The strangest or most painful voice in rock/pop!
Jul 1, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 88
Joanna Newsom

gag*

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 88
axl rose. sounds like ethel mermans long lost person child

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Yoko Ono count for strange?

Oh yes, most definitely. There is a video on youtube of Chuck Berry, John Lennon and Yoko Ono doing Johnny B. Goode together and about halfway through Yoko opens her squakbox, it is absolutely hideous.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, most definitely. There is a video on youtube of Chuck Berry, John Lennon and Yoko Ono doing Johnny B. Goode together and about halfway through Yoko opens her squakbox, it is absolutely hideous.

x-INFINITY.... "hideous" is to kind.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*gasp* My favorite singer ever!

Not my favorite singer, but I like her work very, very much.

Singers who DO drive me up the wall:

Justin Timberlake. Sorry folks, he can't sing. There is a difference between carrying a tune (which he can do, just barely) and singing. It's mind-boggling that after his handlers apply every bit of electronic processing available to his vocals, he still sounds as bad as he does. Timbaland should have better taste in production clients; he certainly doesn't need the money.

Michael Boltin. I have heard howling dogs that sound better. Hearing him mutilate soul covers like "When A Man Loves a Woman" leaves me wondering whether I should cry or retch. Sounds like he needs a laxative.

Roger Hodgson (Supertramp). I would prefer the sound of a dentist's drill to his troll-on-helium vocals.

Geddy Lee (Rush). See my previous two choices.

Kate Bush. Another pretentious, whining mess.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #10 of 88
Don van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart

Strangest in a good way.

Jul 2, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey! I used to love Kate Bush's voice. She is one of those you either love or hate singers.

Exactly. I've gotten to the point where I don't really care what other people listen to, or like or dislike. Lots of people love Kate Bush or Michael Boltin; I don't. That's what makes the world go 'round, and it's what makes threads like this amusing and fun.

It's important not to take it all too seriously (now if I could just live up to my own advice...)

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don van Vliet aka Captain Beefheart

Strangest in a good way.

In the mid-80s I used to play Doc at the Radar Station whenever I wanted to clear my dorm room. I think he's wonderful, but you just can't sell this guy to someone who thinks Bongiovi or Foreigner is quality stuff.

Speaking of which, I hear ol' JonJon has given up his third-rate Springsteen imitation in order to become a third-rate pop country singer. Once a hack, always a hack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back