The Stax Thread III
Jul 21, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #24,046 of 25,535
Yahoo Japan, "like new" technically was brand new. Unless they resealed the packaged perfectly.
I actually like the 009
009 $1400-1600, 009S $2200-$2600.

The secret is the 009BK.

009BK
009S

If I need to rank it. I place the 009BK as my pick. It could be placebo.
Btw, just messing with these guys 😆 but with lots of truth and mystery 😆
Having had the 009, 009S and 009BK, I would agree that the BK has the most coherent sound…sitting somewhere between the 009 and 009S…not sure why, perhaps the ear pads. It is the BK that I have kept.

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #24,047 of 25,535
The mafia are the best thing that happened to electrostatics in a long time. KG designs have expanded choices and have been a boon for the DIY community. They have contributed a lot. Yes they are opinionated but very knowledgeable.
Mulveling , How do you compare the ESlab vs the 007 and 009 sound wise?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #24,048 of 25,535
The mafia are the best thing that happened to electrostatics in a long time. KG designs have expanded choices and have been a boon for the DIY community. They have contributed a lot. Yes they are opinionated but very knowledgeable.
Mulveling , How do you compare the ESlab vs the 007 and 009 sound wise?
It compares very well, and sounds like a slightly warmed up 009 with a more expansive soundstage. Very well balanced & musical; does well with SS or tubes. Probably closest to the 009S (though I sold those a few years back). I think 009 ultimately scales better on an OG DIY T2 (as well as that amp more fully fixing its tonal issues than any other), and that remains my favorite combo. However, ES1a was absolutely stellar on Kerry T2, and very competitive with both 009 and 007 Mk 1 there IMO. On KGSShv, think I might actually prefer ES1a (over 007 and 009) but it's close. Very charming sound. The ES1a / KGSShv combo is my choice for best combo at (roughly) that price point (though Lambda with nice tube amp is a good contender too). 007 has never quite been my "jam" but I appreciate it once in a while. I might end up selling the ES1a (keeping two pairs of 009 and L700) but the 007 Mk 1 went first and I'm good with that.

I perceive ES1a's sensitivity to be exactly the same as 007 Mk 1, both being 4dB lower than 009, 009S and L700. It can be an annoyance when pairing it to a vinyl source with a low output level. That's really my main qualm -- wish it was more sensitive like the 009 / L700. It's also not really bringing anything new to the table that we haven't enjoyed already with 007 / 009 / 009S -- just another alternative at an appealing price point. Haven't heard of any reliability issues, which is impressive. Also a very sharp looking headphone IMO! If ESLab can improve on this concept it's gonna be amazing!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #24,050 of 25,535
I have moved on from Susvara and now main the ES-1a with Accurate Sound Mitch's convolution filters. Absolutely no looking back, and cost was fractional of Susvara.

The general voicing out of box is somewhere between SR007MK2 and SR009, but with the sharper transient edge and brightness à la 009 slightly more. It is flawed like most STAX (I have a hard time with their house sound, it's a personal preference, but treble is ethereal and "Thin" and is mostly limited to STAX themselves rather than elctrostatic HP's in general).

I usually appreciate STAX with acoustic, jazz, classical and singer/ songwriter (female) music with their default tunings and would rank my faves I've heard in order as SR007MK1, X9000. SR007A, Lambda Nova Sig (its voicing is great), Lambda (Normal Bias) & SR009. Ironically, I find 009 to be the most technical STAX I've heard, it's just way too sucked out in the upper midrange and then quickly rises into the treble making it very metallic and shrill. I would rank non-STAX Sennheiser HE60 right behind X9000; it's a no-brainer pick if you can find one used and handle/ tame the treble a bit. Massive regrets selling my mine.

The ES-1a with convolution filters are full-stop superior to all of the above, which makes me wish I had an X9000 to send to Mitch to see how it would scale with some re-tuning. X9000 still lacks a bit of macrodynamic contrast to be considered anywhere near HE1-tier. Also believe SR009(S) could immensely benefit from this DSP. More so than funneling thousands of dollars into esoteric amps (although DIY T2 is easily the greatest I've heard so far so there's that objective metric).

I'll be comparing ES-1a with an original SR-Omega on original STAX T2 next weekend. That, I can't wait for.

On another note, I finally got to hear the Sony Qualia 010, and to me it's slightly better than MDR-R10 and not nearly as flawed as online measurements on the net indicate. I think this headphone, requiring a nice seal on head and not having finely adjustable headband, made it near impossible to measure on artificial head mics due to improper seating. The midrange is more than fine, and the emphasis on detail is not as alarming as I was expecting, treble performance is exemplary although a bit rolled in the upper treble. Sennheiser put a lot of $ into HD800, taking inspiration of the Qualia, and rightfully so - it's not talked about enough. Qualia is a better dynamic headphone than HD800 and arguably better than OG Utopia - the real deal with some of the most convincingly real bass I've heard.

