The strangest or most painful voice in rock/pop!
Jul 2, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 88
One that comes to mind, Megumi Hayashibara.

Did a lot of voice acting in anime a few years ago, she also did quite a few soundtracks to the same as well as some Jpop. Haven't heard too much from her in a while.
She was often referred to as having a "voice like lightning" as in never hitting the same note twice.

That being said she really improved after a couple of years to the point she could hold a note very well.

But still, Alchemy of Love from Tenchi Muyo in Love still gives me shudders. It sounds like they had to get her drunk in a karaoke bar to do the song.

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 88
The singer from Melt Banana is just about the worst as far as I'm concerned. Words fail to quantify exactly how annoying her voice becomes when listening to her for more than a few seconds. Her voice sounds like the chipmunks did an 8-ball of coke and then started shouting into a microphone. Absolutely excruciating to listen to.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #18 of 88
NEIL YOUNG

game over
Steve

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NEIL YOUNG

game over
Steve

Ha! Good one.

Bob Seger
George Thorogood (sp?)
Tom Petty
Bruce Springsteen
Elvis Costello

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 88
Whatever his name is that sings for Cinderella. Glass breaking over a chalkboard. Oh, my ears!

Oh, and the White Stripes singer.

I suppose calling them "singers" is too kind.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by VirgilD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Johnny Whitney of the blood brothers gets my vote.

Second that. That is hands down the worst singer ever I do however injoy there music. But I can only listen to them for so long before I MUST turn it off. If you dont belive me or Virgil look up some of the Blood Brothers music.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #24 of 88
Michael Stipes?

I wouldn't say he's a patently bad singer, just a little odd. Let's put it this way, you'd never, ever mistake his voice for someone else's. Not that I mean that in a bad way - R.E.M. is probably one of my top 5 favorite bands.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #27 of 88
"Singer"?

Hrmmmm yeah I can enjoy Joanna Newsom but I am not a hugeee fan and can certainly see how one can find her grating ;p

Kate Bush as well I can understand.

I think as far as actually bothers me vocal stylings... I really can't stand the yodelly falsetto whatever vocal stylings of the vocalist for Keanne and to a lesser extent Coldplay.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #28 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NEIL YOUNG

game over
Steve

Definately meets the "strange" criteria, but so help me, I really enjoy his voice. He manages to convey a range of emotions and he is the king of biting sarcasm -- think "We've got a thousand points of light/For the homeless man," or "...kinder, gentler machine gun hand." What a great song, BTW.

Oh well, you know what they say: One man's meat is another man's poison.

P.S. Did you ever stop to wonder who "they" are, exactly? And why are we always quoting them? <g>

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #29 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of my favorite singers!

biggrin.gif

She is a fun singer, most of her songs are up-tempo and fun to bop along to. I must say tho that her singing has come a long way, I have a couple of her early ballads and they are quite painful. In the last couple of years however she seems to have matured in terms of her voice.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #30 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David Thomas of Pere Ubu.

--Jerome

seconded. (as in 'strangest', not 'painful'... he sometimes sounds as if he was in pain, though...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back