The strangest or most painful voice in rock/pop!
Jul 7, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #76 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, most definitely. There is a video on youtube of Chuck Berry, John Lennon and Yoko Ono doing Johnny B. Goode together and about halfway through Yoko opens her squakbox, it is absolutely hideous.

She did the same thing when she and Lennon joined Frank Zappa for a set. She perhaps ruined what could have been the best musical duo (Zappa + Lennon) in rock history by opening her talentless mouth. The stare Zappa gives the woman is unforgettably humiliating and anger-ridden.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #77 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by AceOfWands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geddy Lee sings weird but fine ....
BESIDES ,who cares about the voice just listen to the man ripping the bass!

Just because I don't enjoy his singing doesn't mean that no one else is allowed to, it's all good man. Thats the cool part about music, all of it is totally subjective. I can't deal with the guys (Geddy) voice.

Plenty of people don't like Roger Waters within 30 feet of a mic; doesn't mean I don't like his singing.

Elton John's voice grates on alot of people, I enjoy plenty of his music and singing. I can also understand why others don't as much.

Maybe there is a Rush album I would enjoy, just haven't listened to enough of their stuff who knows, eventually I'll find out for sure.

Once upon a time I couldn't stand Steely Dan, turns out it was wretched songs like "Rickee don't lose that number" for example that I don't like. Gaucho, Aja, and The Royal Scam are fine albums in my opinion, their others albums I'm not into.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #78 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because I don't enjoy his singing doesn't mean that no one else is allowed to, it's all good man. Thats the cool part about music, all of it is totally subjective.

Exactly! This is all subjective, and deeply personal. If we all recognize that we don't all cherish/hate the same things (and that goes way beyond music. I think Chaka Khan is an incredibly beautiful woman. Other people make fun of her looks.) then we will all be better off.

And, just to reinforce the point...in an earlier post, I dissed Geddy big time. But I do recognize that he freaking ROCKS on the bass.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #79 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly! This is all subjective, and deeply personal. If we all recognize that we don't all cherish/hate the same things (and that goes way beyond music. I think Chaka Khan is an incredibly beautiful woman. Other people make fun of her looks.) then we will all be better off.

And, just to reinforce the point...in an earlier post, I dissed Geddy big time. But I do recognize that he freaking ROCKS on the bass.

Yup! (minus the part about Chaka
tongue.gif
) She can sing well though.

I've never paid any attention to Geddy's alleged bass playing skills so maybe thats something I overlooked. The only album I have by Rush is an MFSL Signals, gave it one listen and didn't get into it, seemed kind of cheesy to me. The kind of cheese I like is Monteray spicey jack, Chedder, Swiss, and Billy Joel, in that order.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #80 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup! (minus the part about Chaka
tongue.gif
) She can sing well though.

I've never paid any attention to Geddy's alleged bass playing skills so maybe thats something I overlooked. The only album I have by Rush is an MFSL Signals, gave it one listen and didn't get into it, seemed kind of cheesy to me. The kind of cheese I like is Monteray spicey jack, Chedder, Swiss, and Billy Joel, in that order.

This might be a generational thing. When I first knew of Chaka, she was the lead singer in a rock/funk band called Rufus. She stomped around the stage in a way that put wannabees like Mick Jagger to SHAME. This was a woman who could stare down any guitar player you threw at her.

And just by the way...as much of a cliche as Billy Joel has become, he is an incredible songwriter. Not a great singer, and maybe an over-rated piano player. But he is a very rare thing among living musicians: a writer of standards.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #81 of 88
The singer AND the kid who raps in Linkin Park. I could at least tolerate them in small doses if it weren't for their voices being the most annoying things ever placed into rock music. Just rediculous how popular they are.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #82 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The singer AND the kid who raps in Linkin Park. I could at least tolerate them in small doses if it weren't for their voices being the most annoying things ever placed into rock music. Just rediculous how popular they are.

Yeah, but the Jay-Z Frankentein studio "collaboration," O.K. "mashup" worked better than it had a right to...<g>

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #83 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adams/Mapplethorpe? I would have thought that 'those who appreciate' photography would be at least interested in both artists work, even if they preferred one style over another.
Mind, art history is probably littered with examples...

Interest is one thing, appreciation of and fondness for a work is another. I just think that your expectations are unrealistic if you believe that people who enjoy pop/rock should embrace the work of Yoko Ono. I'm not arguing that they are mutually exclusive, but it doesn't follow that fondness for the former should lead to fondness for the latter. Just like it doesn't follow that people who enjoy the work of Ansel Adams should also enjoy Robert Mapplethorpe. Saying they are both photographers and are also both known for their B&W work simply doesn't go far enough.

I'm sure there are a lot people who disparage Yoko Ono without having heard a note of her music. I am also quite certain that there are many who have heard her music and simply do not care for it. I happen to enjoy the few recordings of hers that I own, such as Plastic Ono Band. But what is good for me isn't necessarily good for everyone else.

Quote:

As for AMM, I'll have to hear em! Maybe you should spread the word: might stop the guessing. Tho it almost sounds that you like the fact that they are not more widely known/liked? Surely not!

I don't consider it my job to proactively help to build an audience for avant garde music. A great deal of it is pretty extreme. I have many recordings that make Yoko Ono seem rather sedate by comparison. I'll make recommendations to those who ask for them, but I don't go out my way to suggest that people give a fair hearing to this type of music without knowing something about their listening tastes. I want to keep the friends that I have.
biggrin.gif
I don't have an expectation that outfits like AMM will have a large following. Quite the opposite in fact. That artists such as AMM have managed to find any audience of consequence is a blessing.

If you are really interested in AMM then I recommend AMMMusic and The Crypt, June 12th 1968. They can be bought from Matchless Recordings in the UK.

http://matchlessrecordings.com/amm

It's quite harsh and impenetrable music, so consider yourself warned.

Happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

--Jerome

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #84 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adams/Mapplethorpe? I would have thought that 'those who appreciate' photography would be at least interested in both artists work, even if they preferred one style over another.

Yes, I am very much into photography and appreciate both. I got quite mad when a girlfriend took my Ansel Adams photo book to a hair salon when she got a haircut and the hairdresser lambasted it as old style for old people. If you appreciate art then you appreciate many styles, old and new. The hairdresser was just a poof who thought he was cool by being into only modern photography. Poor pretentious fool.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #85 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not as ridiculous when you think that they actually bring decent accessible harder edge (than say most pop acts) music to the masses.

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #87 of 88
Napoleon XIV (aka Jerry Samuels) - "They're coming to take me away haha!" - 1966

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #88 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Napoleon XIV (aka Jerry Samuels) - "They're coming to take me away haha!" - 1966

Yeah, but the backwards version (flip side of the original single) is one of the most psychedelic recordings ever made. Especially effective when you play the two sides back-to-back. Just really, really odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back