The Stax thread
Sep 14, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #511 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by pojen_h@hotmail.
Hi everyone,

I just received my STAX headphone, however I am troubled by the optical digital cable. I used to think the optical cable should make no difference since it just light passing though plastic pipe. After check out with a couple optical cable I have on hand, I was suprised different optical cable produces different sound. This is my system:
  1. Airport Express (3.5mm optical out)
  2. Pure AV Optical Cable with adapter for Airport Exress
  3. Citypulse 7.2x (DAC using fix out)
  4. Bluejeans LC1 2 foot RCA interconnect
  5. SRM313 + SR 404
(note: my PC is 50ft away from my stereo system; since I use AE as source, I must use optical cable.)

A quick check at head-fi computer-as-source forum, I found several good artical, for example this one suggest cable should be at least 1.5m to minimized feedback noise. (not sure if it refers to coxial or optical)

After I substitue cable that come with the PureAV kit with digital cable for xBox. (still using the 3.5mm optical adapter), the detail are gone. Then, I realized digital cable will have impact on my system.

There are a couple questions I would like to ask:
  1. What optical cable do you use with your STAX system?
  2. Will the 3.5mm adapter have negative effect on audio performance? (Kai suggest digital versino of iCable from monster, which doesn't require adapter) I am wondering if I can use more sophistic optical cable with adapter and get better performance.

Links:
Monster iCable
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2809

PureAV cable I have (from Belkin)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=TA968LL/A

thank you

PoJen

Since the cable is still within 14 return period. I have to make decision soon, if I decide to return it.

You're using a 50ft toslink cable? And you still have a signal? Plastic toslinks are rated for 5 metres! Move your computer closer, or get a cheap laptop with a digital output to use as a streamer.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #512 of 2,694
look folks, i know this one isn't a secret from anyone following this thread, so i'll just put it out there in hopes that this thing makes it into the hands of someone who can bring it to a Meet-

THE BORG. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #513 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
look folks, i know this one isn't a secret from anyone following this thread, so i'll just put it out there in hopes that this thing makes it into the hands of someone who can bring it to a Meet-

THE BORG. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

I believe this guy was trying to sell this some months back. I wonder what the problem was? Still, it could be worth paying for some repairs. I know that Stax Japan still has some replacment boards for this.

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #514 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
so i'll just put it out there in hopes that this thing makes it into the hands of someone who can bring it to a Meet-

And if it ends up in the hands of someone in New Zealand...?
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #515 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
And if it ends up in the hands of someone in New Zealand...?
tongue.gif

Then you would have something to use with your recabled ESP950's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Alex-

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #519 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Some good deals. I would keep a watch of these if you guys are interested.

Make sure to ask the seller if they will ship to the US or wherever you are before bidding.

Stax Class A Power Amp

Stax SR Sigma

Stax SR Lamda Pro.

Here are 3 within the US that might interest you.

Stax SR Lamda Pro.

Stax SR Lamda Pro. + SRM-1/MK-2

Good luck to all bidding and go team Stax!
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex-

The second Lambda "Pro" you listed is actually a regularly biased unit, I'm pretty damn sure, since that SRD-7 is not a pro or Mk. II.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #520 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
You're using a 50ft toslink cable? And you still have a signal? Plastic toslinks are rated for 5 metres! Move your computer closer, or get a cheap laptop with a digital output to use as a streamer.

Yes, I tried to use 50ft toslink, but the sound is horriable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5851096075

I have considered a quiet PC (such as mac mini) as music server, but it is too expensive, (street price for 80GB hdd is about USD 600) compare to a wireless music adapter. (airport express, refurb for around USD 110) In either case, I will need the special 3.5mm to toslink adapter to link to my DAC.

I am going to local audio shop to see if I can check out a couple cables and tried them at home. (I really want to avoid adapters. I believe the simplier the connection is, the better sound will be.)

I was suprised on the optical digital cable have effect on the sound quality. I will also get Sony 595 to see if there is difference between reading directly from CD and playback from computer.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #521 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
The second Lambda "Pro" you listed is actually a regularly biased unit, I'm pretty damn sure, since that SRD-7 is not a pro or Mk. II.

That's right. My fault. I need to quit posting at night otherwise I will make more mistakes.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex-

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #524 of 2,694
I gotta say, that's a very very slick recabling job right there. Nicely done. What's the regular voltage for the ESP950?

Sep 14, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #525 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
I gotta say, that's a very very slick recabling job right there. Nicely done. What's the regular voltage for the ESP950?

Thanks. Regular voltage for the ESP950 is 600v.

-Alex-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back