The Stax Thread III
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #25,216 of 25,540
I have a shot-in-the-dark question. I have a half-finished CCS circuit for my T1S. I’m not really sure how to successfully calibrate the variable resistor, and I don’t trust myself to actually install it into my T1S. Is there anyone in Japan that would be willing to help me? I’ll accept all responsibility for risk, of course :wink:

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #25,217 of 25,540
I have a shot-in-the-dark question. I have a half-finished CCS circuit for my T1S. I’m not really sure how to successfully calibrate the variable resistor, and I don’t trust myself to actually install it into my T1S. Is there anyone in Japan that would be willing to help me? I’ll accept all responsibility for risk, of course :wink:
in lieu of that, I’d also appreciate if someone could help walk me the process to get this finished myself. I can work a soldering iron but don’t have nearly the engineering know-how to feel confident on my own based purely on all the high-level discussion I’ve seen online.

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #25,218 of 25,540
in lieu of that, I’d also appreciate if someone could help walk me the process to get this finished myself. I can work a soldering iron but don’t have nearly the engineering know-how to feel confident on my own based purely on all the high-level discussion I’ve seen online.
You are probably better off going to headcase for help

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #25,219 of 25,540
Does anyone know how much the CCS mod increases the performance of the T1S/T1? It's rated as 300v max output. How much does that go up?

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #25,220 of 25,540
Does anyone know how much the CCS mod increases the performance of the T1S/T1? It's rated as 300v max output. How much does that go up?
It is said, that the available audio energy increases by about 20% as CCS does not turn so much energy into heat as anode resistors do

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #25,222 of 25,540
In a stock T1/T1S only approx. 0.5-3mA of signal current remains for the headphones. As a result of the CCS modification, only ~2.8mA current is "consumed" by the feedback resistors, leaving 6.8-9.2 mA available to drive the headphones.

Wow. That's a huge difference. How does that compare to how a 717 drives headphones?

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #25,223 of 25,540
Wow. That's a huge difference. How does that compare to how a 717 drives headphones?
The 727 has built it constant current sources, the 717 using resistors

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #25,224 of 25,540
the current source vs the resistors is in the 3rd stage (vas). the output stage on both the 717 and 727 are emitter followers with current sources.
same as the 313,323,t8000,500s,700s,d50 and a few more.

people need to read and understand the schematics.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #25,225 of 25,540
Is a CCS modded T1 generally accepted as the best current/$ estat amp? I have my Novem which I love with my X9000 and LNS but suspect it's a little underpowered for my 007. Been considering a CCS T1 to drive the 007. If it's gonna take buying a Carbon or Megatron to get an appreciable difference over the Novem, I probably won't bother and just keep using my speaker amps + transformers. I don't need another multi thousand dollar amp in my room :sweat_smile:

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #25,226 of 25,540
Slightly off topic but I'm curious: how many forum members use their Stax/estats with vinyl? How much of the time? Under specific music situations?

I've only used my hp with digital sources. But my stereo, which was intended to be the definition of affordable digital convenience (cough cough KEF actives), now spends most of its time spinning records. The "music room" suddenly transforms until a warm and inviting concert hall.

Added bonus: With digital my kids think I'm a geek. With vinyl my kids think I'm a wizard. The truth is the former but I prefer the latter.

I'm bringing the turntable upstairs next week to pair with Stax, but I have been putting it off because a) I'm lazy and b) I cannot imagine vinyl having the same acoustic effects on hps as it does on a room. But then I didn't expect to loooove vinyl in the first place.

So maybe other forum members have anecdotal perspective :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #25,227 of 25,540
The 727 has built it constant current sources, the 717 using resistors

I meant power in mA, how does a CCS modded T1S compare to the 717 in mA?

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #25,228 of 25,540
Slightly off topic but I'm curious: how many forum members use their Stax/estats with vinyl? How much of the time? Under specific music situations?

I've only used my hp with digital sources. But my stereo, which was intended to be the definition of affordable digital convenience (cough cough KEF actives), now spends most of its time spinning records. The "music room" suddenly transforms until a warm and inviting concert hall.

Added bonus: With digital my kids think I'm a geek. With vinyl my kids think I'm a wizard. The truth is the former but I prefer the latter.

I'm bringing the turntable upstairs next week to pair with Stax, but I have been putting it off because a) I'm lazy and b) I cannot imagine vinyl having the same acoustic effects on hps as it does on a room. But then I didn't expect to loooove vinyl in the first place.

So maybe other forum members have anecdotal perspective :)
Vinyl through the Stax is a different experience that’s for sure. I love vinyl but I hate the hassles of cleaning the lp cleaning the needle etc etc etc. To make matters worse, I have a Linn LP12 with a unipivite arm. Running to sound its best I a royal pain.
Now the sound on good recordings can be awesome, good bass etc and the layering or soundstage is awsome.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #25,229 of 25,540
Is a CCS modded T1 generally accepted as the best current/$ estat amp? I have my Novem which I love with my X9000 and LNS but suspect it's a little underpowered for my 007. Been considering a CCS T1 to drive the 007. If it's gonna take buying a Carbon or Megatron to get an appreciable difference over the Novem, I probably won't bother and just keep using my speaker amps + transformers. I don't need another multi thousand dollar amp in my room :sweat_smile:

T1ccs is okay but not something I would seek out specifically to run the 007. Get the kgsshv. Carbon/bhse/mt/t2/kggg are better but the kgsshv is what I found to be a very good baseline for the 007.

You could also go for a CFA-e which I believe Mjolnir is about to drop, which is an alternative to the Kgsshv (probably worse but cheaper I think and similar output).

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #25,230 of 25,540
Vinyl through the Stax is a different experience that’s for sure. I love vinyl but I hate the hassles of cleaning the lp cleaning the needle etc etc etc. To make matters worse, I have a Linn LP12 with a unipivite arm. Running to sound its best I a royal pain.
Now the sound on good recordings can be awesome, good bass etc and the layering or soundstage is awsome.
Absolutely agree about sounds benefits and sound pains. I thought I would be annoyed by the hassle, but I find that I enjoy the ritual. On that note, I am concerned that my wife and I are drawn to warm distortion (part of the ritual) more than better SQ, which kind of defeats the purpose of using estats. The higher noise floor is also unmistakably annoying.

What I notice though is that with vinyl no instrument or note ever sounds the slightest bit (pun intended!) off in terms of timing. As in, ever. I've never bought an external clock for digital, but maybe that's the draw for clocks, as my digital setup, as "perfect" as it sounds in so many ways, never sounds consistently perfectly timed.

Now, if distortion is the cause for everything always seeming in its right place with vinyl, then please direct me to the Distortion section of your local library. For now I look forward to a week off from work and many many AB tests:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back