The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #301 of 750
Thanks for the impressions, temporaryname.. Girlfriend approved, too?! 
basshead.gif
  That's more impressive than even the cleanest CSD plots.  LOL.  I'll add your impressions to the index/second post.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #303 of 750
Quote:
First off, I'd like to tip my hat off to FlySweep for giving me the opportunity to audition these headphones! He seems a real stand-up guy.

I had a general question for folks who own/have used the Paradox. Is there a trick to keeping the pads nice and fluffy? I notice that they tend to rest in a position which scrunches up the bottom of the pads when they hang on my stand. This does make a rather significant impact on the sound. When I first put them on, the bass was quite anemic until the pads fluffed up and contoured to my head.

My first impressions weren't so positive, most likely because of the pad issue. But, I am warming up to these more and more as time goes on. Now, I've only listened to them for one night so far, but I am enjoying these right now. Not sure if I like them enough to buy one yet, I'll have to spend some more time with them to decide. Also, I might get some flak for this comment but here goes: It's been a long time since I owned the LCD-2, but from what I remember, I believe I prefer these Paradox headphones over the LCD-2. I wasn't particularly fond of the LCD-2, but I am enjoying these. Keep in mind I haven't heard the LCD-2 for over a year now, so take that with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, I really am amazed at how good someone can make a simple T50RP sound. 'nuff said for now.

The pad issue is very real. I disliked them at first for a similar reason. I made up a little spacer out of some card stock.. it must have gotten lost. You just need to put something in between the cups to keep the pads from crushing each-other.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #304 of 750
I have a cheap solution for those wishing to keep the pads from smooshing together...

I'll post a pic soon.  :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #305 of 750
Ah, I did see some cards that were put together inside the package. I couldn't figure out what they were because they were on the bottom of the package. Makes sense now. So just stick these sideways between the drivers, not contacting the plush surface of the pads, correct?

I'd like to confirm with LFF that this won't damage the drivers in any way by putting pressure on the front face? I don't know what kind of support system there is in front of the drivers, but I'm assuming there is some type of plastic reinforcement so the card stock won't damage the drivers.

Regardless, I would also love to hear a solution from the designer of the headphones!

By the way, my LCD-2s used to be a revision 1, if that makes any relevant difference for my previous post.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #306 of 750
Originally Posted by pbandstefanwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, I did see some cards that were put together inside the package. I couldn't figure out what they were because they were on the bottom of the package. Makes sense now. So just stick these sideways between the drivers, not contacting the plush surface of the pads, correct?

Correct.. 

I'd like to confirm with LFF that this won't damage the drivers in any way by putting pressure on the front face?

It shouldn't.. there's a layer of fairly stiff felt that's stuck on the cup's ear side baffle that protects the driver.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #307 of 750
Quote:

I'd like to confirm with LFF that this won't damage the drivers in any way by putting pressure on the front face? I don't know what kind of support system there is in front of the drivers, but I'm assuming there is some type of plastic reinforcement so the card stock won't damage the drivers.

Regardless, I would also love to hear a solution from the designer of the headphones!

By the way, my LCD-2s used to be a revision 1, if that makes any relevant difference for my previous post.

there should be plenty of support on the fronts of the drivers. Also, you could maybe take the suspension headband off when they weren't on your head, that might help.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #308 of 750
I'm interested in either these or the Mad Dogs...I don't know which is better for me, but I do prefer neutral cans. I guess I'll keep reading and see if I can get my hands on a pair eventually - thanks for the impressions and oh how I wish I got in on the tour.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #309 of 750
Originally Posted by doublea71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm interested in either these or the Mad Dogs...I don't know which is better for me, but I do prefer neutral cans. I guess I'll keep reading and see if I can get my hands on a pair eventually - thanks for the impressions and oh how I wish I got in on the tour.

I haven't heard the Mad Dog but if you're looking for neutrality, the Paradox would almost certainly be the better choice.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #310 of 750
Here ya go: The blue is the new Alpha Pads for the Mad Dog. And Red/Orange is the LCD-2.

