The Stax Thread III
Nov 19, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #24,526 of 25,523
I agree with the thoughts on the Lambda NB it is a good addition to the other earspeakers in any collection.
I had an NB jack put on my BHSE when I bought it and do not regret it at all.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #24,527 of 25,523
Honestly, it has me wanting to trade my second Sigma Pro for a Normal Bias to see what magic it has to offer…

The Lambda NB is currently on my head besting the Lambda Signature with soul music from the 60’s and 70’s in a direct comparison. Prior to this I had a hard time listening to some of the 50-60’s music on headphones because of the way the instruments and background vocals were mastered to separate channels. My ears don’t like that and so that meant I could only listen to them on speakers where it didn’t bother me.

Not a problem with the Lambda NB.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #24,528 of 25,523
I'm sure Adam ("padam") here has big smile in his face now reading all those "NB comments"
as he was the one "preaching the word" how good those are...and no one listened then... :LOL:

He was the reason I have a Lambda NB and Sigma NB now since a while.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #24,530 of 25,523
I'm sure Adam ("padam") here has big smile in his face now reading all those "NB comments"
as he was the one "preaching the word" how good those are...and no one listened then... :LOL:

He was the reason I have a Lambda NB and Sigma NB now since a while.
Haha, it’s funny you should mention that. I actually added the Lambda NB to my list of headphones the acquire from him.

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #24,531 of 25,523
Honestly, it has me wanting to trade my second Sigma Pro for a Normal Bias to see what magic it has to offer…

The Lambda NB is currently on my head besting the Lambda Signature with soul music from the 60’s and 70’s in a direct comparison. Prior to this I had a hard time listening to some of the 50-60’s music on headphones because of the way the instruments and background vocals were mastered to separate channels. My ears don’t like that and so that meant I could only listen to them on speakers where it didn’t bother me.

Not a problem with the Lambda NB.

The PRO had that super thin film driver didn't it? Like 1 micron or something. Whereas the NB were like 2 micron. IIRC, even HE-1 is thicker than the PRO SIGMA ... (2.4 micron vs 1) . Maybe too thin? I know the thickness/ thinness is not everything but... it's just weird to think about XD

Also, the advertising on the SIGMA can't be beat (pun intended)

1700429224948.jpeg

1700429270515.jpeg

The NB are magic, but cannot help but wonder how more "advanced" the l700 driver swaps have taken them...

The x9k + their TOTL amp sounded pretty darn good as well, and I preferred the sound to HE-1. That is not to say the HE-1 is bad. I would say it's the most correct sounding headphone i've heard. The x9k was more romantic to my ears

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #24,532 of 25,523
The PRO had that super thin film driver didn't it? Like 1 micron or something. Whereas the NB were like 2 micron. IIRC, even HE-1 is thicker than the PRO SIGMA ... (2.4 micron vs 1) . Maybe too thin? I know the thickness/ thinness is not everything but... it's just weird to think about XD

Also, the advertising on the SIGMA can't be beat (pun intended)

The NB are magic, but cannot help but wonder how more "advanced" the l700 driver swaps have taken them...

The x9k + their TOTL amp sounded pretty darn good as well, and I preferred the sound to HE-1. That is not to say the HE-1 is bad. I would say it's the most correct sounding headphone i've heard. The x9k was more romantic to my ears
You are correct about the thicknesses of the Sigmas. I don’t know about the HE 1.
IMG_7111.jpeg
I wasn’t a fan of the L700 in the ES Labs Sigma shell. I bought the kit from ES Labs and converted an L700 I had. I think the pad thickness from the L700 negatively effects spatial presentation of the sound due to your ears not sitting fully in the chamber. I never tried it with thinner pads.

Edit: corrected name of HE-1 to HE 1

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #24,533 of 25,523
You are correct about the thicknesses of the Sigmas. I don’t know about the HE-1.
IMG_7111.jpeg
I wasn’t a fan of the L700 in the ES Labs Sigma shell. I bought the kit from ES Labs and converted an L700 I had. I think the pad thickness from the L700 negatively effects spatial presentation of the sound due to your ears not sitting fully in the chamber. I never tried it with thinner pads.

"The HE 1 is the first electrostatic headphone with a Cool Class A MOS-FET high voltage amplifier integrated into the ear cups.

Eliminating the capacitive reactance of the cable, delivering an ultra-high impulse fidelity 200% more efficient than any other solution currently available. 2.4-micrometer platinum-vaporised diaphragms are employed as their size was shown by Sennheiser’s research to deliver optimal sound reproduction. Outstanding electrical and acoustical performance is ensured through gold-vaporised ceramic transducers, while 99.9 % silver-plated OFC cables are used for optimal conductivity. To allow you to immerse in the result of all of this are Sennheiser HE 1's ear cups, precision-machined from solid aluminum, featuring handmade ear pads of finest leather and a soft, allergen-free velour/microfibre construction."

Just thought it interesting, as one of the arguments for the PRO vs NB was that it is "faster" perhaps due to less weight of the film (however miniscule that may be), but also being on the "thinner" side vs more full bodied NB (not referring to subbass extension if any or treble extension). Moreso in the mids and naturalness of vocals.

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #24,534 of 25,523
I've heard I think the L700 Mk2, and the X9000 out of a Blue Hawaii amp at two different meetups now.

Been debating getting into Stax myself but I'm stuck in Analysis Paralysis when it comes to what amp/headphone to get. The topping amp scares me away because I read it turns itself off during bassy tracks?

I see Hifiman sells a bundle for their Jade II:
https://hifiman.com/products/detail/298

Has anyone used the Jade II amp with their Stax? Seems like a good deal if it works fine with Stax headphones.

Nov 22, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #24,535 of 25,523
I've heard I think the L700 Mk2, and the X9000 out of a Blue Hawaii amp at two different meetups now.

Been debating getting into Stax myself but I'm stuck in Analysis Paralysis when it comes to what amp/headphone to get. The topping amp scares me away because I read it turns itself off during bassy tracks?

Has anyone used the Jade II amp with their Stax? Seems like a good deal if it works fine with Stax headphones.
Forget the jade amp

Nov 23, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #24,536 of 25,523

The Jade II are surprisingly good estats for the price, but I wouldn't bother with their amps. Bear in mind, with HiFiMan in general, the build quality is meh at best. They feel like and are built like cheap Chinese garbage. The Jade II sound like a leaner, cleaner version of the Stax 007a. You can find them used for around $ 600 USD on occasion.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #24,537 of 25,523
The Jade II are surprisingly good estats for the price, but I wouldn't bother with their amps. Bear in mind, with HiFiMan in general, the build quality is meh at best. They feel like and are built like cheap Chinese garbage. The Jade II sound like a leaner, cleaner slower, less peaky version of a Stax 007a Stax Lambda. You can find them used for around $ 600 USD on occasion.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #24,538 of 25,523
Despite the thread on head-case about jade II amplifier, a friend of mine that built to me my dac, had this amplifier and related to me some problems

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #24,539 of 25,523
With the holidays approaching I usually end up with some extra cash and grab some A/V tech. I was wondering with condition and price being fairly equal (within $25 USD) which is a better unit the SRM-1 / MK-2 Pro-Pro or the SRM-006t and would either be a significant enough upgrade over a SRM 252 ?

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #24,540 of 25,523
As I rotate through some of the Stax earspeakers in my little stash, time for the Sigma Pro, circa 1987, to have a run out. Tough to drive but thank goodness the Carbon has enough grunt for it. Nice way to start the weekend here in the Equator. :)

IMG_0855.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back