The strangest or most painful voice in rock/pop!
Jul 3, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #31 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrycro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
axl rose. sounds like ethel mermans long lost person child

Well put!
eek.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #32 of 88
Orlando Weeks has quite the odd voice. Listen to "Precious Time", or "Lego" here. Maccabees

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #33 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrycro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
axl rose. sounds like ethel mermans long lost person child

I get the Ethel Merman comparison, definately. But when he does that "Ayyy, Ay, Ay, AY" thing, as in "Sweet Child O' Mine" there is definately something else going on in addition to Merman. Maybe Ethel Merman cross-bred with a sheep? A billy goat?

Think of how great G n R would have been with a better singer...Slash is just awesome. He kept blues-rock lead guitar alive at a time when everybody else was spewing Eddie Van Halen wankery.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #34 of 88
Rock is not about the voice its about the attitude. Most of the important rock icons dont have good voices (Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Geddy Lee,etc.), but you cant deny their importance to rock n roll. Maybe thats why American Idol does so well. People want to hear beautiful voices lol.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 88
Yoko Ono owns this trophy permanently.

For second prize,

Geddy Lee is like nails on a chalk board to me.
Tom Petty and Springsteen aren't much better.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #38 of 88
The lead singer from Dream Theater. I've purposefully forgot his name since it conjurs memories of bad, bad singing.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #39 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, I hear ol' JonJon has given up his third-rate Springsteen imitation in order to become a third-rate pop country singer. Once a hack, always a hack.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I find nauseating the current trend of pop/rock artists who ran out of ideas moving on to country (see also Sheryl Crow, Jewel).

P.S. my vote goes for Jarboe and Maryanne Faithfull

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #40 of 88
My vote for strangest, but not painful voice goes to Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins. That's a voice you can never mistake for anybody else's.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #41 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock is not about the voice its about the attitude. Most of the important rock icons dont have good voices (Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Geddy Lee,etc.), but you cant deny their importance to rock n roll. Maybe thats why American Idol does so well. People want to hear beautiful voices lol.

As I said before, one man's meat is another man's poison. But you can't seriously be mentioning Geddy Lee in the same sentence with Dylan and Neil Young...? To my ears, he's a terrible singer in a howlingly pretentious, third-rate prog band. Well, prog until they smelled money in becoming third-rate Police imitators. And I'm not exactly fond of the Police to start with.

Most of my friends got over Rush after sophomore year. Farewell to Kings? SHEESH!!

I do agree with you that a conventionally excellent singing voice is not necessary in rock music.

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you mentioned this. I find nauseating the current trend of pop/rock artists who ran out of ideas moving on to country (see also Sheryl Crow, Jewel).

Well, ya gotta follow the money. There's a huge middle-of-the-road demographic that can't stand alternative, hip-hop, electronic, or metal; country-pop is what they listen to. The Nashville muzak assembly line exists to serve this vast demographic, and it just reeks of money. Bongiovi, et al are business people. If they could make more money selling soap, that's what they would do. So they follow the money.

The really sad part of it to me is that there is so much great country around, and the machine ignores it. They prefer the standardized, bland product that they can stamp out on the assembly line.

Which is why artists like Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton have had to find new venues for their music. Cash cozied up to Rick Rubin and his alt-cred, and Dolly went back to her roots in honky tonk and bluegrass, via the small label, Sugar Hill. Younger true-country artists have to content themselves with minimal record sales and relentless touring. I do have hope for the prospects of Hank III, though...

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #44 of 88
Liz Frazer? She's the one in Teardrop by Massive Attack right? I like her voice from that one song.

Haven't really followed her C. Twin stuff.

Jul 4, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #45 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joanna Newsom's voice makes me horny.....

She is a perfect illustration of the complete subjectivity of this thread. I like her music. I like it very much. Yet I just rhetorically stuck my tongue out at someone who likes Geddy Lee. Well, Newsom's voice drives some people out of the room, and Geddy Lee has the exact same effect on some other people (that would be me). I think as long as we remeber that, we'll all be fine.

Maybe I like Newsom so much because there is a lot more to her than an unusual voice. I mean, when was the last time you heard a full-sized classical harp used as the lead instrument of a band? And as much as I bash bloated prog artists, I can nevertheless sit entranced and listen to her songs go on and on...and on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back