The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #331 of 750
This may be a silly question, but has anyone tried experimenting with their Paradox by putting some of the new Mad Dog alpha pads on them? If not, would anyone be willing to try? 
tongue.gif
 I was just really impressed with the new mad dogs when I listened to them, particularly with regards to their soundstage. I think I'd still prefer the sound signature of the paradox overall though, hence why I'm asking about trying the alpha pads on them...

And with regard to my last post here -- I finally got to try out those LCD-3's I was craving in person, and they sounded... good... can't say they 'wow'-ed me though. Pretty clean, natural presentation, nicer treble than the LCD-2's, but lighter/more 'delicate' bass than the LCD-2's as well. Overall, I'd have to agree that I prefer the HD800's over them too. I actually found that I even preferred the HE-6's over them to some degree. But yeah, it's really nice not to have an itch for such an expensive item anymore 
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #332 of 750
Quote:
This may be a silly question, but has anyone tried experimenting with their Paradox by putting some of the new Mad Dog alpha pads on them? If not, would anyone be willing to try? 
tongue.gif
 I was just really impressed with the new mad dogs when I listened to them, particularly with regards to their soundstage. I think I'd still prefer the sound signature of the paradox overall though, hence why I'm asking about trying the alpha pads on them...

The thing is, Luis tuned the sound of the Paradox with the HM5 pads. I'm not sure swapping the pads out would make for any sort of improvements. It looks like at the Austin meet we'll have the Paradox, the Alpha Dogs, and the Mad Dogs in one place though. :) Been looking forward to doing a side-by-side comparison.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #333 of 750
Quote:
The thing is, Luis tuned the sound of the Paradox with the HM5 pads. I'm not sure swapping the pads out would make for any sort of improvements. It looks like at the Austin meet we'll have the Paradox, the Alpha Dogs, and the Mad Dogs in one place though. :) Been looking forward to doing a side-by-side comparison.

Oh, I'm aware of the elaborate tuning process that's involved with these, I was merely curious for experimentation's sake -- partially cause of the soundstage that it gave the mad dogs, and partially cause they're just so damn comfortable, lol.

Definitely come back with some detailed impressions if you get a chance to compare them! I know there was supposed to be a pair of paradox at the last meet I went to, but then they never showed up so I didn't get a chance to compare them myself 
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #334 of 750
Hows this for strange. I was testing sine waves through my Paradox and the right driver can't do 5.62kHz. It also cuts out from 8.22kHz to 9.08kHz but comes back in at 9.19kHz. At 9.30kHz my left driver cuts out.

Thankfully it was just the software being strange. I retested with other headphones and got the same effect, albeit randomized through different frequencies with each different headphone.

I got an impression that some of the treble is grainy on the Paradox. I heard the graininess when practicing high note passages on my silent Yamaha piano (Chopin's 1st Ballade to be exact). It's probably the piano itself but I'll test this with other headphones to be sure. Has anyone had any experience with grainy treble with their Paradox?

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #335 of 750
Quote:
Hows this for strange. I was testing sine waves through my Paradox and the right driver can't do 5.62kHz. It also cuts out from 8.22kHz to 9.08kHz but comes back in at 9.19kHz. At 9.30kHz my left driver cuts out.

Thankfully it was just the software being strange. I retested with other headphones and got the same effect, albeit randomized through different frequencies with each different headphone.

I got an impression that some of the treble is grainy on the Paradox. I heard the graininess when practicing high note passages on my silent Yamaha piano (Chopin's 1st Ballade to be exact). It's probably the piano itself but I'll test this with other headphones to be sure. Has anyone had any experience with grainy treble with their Paradox?

I have received A LOT of complaints about graininess. One notable complaint I get OVER AND OVER again is from "Don't Know Why" from the Norah Jones album "Come Away With Me". 

The answer is complicated and simple at the same time. The reason it sounds grainy on some stuff is because it is actually present on the recording itself. I can verify them on my mastering set-up and have plenty of times. The follow up is usually the following...

Q: "But LFF, I heard this same recording on X headphones and couldn't hear it. I even played it on Y and Z and couldn't hear it either!? Z is a $2000 headphone and Y is electromajig $10,000 set up! What gives? It's definitely the Paradox!"

A: Correct! If you or I could hear it on X, Y or Z headphones, the Paradox would NOT exist. The Paradox is brutal when it comes to revealing flaws if you have it on a revealing, neutral chain. That's why I use it to restore music. That's why I use it to master. I have HUNDREDS on examples of tiny little noises that bug the F out of me that I couldn't hear before on most headphones but that really stand out with the Paradox. These aren't bad recordings and in fact, most are audiophile demo recordings. This is a major reason why I tell my customers that the Paradox isn't for everyone. It's not meant to make your music sound nice. It's meant to be a reference and show you EXACTLY what is on the recording - warts and all.

Also...those Yamaha piano samples aren't all that great...as you heard yourself.
wink_face.gif
I usually use run a low-pass filter when those are involved.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #336 of 750
I have received A LOT of complaints about graininess. One notable complaint I get OVER AND OVER again is from "Don't Know Why" from the Norah Jones album "Come Away With Me". 

The answer is complicated and simple at the same time. The reason it sounds grainy on some stuff is because it is actually present on the recording itself. I can verify them on my mastering set-up and have plenty of times. The follow up is usually the following...

