The Stax thread
Sep 4, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #466 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
Hello Stax Gurus

I have just got hold of a pair of Lambda Pro Sigs but the right speaker seems to have been damaged in transit.

Music comes out fine from the left hand side. From the right hand side I can just hear a tight squeaking noise, whether music is playing or not.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Will I need knew diaphragms? What's gone wrong?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Check to see the wire carrying the biasing voltage hasn't come loose in transit. If you've got a multimeter it should be easy enough to check out.

Sep 4, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #467 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
Hello Stax Gurus

I have just got hold of a pair of Lambda Pro Sigs but the right speaker seems to have been damaged in transit.

Music comes out fine from the left hand side. From the right hand side I can just hear a tight squeaking noise, whether music is playing or not.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Will I need knew diaphragms? What's gone wrong?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

The only way to know for sure is by opening up the headphone - and the drivers.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #468 of 2,694
Anyone know any place that can recable my 404's? I emailed Headphile and MoonAudio about it, but there isn't anything listed on their websites about recabling STAX earspeakers.

Oh, and Carl, what do you think of HE60 vs. SR-404 (Or other STAX earspeaker with similar sound signature)? Which do you prefer?

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #470 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Anyone know any place that can recable my 404's? I emailed Headphile and MoonAudio about it, but there isn't anything listed on their websites about recabling STAX earspeakers.

Stax already use a very nice OCC copper cable for their headphones. It's entirely possible that a recable will make it sound worse, not better.

Quote:

Oh, and Carl, what do you think of HE60 vs. SR-404 (Or other STAX earspeaker with similar sound signature)? Which do you prefer?

Well, I need to do more thorough comparisons before I can draw full-blown conclusions. The HE60 is, of course, better than the 404, but exactly how much so is still a question for me. There isn't a treble spike on the HE60 like there is with a lot of Staxes.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #471 of 2,694
My main gripe with the STAX cable is how utterly inconvenient it is for me when moving around or listening somewhere farther away from my rig (Such as at my computer, for example). I hate how the cable really tugs on the earspeakers when the cable is stretched out all the way, so I usually have to support the cable with one hand to provide relief on the earspeaker connection. However, after a while, the region that I am holding becomes hot and I start to fear that I'm making oily/removing its mint quality (I like to keep my gear in the best condition possible, especially when it's a headphone that I really like). It can become uncomfortable to constantly hold the cable with one hand. In addition, the cable is really short and "flaps around" too much for a flat cable, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't mind a slightly worse sound to fix these issues. I could get an extension cable (For $80+), but then I would be worried about the cable getting snagged on things (Already kind of an issue with the current short length).

Oh, and is there something wrong with this listing: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1162835162

$600 for an SRM-717 seems way too cheap and very tempting.

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #472 of 2,694
Quote:

My main gripe with the STAX cable is how utterly inconvenient it is for me when moving around or listening somewhere farther away from my rig (Such as at my computer, for example). I hate how the cable really tugs on the earspeakers when the cable is stretched out all the way, so I usually have to support the cable with one hand to provide relief on the earspeaker connection. However, after a while, the region that I am holding becomes hot and I start to fear that I'm making oily/removing its mint quality (I like to keep my gear in the best condition possible, especially when it's a headphone that I really like). It can become uncomfortable to constantly hold the cable with one hand. In addition, the cable is really short and "flaps around" too much for a flat cable, if you know what I mean.

I wouldn't mind a slightly worse sound to fix these issues. I could get an extension cable (For $80+), but then I would be worried about the cable getting snagged on things (Already kind of an issue with the current short length).

You could get the older stax extension cables, they're a lot more rugged looking than the flat ribbon cables, and they don't usually cost a lot. (another plus point is that those extension cables will work with both normal and pro bias headphones - I know mine does) The extension cable does affect the SQ subtly; to me it reduces the phones' immediacy (transient speed?) and takes away some of the edginess, but I can definitely live with that.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #473 of 2,694
Quote:

Ribbon cables are a pain in the pooper, but they are used for a reason. You might want to try a cable elevation system or rap a section of cable around some sort of spool (maybe a bit of wood?) and then hold it in place with some cellotape/twisty ties/rubber bands.

Quote:

Oh, and is there something wrong with this listing: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1162835162

$600 for an SRM-717 seems way too cheap and very tempting.

It didn't set off any alarm bells, but it's a matter of taste whether one wants to bother buying off someone in Italy for a 717.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
The extension cable does affect the SQ subtly; to me it reduces the phones' immediacy (transient speed?) and takes away some of the edginess, but I can definitely live with that.

That is a little thing called "capacitance".

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #474 of 2,694
Quote:

I used to own an HE60/HEV70 and currently own a pair of Lambda Pro's driven by an SRM1Mk2. (In between I ventured into K1000 land...)

Despite the current hype I would say the HE60s were really not much better than the Lambdas and for some music maybe the Lambdas are better. Of course the HE60s probably have more potential with a different amp. I'm pretty sure the HEV70 was the weakest link there. However when you compare the current market prices for these two items, it's really a no brainer to go for the Lambdas IMO.

Seeing as we're talking about extension cables, I recently bought a Stax SRE-750 5 metre extension cable. It's a great cable - I really can't hear the difference.

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #475 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd
I used to own an HE60/HEV70 and currently own a pair of Lambda Pro's driven by an SRM1Mk2. (In between I ventured into K1000 land...)

Despite the current hype I would say the HE60s were really not much better than the Lambdas and for some music maybe the Lambdas are better. Of course the HE60s probably have more potential with a different amp. I'm pretty sure the HEV70 was the weakest link there. However when you compare the current market prices for these two items, it's really a no brainer to go for the Lambdas IMO.

Seeing as we're talking about extension cables, I recently bought a Stax SRE-750 5 metre extension cable. It's a great cable - I really can't hear the difference.

Have you tried jury-rigging your HE60 up to your SRM-1?

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #477 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
It didn't set off any alarm bells, but it's a matter of taste whether one wants to bother buying off someone in Italy for a 717.

The guy is in the US (Denver, Colorado) and it ships from 80220.

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #478 of 2,694
Quote:

The guy is in the US (Denver, Colorado) and it ships from 80220.

If I were you I would save my money for a EA-1 or KGSS as Stax amps aren't really known for the best sound. I got my KGSS for $500.00 from the for sale forum here so they can be found cheap if you are patient.

Happy Listening!
gs1000.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #480 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com
If I were you I would save my money for a EA-1 or KGSS as Stax amps aren't really known for the best sound. I got my KGSS for $500.00 from the for sale forum here so they can be found cheap if you are patient.

Happy Listening!
gs1000.gif

I am aware that something like the KGSS is supposed to be several times better than any STAX amp, but I simply cannot afford it (It'd take me nearly a full year to save up enough money to blow on a KGSS, and there are other things I want to buy with my money other than headphone stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
). You must have been really lucky to find a KGSS for $500 since it seems that they usually sell for at least a grand (There was one that went for $400 and another for $700, but that was 2 years ago and seems to have been an older design from HeadAmp). I'm guessing the one you bought was DIY?

Talking net price (after selling the 313), the SRM-717 would be ~$250. Then I just need to get a decent DAC and I can have a fully balanced system
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back