As far as dynamic drivers go, maybe Utopia is the most mature, but it has more dampening than the vintage sets and sounds quite restained in stage - its main shortcoming. The ATH-W2022 therefore is in my mind the best dynamic driver HP (no bias, it's a genuine feeling as I don't like any other closed back A-T truthfully) but is notable colored with immense bass reach. I'd rank Qualia right at the cusp but the overall most coherent TOTL dynamic driver. R10 right there too, but a thinner sound focusing on midrange and presence region, intoxicating mids and female vocals and a beautifully projected depth stage. I still have yet to hear A-T L3000 but will be picking up a Green leather set soon and will finally put it to my ears, I think it might show its age and not wow me technically but remaining optimistic.

Next step might be to upgrade to T2...

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 21, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #24,051 of 25,535
I always wanted a wooden 🪵 shell for a lambda.

A ZMF wood 🪵 lambda shell case (rectangle). Place the drivers inside a nice built zmf or audio technica wood 🪵 shell. With all the benefits of wood and the lambda electrostatic driver will be amaze balls.
I was actually thinking to just do it myself. A small diy project and see what happens or beg Zack to secretly make one 😆
ZMF + Stax collaboration
@zach915m

Protoss gets credit untill he makes the stax babies cry in this thread and everyone forgets. It was him. 🥳
You're about 5 months behind the curve on this one:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-caldera-new-planar-magnetic-from-zmf.964836/post-17410060

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #24,052 of 25,535
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #24,053 of 25,535
I have moved on from Susvara and now main the ES-1a with Accurate Sound Mitch's convolution filters. Absolutely no looking back, and cost was fractional of Susvara.

The general voicing out of box is somewhere between SR007MK2 and SR009, but with the sharper transient edge and brightness à la 009 slightly more. It is flawed like most STAX (I have a hard time with their house sound, it's a personal preference, but treble is ethereal and "Thin" and is mostly limited to STAX themselves rather than elctrostatic HP's in general).

I usually appreciate STAX with acoustic, jazz, classical and singer/ songwriter (female) music with their default tunings and would rank my faves I've heard in order as SR007MK1, X9000. SR007A, Lambda Nova Sig (its voicing is great), Lambda (Normal Bias) & SR009. Ironically, I find 009 to be the most technical STAX I've heard, it's just way too sucked out in the upper midrange and then quickly rises into the treble making it very metallic and shrill. I would rank non-STAX Sennheiser HE60 right behind X9000; it's a no-brainer pick if you can find one used and handle/ tame the treble a bit. Massive regrets selling my mine.

The ES-1a with convolution filters are full-stop superior to all of the above, which makes me wish I had an X9000 to send to Mitch to see how it would scale with some re-tuning. X9000 still lacks a bit of macrodynamic contrast to be considered anywhere near HE1-tier. Also believe SR009(S) could immensely benefit from this DSP. More so than funneling thousands of dollars into esoteric amps (although DIY T2 is easily the greatest I've heard so far so there's that objective metric).

I'll be comparing ES-1a with an original SR-Omega on original STAX T2 next weekend. That, I can't wait for.

On another note, I finally got to hear the Sony Qualia 010, and to me it's slightly better than MDR-R10 and not nearly as flawed as online measurements on the net indicate. I think this headphone, requiring a nice seal on head and not having finely adjustable headband, made it near impossible to measure on artificial head mics due to improper seating. The midrange is more than fine, and the emphasis on detail is not as alarming as I was expecting, treble performance is exemplary although a bit rolled in the upper treble. Sennheiser put a lot of $ into HD800, taking inspiration of the Qualia, and rightfully so - it's not talked about enough. Qualia is a better dynamic headphone than HD800 and arguably better than OG Utopia - the real deal with some of the most convincingly real bass I've heard.

As far as dynamic drivers go, maybe Utopia is the most mature, but it has more dampening than the vintage sets and sounds quite restained in stage - its main shortcoming. The ATH-W2022 therefore is in my mind the best dynamic driver HP (no bias, it's a genuine feeling as I don't like any other closed back A-T truthfully) but is notable colored with immense bass reach. I'd rank Qualia right at the cusp but the overall most coherent TOTL dynamic driver. R10 right there too, but a thinner sound focusing on midrange and presence region, intoxicating mids and female vocals and a beautifully projected depth stage. I still have yet to hear A-T L3000 but will be picking up a Green leather set soon and will finally put it to my ears, I think it might show its age and not wow me technically but remaining optimistic.

Next step might be to upgrade to T2...
Wow great ideas and journey 👍
You blended all the vintage and modern gear into a review with interesting takes.
Happy you getting to hear a l3000.