Q: "But LFF, I heard this same recording on X headphones and couldn't hear it. I even played it on Y and Z and couldn't hear it either!? Z is a $2000 headphone and Y is electromajig $10,000 set up! What gives? It's definitely the Paradox!"

A: Correct! If you or I could hear it on X, Y or Z headphones, the Paradox would NOT exist. The Paradox is brutal when it comes to revealing flaws if you have it on a revealing, neutral chain. That's why I use it to restore music. That's why I use it to master. I have HUNDREDS on examples of tiny little noises that bug the F out of me that I couldn't hear before on most headphones but that really stand out with the Paradox. These aren't bad recordings and in fact, most are audiophile demo recordings. This is a major reason why I tell my customers that the Paradox isn't for everyone. It's not meant to make your music sound nice. It's meant to be a reference and show you EXACTLY what is on the recording - warts and all.

Also...those Yamaha piano samples aren't all that great...as you heard yourself. :wink_face: I usually use run a low-pass filter when those are involved.

I can't remember the exact year, but this piano is from the early 90's. It's an upright acoustic with an option to put an electric board between the hammer and the strings to synthesize notes and listen to them through headphones or midi out instead of a mute pedal. I would be surprised if its samples were hi-fi.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #338 of 750
Quote:
So.. this is pretty cool.. Tyll's got a Reddit Q&A going.. about halfway down the thread:

Nice job, Luis!  Don't go all "corporate" on us when you blow up 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks!

I do enjoy seeing someone sit down at my station and smiling when they listen to some music. I love it when they tell me "I've never heard that before!".

That's why I do what I do.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #340 of 750
Quote:
Headfonia has done a solid review of the Paradox.. with some snazzy photos, too.

The last 2 lines has me really interested:

"And secondly, maybe LFF indeed does have something planned using a larger driver.
icon_wink.gif
That’s all I can say at the moment…"

LFF, please elaborate on this!! I was just thinking about how the natural limitations of the T50RP driver prevent the Paradox from being truly incredible. It already sounds better than most headphones I've heard thanks to its tuning, but the T50RP will always have wooly bass to a degree...

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #342 of 750
The last 2 lines has me really interested:

"And secondly, maybe LFF indeed does have something planned using a larger driver.
icon_wink.gif
That’s all I can say at the moment…"

LFF, please elaborate on this!! I was just thinking about how the natural limitations of the T50RP driver prevent the Paradox from being truly incredible. It already sounds better than most headphones I've heard thanks to its tuning, but the T50RP will always have wooly bass to a degree...

Of course this news had to come out the week after I finally decided to place an order for these... sigh.

Even if they come out to be more expensive and are still a few months away or so, If he's still aiming for the same goal of neutrality, I would've gladly waited a while longer... Oh well.

Anyways, considering LFF's Colonel Sanders approach to headphone modding, I doubt we're gonna get much more info on them until they're released :p

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #343 of 750
Quote:
Of course this news had to come out the week after I finally decided to place an order for these... sigh.

Even if they come out to be more expensive and are still a few months away or so, If he's still aiming for the same goal of neutrality, I would've gladly waited a while longer... Oh well.

Anyways, considering LFF's Colonel Sanders approach to headphone modding, I doubt we're gonna get much more info on them until they're released
tongue.gif

Hey Luis, a few hints can lead to some very beneficial Paradox-awareness-raising hype. *nudge nudge*

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #344 of 750
Quote:

Hey Luis, a few hints can lead to some very beneficial Paradox-awareness-raising hype. *nudge nudge*

Paradox are remaining as is...
blink.gif

No beta, zeta, pi versions....Paradox no. 1 is the same as the current one I am working on at the moment...over a year later.

I am working on completely different and NEW headphones that are COMPLIMENTARY to the Paradox. There are only three in existence at the moment. I have one proto-type, another head-fi member has one proto-type and the third one (first official one... (Secret Name) No. 1) is being modded to be sent to the guy who bought it and ordered it. Bigger driver with certain mods to make the soundsignature I like, Mini-XLR connectors, custom hand made housing...neutral sound with an open, airy sound signature that's ever so slightly on the bright side of things....That's all I'm saying at the moment....

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #345 of 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am working on completely different and NEW headphones that are COMPLIMENTARY to the Paradox. There are only three in existence at the moment. I have one proto-type, another head-fi member has one proto-type and the third one (first official one... (Secret Name) No. 1) is being modded to be sent to the guy who bought it and ordered it. Bigger driver with certain mods to make the soundsignature I like, Mini-XLR connectors, custom hand made housing...neutral sound with an open, airy sound signature that's ever so slightly on the bright side of things....That's all I'm saying at the moment....

Hm, so something like a Paradox+HE-6+HD800 lovechild of sorts, maybe? Interesting...

P.S.: Totally unrelated, but while you're here -- what DAC would you recommend for under ~$800?  I've been looking into the resonessence concero or teac ud 501 recently, but I'm not sure about their neutrality/detail-retrieval; and I noticed you stick with a modest emu 0404 in your profile, so I was just curious, cause the I know the rme babyface is also a similarly good deal along those lines, but unsure as to where to go for a good dac in that price range...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back