The Stax thread
Jan 29, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #2,011 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw ferrstein's Sigma's and thought I would comment on where headphones stand in relation to the rest of audio.

I bought my Sigma's in 1979 along with the SRA-12 amp that I could plug my turntable directly into because it had it's own phono stage. Not only were they vastly superior to my NAD amp/Clestion UL-6 speaker set-up but they blew away every amp/speaker combo I heard at every high-end dealer I visited in the Orange/LA County area at the time. Nothing even came close.

So a couple of years ago I got to thinking about those old cans and decided to try the modern version and bought the 3030 system from Audiocubes. I compared them to my current rig comprised of DIY sub with current Parts Express 8" speaker/250w amp, Maggie 1.6's from 40hz to 500hz, Altec-Lancing 902's on 500 horns from 500hz to 12,000hz and 6" Aurum Cantus Ribbons from 12,000hz up. Innersound Electrostatic amp on the Maggies. Yamamoto A-08S amp with EML solid plate 45's on the Altec's. DIY Paridise Gain Clone amp on ribbons. Marchand XM44 crossover. Tweaked Wright WPL-20 pre with Tungsram E80CC's , RCA 12SX7's and law-faked PEC carbon volume control.

While the 3030's cost a lot less than my current system the Sigma's cost a lot less than the rigs I was comparing them to 25 years ago.

Well, times change. Audio has advanced. Today's stereos sound amazing. I guess the jist is you can no longer buy a set of headphones off the shelf that sound better than any speaker system out there.

I'd rate Sigmas as better than Lambdas, personally.

I think it'd be possible to build a headphone rig that is at least reasonably competitive with your speaker rig, but it'd cost you a fair few more beans than a 3030 does.

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #2,012 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw ferrstein's Sigma's and thought I would comment on where headphones stand in relation to the rest of audio.

I bought my Sigma's in 1979 along with the SRA-12 amp that I could plug my turntable directly into because it had it's own phono stage. Not only were they vastly superior to my NAD amp/Clestion UL-6 speaker set-up but they blew away every amp/speaker combo I heard at every high-end dealer I visited in the Orange/LA County area at the time. Nothing even came close.

Do you still have the Sigma set-up? If so is it for sale?

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #2,013 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rate Sigmas as better than Lambdas, personally.

I think it'd be possible to build a headphone rig that is at least reasonably competitive with your speaker rig, but it'd cost you a fair few more beans than a 3030 does.

What specifically do you like about the Sigmas over the Lambdas?

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #2,015 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What specifically do you like about the Sigmas over the Lambdas?

Their good looks!
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #2,017 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The chocolate-brown of the Pro version is especially bootylicious.

Word brother Carl.
If I ever get the Sigma, along with the K 1000 I'll have two of the sexiest chick magnet 'phones ever to grace the planet. Oooooh yeah!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #2,019 of 2,694
...so, how do Sigma Pros (or perhaps just regular ol' Sigmas) sound compared to Lambda Pros and SR-404s? Are they comfortable (They seem like they'd be awfully difficult to support around the ears considering their large size)?

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #2,021 of 2,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you still have the Sigma set-up? If so is it for sale?

I sold the Sigma's a long time ago due to outside circumstances. I really regreted doing so. They are large but light. I found them quite comfortable.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #2,022 of 2,694
They are heavy but they sit just right on the head so very comfy. The sound is well... an acquired taste.
biggrin.gif
They aren't as clear cut as the Lambda, veiled highs and boomy bass but with the same great soundstage as the O2's. They have indeed more in common with the O2's then any other Stax phone but the O2's are much better. They still look great and make sweet music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back