You seriously making me want to buy the dang W2022. 😆

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #24,054 of 25,535
I keep trying to convince myself that I need a new to me amp. But when I think of what I have, I tell myself no. I have an SRD-7 Pro, and I love that I can use different amps to power my headphones. I keep thinking something like an SRM 006 or a T1. Then I tell myself be happy and save up for a top of the line one like a carbon or BHSE. Oh well back to listening what I have.

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #24,055 of 25,535
My SRD-7 MK2 finally arrived, it was stuck in customs for a week and a half. Within 24hrs I find myself cutting and soldering it. Put a 4 pin XLR on it and have it hooked up to my Bliss as I type this. Can still do speaker terminals if I want, I simply connect my XLR to banana plug adapter.

Hasn't blown up my Lambda Pro after an hour so I guess I'll hook up the X9000 soon.
Next up is removing the thermistor inside, replacing capacitors and swapping some resistors around.

Also regarding the cost discussion, I got this adapter box as a bundle with the Lambda pro and it was only $800 for both. Great value imo, the Lambda Pro has an excellent sound and holds its own against the more expensive Omegas. Definitely possible to get into the STAX world for not too much money. Would have been even cheaper if I got an SRD-7 MK1 and modded it to 580V.

Update: Holo Bliss + X9000 is... bliss. Wow. Would love to head to head this setup against BHSE, I think this "cheap" $3k amp could hold its own. More people should explore using estats on traditional amps imo. I haven't even modded the SRD-7 yet, let alone built my own Lundahl transformer box. Only gonna get better from here.

Attachments

• 356870053_273825271922435_4206497426378799557_n.jpg
    356870053_273825271922435_4206497426378799557_n.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 356936661_192187146937943_2805862830256950168_n.jpg
    356936661_192187146937943_2805862830256950168_n.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #24,056 of 25,535
Also I have some good news for you guys, I'm sending my X9000 and 007 off to Mitch at Accurate Sound to make a filter for them, probably early September.
He has my Expanse, Utopia, Liric, and Verite Open currently. Putting a lot of faith in this man :sweat_smile:

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #24,057 of 25,535
Also I have some good news for you guys, I'm sending my X9000 and 007 off to Mitch at Accurate Sound to make a filter for them, probably early September.
He has my Expanse, Utopia, Liric, and Verite Open currently. Putting a lot of faith in this man :sweat_smile:
Awesome! More headphones to the data bank.

I would trust him without concern! I sent him ES-1a, ADX5000 & MM500.

Speaking of which, ADX5000 also sounds amazing with filter @protoss

MM500 barely changed, its tuning is already something along the lines of Mitch’s target, but sadly MM500 isn’t the most resolving set. Not very dynamic.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #24,058 of 25,535
1690117382402.png

Kevin Gilmore Megatron and Kevin Gilmore Stax T2, both built by Soren Brix

Megatron

• Build according to KG design
  • 450 V HV
  • Golden Reference HV and LV Power supply
  • Transformers: 400 VA + 2x 40 VA
  • Tubes:
1st Stage (12AU7/ECC82/(E80CC)): EH 12AU7

2nd Stage (12AX7/ECC83): ECC83 TELEFUNKEN Smooth Plates

Output (EL34): TESLA brown base (double O-getter)

CCS (EL34): Russian MULLARDS

T2
  • Build according to KG redesigned T2, no replacement semiconductors
  • 500 V KG power supply
  • RK50 attenuator
  • Tubes:
  • Input (6922): JAN PHILIPS (Sylvania)
  • Output (EL34): TESLA brown base (double O-getter)

Testing source

QOBUZ/TIDAL è SINGXER SU6 (DDC) è MUSETEC MH-DA005 (DA) è MT XLR out to T2

Cables (just for the record, no talent on my side to hear a noteworthy difference to previously used cheaper whatever cables…)

USB è DDC: AQ Coffee, I2S DDC è DA: AQ Carbon 48, XLR DA è MT: Inakustik NF-803, XLR Megatron è T2: ORB J10

Musetec runs with 2x Sabre 9038 pro, but is tuned to a warmer, less than for ESS typical forward/incisive signature. Matrix X-Sabre 3 with same 2x 9038 pro e.g. was a lot leaner and more incisive sounding. Overall sound signature I would describe as fairly neutral.

Music

Completely mixed, but I listened less to classical music.

Headphones

Stax SR307, 007A (2016, port + spring mod), 009, 009S, X9000

Sound

Treble
Extension and resolution seems similar on both, outstanding (maybe slight advantage for T2).
Treble on MT is more rounded and never causing fatigue, slightly subdued in comparison to T2. A completely grain free and sweet presentation.
T2 is presenting treble with more energy and dynamics, and most important, without harshness. Treble kicks in much stronger on T2 and more immediate, but appears not overdone in absolute terms.

