The strangest or most painful voice in rock/pop!
Jul 5, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #61 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DrBenway, did you ever go to a Burroughs reading, btw?

No, unfortunately. Closest I got was a reading by Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky when they came to Penn. I was an undergrad there at the time.

Quote:

You are a man I could have an enjoyable Lost Weekend with!

Be afraid! Be VERY afraid! <g>

Quote:

She is seriously underrated, and the blind venom she attracts is simply plain unfair.

I think she will get her due recognition, but not necessarily in her lifetime. It's part of the price that artists pay for going against the grain.

Quote:

I knew it, it is those damn Beatles!
wink.gif

Yeah, as I said before, some Beatles fans are absolutely crazy. Cynthia Lennon, John's first wife, was once attacked by a mob of teenaged girls who beat her with their shoes.

That said, I think it's a measure of John and Yoko's naivete and idealism that they thought his fans would simply accept his collaboration with someone who was a) not a Beatle, and b) so completely different from his previous collaborators. Big-time trouble was inevitable, and they probably should have seen that coming.

Artists have been crapped on for far less. Rick Nelson's "Garden Party" is a bitter recollection of his appearance at an oldies show at Madison Square Garden in the 70s. Instead of doing his 50s-era hits, recorded when he was literally a kid, he came out and did the mature, country-rock material that he was doing as an adult. Much of this was great music, but people freaked! They couldn't accept that he wasn't Ozzie and Harriot's little boy Ricky anymore.

And then there was an outpouring of grief when he was killed a few years later.

Whatta ya gonna do?

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #63 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ian Curtis of the Joy Division.

ah, another one whose voice is strange and full of pain, yet not painful at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #64 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, another one whose voice is strange and full of pain, yet not painful at all
smily_headphones1.gif

"Love Will Tear Us Apart" sends chills down my spine. This guy couldn't really even carry a tune, but he somehow found a way to communicate that was deeply personal and unique.

I bashed Michael Boltin earlier, and I stand by that, despite the fact that it would be foolish to say that Ian Curtis sang as well technically. It really depends on the individual, and what he does with what he has.

I love Smokey Robinson, and I love Lou Reed, and I don't see a contradiction there.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #65 of 88
Quote:

She (Yoko Ono) is seriously underrated, and the blind venom she attracts is simply plain unfair.

Really? She's underrated by whom, precisely? Could it be that you think she is underrated by people who don't care for avant garde music? I don't expect people who have listening preferences that lie squarely in the mainstream of music to find avant garde music appealing. For much the same reason I also don't expect people who appreciate the photography of Ansel Adams to flock to the work of Robert Mapplethorpe.

I love avant garde music but I have no delusions that general audiences will, or should, find it appealing or even see value in it. A week ago I played "Like a Cloud Hanging in the Sky?" by AMM, from The Crypt, for a friend. He described it as 45 minutes of "nails on a chalkboard." I wasn't surprised, because that was my initial reaction to it as well, though over time I have come to love the recording. I'm guessing that AMM doesn't enjoy a particularly large following of my music loving friends. I suppose I could declare AMM the most underrated rock trio in music...but that would be something like describing Yoko Ono as a seriously underrated vocalist. People are going to judge music and performers by their own standards.

Judging the listening preferences and tastes of other music fans is, in my view, a fool's errand.

--Jerome

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #66 of 88
The chick in Arcade Fire. You're not a singer. You're yelling. Just because you're a girl doesn't mean...ah forget it.

Adam Levine of Maroon 5. There's a reason it sounds artificial and lifeless. When you have a machine correct every note you can't hit, it tends to be obvious.

Bjork. And I don't say that to mean she sucks or anything. Completely different from the other two. I haven't gotten around to forgiving hers yet, and I've forgiven much worse.

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #70 of 88
The strangest and my absolute favorite....

Tom-Waits-y-el-piano-borrac.jpg

Tom Waits

Strange that I don't like? Kate Bush drives me nuts...

Jul 6, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #71 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? She's underrated by whom, precisely? Could it be that you think she is underrated by people who don't care for avant garde music? I don't expect people who have listening preferences that lie squarely in the mainstream of music to find avant garde music appealing. For much the same reason I also don't expect people who appreciate the photography of Ansel Adams to flock to the work of Robert Mapplethorpe.

I love avant garde music but I have no delusions that general audiences will, or should, find it appealing or even see value in it. A week ago I played "Like a Cloud Hanging in the Sky?" by AMM, from The Crypt, for a friend. He described it as 45 minutes of "nails on a chalkboard." I wasn't surprised, because that was my initial reaction to it as well, though over time I have come to love the recording. I'm guessing that AMM doesn't enjoy a particularly large following of my music loving friends. I suppose I could declare AMM the most underrated rock trio in music...but that would be something like describing Yoko Ono as a seriously underrated vocalist. People are going to judge music and performers by their own standards.

Judging the listening preferences and tastes of other music fans is, in my view, a fool's errand.

--Jerome

Hmmm....OK, real quick response (work spits in my Head Fi glass, again)
I think your points would be better put to those whose reaction to avant garde music is to describe the performers in personal terms that suggest at best, bitter animosity, at worst, hate.

Yoko Ono is unusual ( in my limited experience of the avant garde) in that a sizeable proportion of her music uses a mainstream rock/pop sensibility and form - but I suspect the majority of anti/derogatory comments are not based on her interpretation of that canon, but rather a personal bias or extreme antipathy.

Is it correct to say she's underrated? After all, you can't underrate what you haven't heard/listened to. Or can you? I suggest it happens all the time. The difference with Yoko is the reaction....

I do believe her work is underestimated within the pop canon, possibly for the wrong reasons. And no, I don't particularly agree that I should expect that only the cognoscenti are qualified to respond or hold a view. But, yes, I expect the judgement to be a little informed.

Adams/Mapplethorpe? I would have thought that 'those who appreciate' photography would be at least interested in both artists work, even if they preferred one style over another.
Mind, art history is probably littered with examples...

As for AMM, I'll have to hear em! Maybe you should spread the word: might stop the guessing. Tho it almost sounds that you like the fact that they are not more widely known/liked? Surely not!

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #73 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkluv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The strangest and my absolute favorite....

Tom-Waits-y-el-piano-borrac.jpg

Tom Waits

First thing I thought of when I read the thread title, can't believe it took 4 pages. It's strange, but awesome. I remember someone saying that it sounds like he just chewed shards of glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back