The Stax thread
Jan 31, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #2,041 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay, Omega I scammer on eBay!

redface.gif

Yes. I spent the time to report each and every one of those to Ebay hours ago. Looks like they plan on getting right on the case.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #2,042 of 2,694
Good luck with the SR-001s. I ordered a pair of AudioCubes a few weeks ago said:
Thanks for the reply. Well, I'll give it a bit and see what happens. I did find a thread from earlier this month where a lot of people were having trouble getting their orders, and surmised it may have been a Japanese New Year effect or something. I'm willing to wait a while - just hope to see confirmation of the order fairly soon, and then maybe get them in around a week? Just guessing what first class USPS from Japan is...

I also read that some people have a "discomfort issue" with them - so there's that potential downside, I guess. Still, they seem the best choice thus far of the truly portable buds to match the pod. Will keep hopes up for now.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #2,044 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have any friends with amps based around big transmitting triodes (845, 211, 572, 811, GM70, etc), make a point of borrowing them.

Most of my friends are into home cinema, so I probably wont find any tube amps at their place.
But I have a colleague with a Lyngdorf TDA 2200, which I will try. I also plan to visit most of the 4-5 Hi-End audio stores in town, and listen to their goods.
Quote:

Yay, Omega I scammer on eBay!

redface.gif

Care posting a link? Cause I have searched, and can't find any...
Quote:

krmathis - Where'd you get the SRD-7 Pro, if you don't mind me asking?

I bought it from a fellow Head-Fier.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #2,045 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Care posting a link? Cause I have searched, and can't find any...

They've been removed. A guy with 2 feedback posted 5 identical auctions for the Omega I using pictures stolen from somewhere.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #2,046 of 2,694
Quote:

They've been removed. A guy with 2 feedback posted 5 identical auctions for the Omega I using pictures stolen from somewhere.

The pics and discription were from Stax-i-nox's recent auction.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #2,047 of 2,694
Quote:

Ok, I see!
mad.gif

At least its nice to see that the auctions have been reported and removed.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #2,048 of 2,694
Hmm... I have a bit of a problem. I sold a pair of SR-003 to a guy with a SRD-4 energiser. He says that the SR-003 refuse to work. Is there anything I should be aware of that I've overlooked?

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #2,049 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I have a bit of a problem. I sold a pair of SR-003 to a guy with a SRD-4 energiser. He says that the SR-003 refuse to work. Is there anything I should be aware of that I've overlooked?

The SRD-4 is an electret energiser, with no bias power delivery circuit. The SR-003s require a pro-level 580V bias.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #2,050 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The SR-003s are High Bias (Pro, 5 pin connector) and these will physically fit into the Normal Bias (6 pin) socket of an SRD-4 energiser, but I think the latter only has Normal Bias output(s), which is too low for the SR-003s, so they won't work. (I would say it's his problem: you sold them in good faith... )

Whoops! I stand corrected, assuming the above is correct, the SRD-4 will only drive electret headphones with built-in bias.

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #2,051 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoops! I stand corrected, assuming the above is correct, the SRD-4 will only drive electret headphones with built-in bias.

A normal-bias energiser like a SRD-6 or SRD-7 will drive a pair of pro-bias earspeakers, just not "optimally". They'll be somewhat quieter, and not as dynamic, but they will function.

An electret energiser with no bias supply will not power either a normal or pro-bias earspeaker, unless they are still capacitively holding bias current from being plugged into an energiser with a bias supply. This will wear off over time, then they'll go dark.

An electret earspeaker is permanently biased, and does not require bias current from the energiser. The energiser in this case is simply a pair of step-up transformers for the left and right positive and negative signals to the stators, without a bias supply.

No idea why Stax made these all pin compatible, but at least you can't do any damage to either earspeakers or energisers given the 5 and 6 pin arrangements.

I suppose theoretically you could damage your amp, the transformers in your step-up box, and arc the drivers in your earspeakers by running them with too low/no bias and cranking the volume to compensate.

I have noticed when my SR-XmkIIs and SRD-7 have been sitting turned off for some time, if I turn everything on but leave the SRD-7 disconnected from the mains, I will get some very quiet sound at high volume. I don't reccomend trying this...

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #2,055 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5) The energizers have their own strengths versus the dedicated amps. They are more euphonic and colored but that can be a good thing. This is a preference issue

I happen to prefer the energizers in combination with decent loudspeaker amps.
Frankly, the Stax amps aren't that great.I have owned or at least listened to most of them.
The best dedicated amp I've owned was a Rudistor Egmont.Quite good, but relatively expensive and I prefer my Staxes driven by my balanced speaker amp via energizers (SRD 7/SR-X Mk III, SRD 7 Pro/Lambda 303).
At the moment I'm listening to a tertiary rig in the kitchen.The SR-Xs driven by an Autocostruire T-2020 (Tripath based "digital" switching amp) and fed by a decent soundcard.Less than $ 350 for the whole rig and a sound I could happily live with if I had to.
Quote:

They are more euphonic and colored

I guess I do like euphonic and colored .........
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back