The Stax thread
Sep 11, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #496 of 2,694
I have a pair of Lambda Pro Sigs in for repair and the repairer has told me I need new diaphragms. Fine. But he has also told me I will need to pay for new cushions as he the old cushions will be destroyed to get to the diaphragms. Is this right or am I being taken for a ride?

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #497 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
I have a pair of Lambda Pro Sigs in for repair and the repairer has told me I need new diaphragms. Fine. But he has also told me I will need to pay for new cushions as he the old cushions will be destroyed to get to the diaphragms. Is this right or am I being taken for a ride?

The pads are attached to the enclosure by some sort of adhesive but it isn't THAT strong iirc. (assuming that the same adhesive is also used on newer stax headphones)

how much are you going to pay for the repairs by the way? I don't think lambda pro signature diaphragms are going to be easy to obtain - if they really are using 1 micron thick diaphragms.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #498 of 2,694
oops, meant as a pm

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #501 of 2,694
lwd - Is this a local guy or someone you found through the internet?

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #503 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd

My advice is, if you can, to pull off your earpads before they go. If you can re-stick them afterwards it'll save you the cost of new earpads.

Incidentally, what you'll get back from them will effectively be a 303 due to the LP's lower bandwidth cable (although it might come with the 404's earpads if you get them). You'll never get the LP's sound back again, short of finding another pair of LP drivers.

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #504 of 2,694
The case screws sit underneath the ear pads. Removing the pads usually tears the netting covering the drivers (new ear pads are available from Audiocubes anyway and are not very pricey). As Carl said, what you will have is a 303, unless the repairer has stock of the Lamda Pro Signature drivers. It may be worth getting the cable upgraded to the 404 cable at the same time (bear in mind that new 404s cost only US$390 on Ebay, and it may be cheaper to toss these and buy some 404s or 303s)

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #508 of 2,694
Hi everyone,

I just received my STAX headphone, however I am troubled by the optical digital cable. I used to think the optical cable should make no difference since it just light passing though plastic pipe. After check out with a couple optical cable I have on hand, I was suprised different optical cable produces different sound. This is my system:
  1. Airport Express (3.5mm optical out)
  2. Pure AV Optical Cable with adapter for Airport Exress
  3. Citypulse 7.2x (DAC using fix out)
  4. Bluejeans LC1 2 foot RCA interconnect
  5. SRM313 + SR 404
(note: my PC is 50ft away from my stereo system; since I use AE as source, I must use optical cable.)

A quick check at head-fi computer-as-source forum, I found several good artical, for example this one suggest cable should be at least 1.5m to minimized feedback noise. (not sure if it refers to coxial or optical)

After I substitue cable that come with the PureAV kit with digital cable for xBox. (still using the 3.5mm optical adapter), the detail are gone. Then, I realized digital cable will have impact on my system.

There are a couple questions I would like to ask:
  1. What optical cable do you use with your STAX system?
  2. Will the 3.5mm adapter have negative effect on audio performance? (Kai suggest digital versino of iCable from monster, which doesn't require adapter) I am wondering if I can use more sophistic optical cable with adapter and get better performance.

Links:
Monster iCable
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2809

PureAV cable I have (from Belkin)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=TA968LL/A

thank you

PoJen

Since the cable is still within 14 return period. I have to make decision soon, if I decide to return it.

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #509 of 2,694
for the lambda pro sigs in need of drivers, I vote to try out the sigma pro drivers currently on eBay in them.

Sep 13, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #510 of 2,694
They should be the same as the Lamdba Pro drivers - not as thin as the Lambda Sig's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back