I think you should definitely listen to both before buying, they're more similar than not. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #311 of 750
Quote:
Here ya go: The blue is the new Alpha Pads for the Mad Dog. And Red/Orange is the LCD-2.

I think you should definitely listen to both before buying, they're more similar than not. 

I'm not all that good at interpreting graphs, but it looks pretty damned flat up until 5k 1k. The rest of it doesn't have extreme or troublesome looking fluctuations, so those might be my target.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #312 of 750
Quote:
I'm not all that good at interpreting graphs, but it looks pretty damned flat up until 5k 1k. The rest of it doesn't have extreme or troublesome looking fluctuations, so those might be my target.

Indeed. Per Dan's assessment: "the Alpha pads (Blue) have a little more bass output (thought there is still a small dip from 50-90Hz relative to the rest of the Alpha Pads' bass.  But the Alpha pad has a smoother response and transition from the mids to the highs.  The LCD2 has more energy above 14K."  

I can't remember if Luis likes the Innerfidelity measurements, so I didn't post 'em.
Perhaps someone else has Paradox measurements for comparison sake.

Personally, I prefer the MD to the LCD-2 in all areas save for bass. I think that's pretty high praise.

Both are fairly neutral cans, the MD has a more fun sound, the Paradox is more
of a reference type can. Overall The MD is the more involving phone, personally.

But a lot could do with what your musical preferences are.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #313 of 750
I already mentioned this in a different thread, but I think this discussion is more appropriate. I've had a pair of Paradox headphones for almost a year now. The only other high end phones I've experienced are the Stax Lambda Signatures, driven by their tubed headphone amp. I sold those to a good friend who is enjoying them immensely. They didn't work so well for me with the type of music I listen to. I don't consider myself a true 'head-fier' with my limited experience with the better headphones which are available. But I have been into audio as a hobby since the mid '70s, and have listened to or owned more pieces of equipment than I care to mention. It includes tube amps (SE as well as PP), smaller monitor speaker (like LS3/5As) and panels (such as Maggies and Quad ESL 63s) just to name a few items.

After reading some threads about using the speaker outputs of a power amp for headphones such as the Paradox, I was tempted to try this out and did so a couple weeks ago. The amp I use (Musical Fidelity A1, the more current class a amp rated at 35 watts/channel) happens to have its negative (ground) speaker outputs shared, which is a must since my headphones are not balanced. I rigged up a cable to tied me over until I get a professionally made one. I kept the volume very low initially, not knowing quite what to expect. All I can say is the Paradox, when suitably driven like this, sound more like speakers sitting on your head then what my experience of headphones has been. It's pretty overwhelming, actually. I have to be careful with volume level, though, as you can really crank it up and it sounds so good, one is tempted......but then it really is too much of a good thing. I am using music files ripped in lossless format, from a hard drive plugged into an Oppo BDP 105 Blu Ray player as my front end. Maybe the A1 amp is a good match for the impedance of the Paradox, I don't know. I suppose that would be a consideration too. The amp I have previous experience with is the Objective, with built in Odac. Pretty good in its own right, but a different ballpark from the speaker out puts of my amp (in combination with the Oppo). 

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #314 of 750

could someone clarify where that graph came from on the last page? these measures from lff pair suggests the sound is more similar to the stock 50? or have this set of mods been perfected since that time? The 300hz would suggest these may not have a whole lot of 'snap' but otherwise look pretty good. ALthough the FR graph on the last page looks stellar..... And SMG's last post, got me wondering. does anyone know how tyll drives his phones while testing them? Does he use the same amp? and if so, wouldn't that be a significant factor? or is the headphone measuring procedure setup so as to not require the intermediate 'amp'.

answered my own quesion, he uses a headroom amp of some kind, no details...seems like a big point to not have details on?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurment-proceedures-introduction-and-equipment

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #315 of 750
The measurements I posted on the last page come from Mrspeakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back