there's color in the recording the t50rp will show it and if there's not it won't. In that sense it's transparent? That's fine, but i've never heard a sound in real life or in a recording that isn't colored in some way. Sound is color. How could you hear it if it were transparent> are these ghost sounds?

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #222 of 750
Lately I been listening to two of my newly acquired phones, DT48 25ohm and a PMB 25 II.  Both top German phones from their time.  The DT48 have very good mids and highs while the PMB has good bass and mids.  With my Paradox I have both their strength and non of their weakness.  Its also much much natural sounding than them.  Definitely no sound signature like the Germans.   Like others have said it just transparent and it spit out the sound as raw as possible. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #223 of 750
Quote:

Oh I don't disagree that the planars I've heard have certain qualities that are not present in dynamics. I do think color is the wrong word however. However it is also hard to generalize all planars as one type and all dynamics as another. I think everyone who has heard various planars that are in production (HE500,HE6, LCD2, LCD3, etc) can agree to that.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #224 of 750
but if someone forced you at gunpoint to express what those differences are in terms of classes, what would you say? Meaning, as a group, there must be at least one or two things that ALL planars have that ALL dynamics don't and vice versa. This must be true, since the two technologies are vastly different. Remember, you are at gunpoint, you must come up with something as a response or else! what would those differences be as subtle as they may be....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back