The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Dec 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #196 of 750
Just compared my Paradox and Mad Dogs with Dog pads...

In short, I don't find that the Mad Dogs have the magic of the Paradox. The Paradox is neutral done right. The Mad Dogs are too bright and have too little bass. Reference is my PSI Audio A17M's. I've grown to really appreciate neutrality and the Mad Dogs miss the mark. They also don't have the SQ of the Paradox IMO. I did want to like them, oh well...

BTW, I find that the Paradox to be the best sounding portable as well... It's a little big for that application, but whatever...

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #197 of 750
I sold my Paradox.  Just not a fun or enjoyable headphone to listen to.  Everybody keeps talking about all this neutral stuff.  Neutral is not enjoyable to my ears.  The Mad Dogs are a much more fun / enjoyable headphone to listen to IMO.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #198 of 750
I agree, the Paradox is not a "fun" headphnone. Unfortunately, so many headphones are hyped to attain that "Wow" factor that when we hear something neutral it can sound dull. However once you get used to a FR the way it's supposed to be, it's hard to go back to the hype, at least it is for me.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #199 of 750
Not for me.  I prefer to enjoy my music when I'm listening to it.  For me that explains why I like the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 and the ATH-W3000ANV so much.  They add that house color that makes them really enjoyable to listen to.  Guess what.  They're not neutral at all.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #200 of 750
I appreciate the W3000ANV immensely...It is what it is.  It's my "go to" for female vocals.

Actually my favorite headphones are not neutral. My Open D7K's, TH900's, W3000ANV's are what I use. I even rank the Fidelio X1 above the Paradox. I just find the MD that I have sounds artificial compared to all others that I mentioned.

There will never be a single headphone that can do everything a good speaker can do. That's why I have as many heaphones as I have. Each one has it merits and faults... 

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #202 of 750
[quote name="lmswjm" url="/t/633956/the-t50rp-paradox-review s, TH900's, W3000ANV's are what I use. I even rank the Fidelio X1 above the Paradox. I just find the MD that I have sounds artificial compared to all others that I mentioned.

There will never be a single headphone that can do everything a good speaker can do. That's why I have as many heaphones as I have. Each one has it merits and faults... 
[/quote]

That is so true. Having a pair of Monitor Audio RX-6 speakers and an SVS "water heater" sub for my 2.1 music listening, the headphones have some awfully big shoes to fill.

Then again, Preproman, has a philosophy similar to mine, as I do like some color in what I'm listening too. Achieving that perfectly flat ruler line on a graph chart is a desire for many and does impress, but I don't mind the slopes and the jagged lines either. :wink:

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #204 of 750
I listen to music, not colors. I can hear music on the Paradox very well. This makes them quite fun! 

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #205 of 750
interesting comment electropop. This is how I hear planar technology. As being colorless. The question of whether music has/should have color is an interesting topic. I personally like and need color, but only certain kinds. That is the tricky part. Planars just dismiss this altogether as not a part of a desirable music experience, not out of some bias, but rather it seems inherent in it's technology. In a sense, one is allowing the technology to dictate/limit? what music should/can be. Which is fine if that lines up with what one enjoys or what kind of music one listens to. That's why i'd recommend planars to 'electropop' style of sound. It's perfect for it whereas a grado style is perfect for the opposite of electropop. The trick with grado dynamic drivers is to dial in color in modest proportion and placed in the most natural places for a balanced natural colorful sound. Nature afterall is not black and white, but neither is it neon flourescent.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #206 of 750
not to hijack the thread. And bear in mind I feel planar is a great sound too. But I was thinking, that in addition to the color-less comparison between planar/dynamic driver, I would also add that planars seem 'motionless' or still in their presentation. Which may be connected to why it's colorless, but regardless, the planar presentation is so solid and stable compared to the dynamic driver which has a less stable footing to my ears. I personally like the feeling of the music tetering on the edge and so again, I tend to like dynamic sound a little better for the more traditional music I prefer, . I'd guess alot of folks like the planars for this stable and solid presentation though and it is cool in it's own right. but I just thought i'd share these two ideas regarding the planars........sorry for the interuption

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #207 of 750
I went from using exclusively open backed dynamic headphones to using closed back planar headphones.. Both have their pros and cons :) I've heard very good headphones from both categories. Wish I could afford to try out some planar speakers :D

Do you have any experience with those midrange?

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #208 of 750
I've heard magnaplaner floor speakers. They are awesome driven by an old mcintosh amp. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't had the experience to head down to a used stereo store and have them setup a set to listen to. If you don't really intend to buy or have the funds, just dress up a little nicer than usual as I did, and play like you are really in the market for a set of magnaplanars. Whatever it takes to hear them is justified, it should be a basic human right to hear planar sound 'in the air'. It's so cool.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #210 of 750
the technology in general, the fostex included of which i've heard. I don't feel I have to have heard the paradox mod to know that it doesn't address this feature of planar because unless it's the specific goal of the modder, there's no way it would be achieved, if it's possible at all - which I would estimate it's not. It's hard to steer a technology in a direction opposite it's nature is my experience....but if there's a firm and guiding principle behind the modding, it can be nudged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back