The Stax thread
Aug 30, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #451 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Ahh yes, that auction.

I reported it, since is was a blatantly obvious scam attempt. The seller also had about 50 other items for sale, all of which had an opening price of 250, and a buy it now price of 700. The seller also said in all of his auctions that you could NOT contact him through the 'ask a seller a question' option, instead you were supposed to email him at an aol email address. Do scam artists even fr**kin try anymore?

At any rate, all of you STAX fans can breath easy knowing that it was a scam, and that you didn't miss the deal of the century.

Thats good to know. Nice of you to do all ebay'ers a favor.

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #453 of 2,694
Dunno how it happened, but I picked up a SR-Lambda (normally biased) along with a SRD-7 mk2. Would be interesting to do some compario's against Jahn's Lambda Pro's.

I still think used Lambdas (pro or otherwise) are the biggest bargain in headphone audio today.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 1, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #454 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Dunno how it happened, but I picked up a SR-Lambda (normally biased) along with a SRD-7 mk2. Would be interesting to do some compario's against Jahn's Lambda Pro's.

I still think used Lambdas (pro or otherwise) are the biggest bargain in headphone audio today.

Best,

-Jason

If you've still got them, drive you HE90s through the SRD-7mk2.
orphsmile.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #455 of 2,694
Hmm...I bought a RadioShack mini -> RCA adapter earlier today so that I could try using my STAX with my AV-710 and I find that I the volume level is REALLY low. I have to listen at 8.0 to get roughly the same level that I got with my CE595 at 6.0 (And with some songs I have to listen at 9.0-9.5...yikes). I have Windows' volume adjusted all the way to the second to last notch and I have the AV-710 set to "stereo headphones" (I usually use "desktop stereo speakers," but the sound levels do not change between these two modes).

Is it possible to adjust the gain on the SRM-313? Are there any modders that would be willing to adjust the gain on a commercial amp like the SRM-313?

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #456 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Hmm...I bought a RadioShack mini -> RCA adapter earlier today so that I could try using my STAX with my AV-710 and I find that I the volume level is REALLY low. I have to listen at 8.0 to get roughly the same level that I got with my CE595 at 6.0 (And with some songs I have to listen at 9.0-9.5...yikes). I have Windows' volume adjusted all the way to the second to last notch and I have the AV-710 set to "stereo headphones" (I usually use "desktop stereo speakers," but the sound levels do not change between these two modes).

Is it possible to adjust the gain on the SRM-313? Are there any modders that would be willing to adjust the gain on a commercial amp like the SRM-313?

If you're using the AV-710 lineout, it does have a very, very low output level. Theres nothing wrong with the amp or headphones.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #457 of 2,694
Does anyone know how to obtain 2 or 4 micron thick Mylar, coated in graphite? I've read about ESL owners doing DIY repairs on their arc'ed speakers, so I'm wondering whether we could do that with our arc'ed electrostatic drivers too >_> (I've just purchased an SR-X with horribly arc'ed drivers, they are mostly working... for now)

Sep 2, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #458 of 2,694
Hi
I have recently joined this community and got pretty excited by looking at people with their wide array of headphones. I have got Sennheiser HD280 Pros. That was a major upgrade for myself. But I really wanted to go for Ultrasone's HFI-650. But after I have seen these discussions and reviews over STAX ear speakers I just want to have a demo of these atleast.
I think I have just started to relish the things as an audiophile.
So my question is for that person who knows and owns STAX stuff.
If you have got Grado RS-1, Sennheiser HD650 and STAX SR007, where do you feel like yes STAX are the real Ear speakers?
Cheers,
Kousik.

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #459 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Does anyone know how to obtain 2 or 4 micron thick Mylar, coated in graphite? I've read about ESL owners doing DIY repairs on their arc'ed speakers, so I'm wondering whether we could do that with our arc'ed electrostatic drivers too >_> (I've just purchased an SR-X with horribly arc'ed drivers, they are mostly working... for now)

Doesn't the SR-X driver use a gold-evaporated coating? I think a series resistor supplies the constant-charge function. So if you use graphite you'd want to remove the series resistor. Just a thought.

Me, I'd use 'em the way they are, with sparks flyin' from my head. Scare folks. Fun.

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #460 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Doesn't the SR-X driver use a gold-evaporated coating? I think a series resistor supplies the constant-charge function. So if you use graphite you'd want to remove the series resistor. Just a thought.

Me, I'd use 'em the way they are, with sparks flyin' from my head. Scare folks. Fun.

I don't remember seeing any resistors on the SR-X's drivers. (maybe you were thinking of the SR-5, I did see something that looked like a resistor on it) If I continue using them the way they are... I wouldn't be surprised if sparks really started flyin' from my head
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #462 of 2,694
Could someone explain to me the science behind electrostats having such high impedance (Omega II - 170k)?

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #463 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Could someone explain to me the science behind electrostats having such high impedance (Omega II - 170k)?

The electrostatic elements used in most electrostatic speakers aren't true capacitors. They use impedence to "trap" the high voltage in the electrodes, rather than capacitance.

Sep 3, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #464 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I don't remember seeing any resistors on the SR-X's drivers. (maybe you were thinking of the SR-5, I did see something that looked like a resistor on it)..

The resistor would be in the SRD-7 or amp bias circuit. I think the blue widget you saw in the SR-5 was an overload protector thingy, but since I don't have a pair, I'm only taking an educated swipe at it.

Sep 3, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #465 of 2,694
Hello Stax Gurus

I have just got hold of a pair of Lambda Pro Sigs but the right speaker seems to have been damaged in transit.

Music comes out fine from the left hand side. From the right hand side I can just hear a tight squeaking noise, whether music is playing or not.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Will I need knew diaphragms? What's gone wrong?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back