Mids
Mids on MT appear to my ears as full, very liquid and “creamy” sounding. There is absolutely no shout to vocals (or anything), no matter how far the volume is cranked up.

On T2 the mids are tighter, less warm and big sounding, but maybe more articulated and focused. Probably many would say more neutral than MT, but I cannot say MT having colored mids in the reverse conclusion.

Bass
MT bass is precise, extends deep and delivers the fattest bass of all amps I listened to. T2 bass is most precise and extends deeper, bass is not as big and fat as MT. Bass impact is very prominent on MT (but not overdone), but is in comparison softer. T2 bass can hit you like a hammer, there is so much punch and rumble, if the music demands for it. MT is more polite in comparison. IMO the bass presentation of both suits all the a.m. headphones very well, and this alone sets both amps apart.

Overall

MT overall sound signature is relaxed and engaging at the same time, timbre is on the warm side. Both micro- and macrodynamics is great (be sure, all these EL34 are no statists). Already after plugging in MT for the first time, with the very first song it was clear to me that it is special in the way how harmonic its sounds. Tuning is on the softer side, very natural. There is not too much tube glare (unlike e.g. an unmodified SRM007t). The attribute coherency comes into mind, and that this is no one trick pony, more like experiencing one of the most “adult” sound of an amp I ever listened to, whether HP or speaker amp. Paired with great resolution all across the board, good transparency, delivering the most beautiful sound colours. Soundstage is very wide and deep, but exactly not like some overly exaggerated fuzzy tube amp staging one might have experienced. Next on the favorite list is how much body is given to the music, especially to the bass, resp. the lower frequencies in general. I guess this is not the kind of tuning one can generate by EQing other amps, this is organically implemented, and it suits the Staxes so well (even my 007A). MT is the perfect amp for (very) long listening sessions.

T2: Overall more (most!) energetic and more straight sounding. The analogy of an athlete, whose muscles are always tensioned comes to mind. This leads to a very lifelike (but not stressful) presentation, there seems to be not one millisecond delay from the record till it reaches the ear. Simply impressive!

T2 sounds a bit brighter/leaner than MT, having less of this “organic charm”, but there is even more transparency. Many might say T2 is more neutral. In comparison to the Carbon I experienced, T2 is less bright. I think there is enough warmth for most tastes and I think this makes a big difference. If some amps (also sources and transducers) suffer from either being highly dynamic but more lean sounding, while others from being warm but less dynamic, this is not the case with T2. I guess most would say T2 is where you want it to have. Compared to MT, stage on T2 is smaller, but probably more “correct” in size, with width and depth equally pronounced.

Mainly because of in comparison less treble energy of MT, listening at higher volume is possible and can be highly enjoyable. Both amps have excellent reverb, another ability which sets them apart from the other amps I could try before (speaking from memory though). Reverb on MT seems to be even more distinct than on T2.

T2 adds excitement already at low listening volumes. T2s most energetic presentation challenges you more, especially when cranking up the pot. You will not read a book while listening to music which is presented with this lifelike absolute authority.

Tube rolling

Megatron

Above mentioned tube configuration is based on the preceding words. Few other settings I tried:

1st stage
  • E80CC instead of 12AU7. (Possible if the PS can handle the filament current of 0,6 A instead of 0,3 A. Using this tube results in slightly more gain.)
  • I tried Valvo (Heerlen) and Tungsram E80CC. Both seem to be similar in sonics. This leads to a more engaging presentation, leaner and more treble sparkle compared to the EHs, but in the last time I feel it is maybe somehow not 100% “harmonic”. I would say its a preference thing. For now I switched back to EH 12AU7, because:
2nd stage
  • Coming from EH 12AX7 I switched to Telefunken ECC83 (Smooth plates), and this tube makes a difference. The Tele is adding resolution, treble extension, midrange presence and stage depth, tight bass. It is not a very tubey sounding tube I would say, but suits in this position very well, highly recommended. Together with a.m. E80CCs maybe too much of a good thing, bringing it to the lean side.
  • I tried also Valvo ECC83 MC2 45° (Hamburg), this adds some 3D stage, but overall a bit too sleepy for my taste here.
Output stage
  • Coming from Russian Mullards. They are overall pleasing in every regard, nothing to complain about. Recently I put in the Teslas, and they seem to be slightly more refined and clear sounding, a bit tighter in a good way. JJ EL34 II were no improvement (too lean). Overall there seems less influence compared to 1st and 2nd stage rolling, maybe no need to spend big money here. (Btw., GG was reacting much more on changing EL34)
  • CCS: The Mullards I never changed.
  • Receiving any experience from other MT owners would be very welcome.
(edit: Telefunken + Tungsram ECC82 and vintage Mullard ECC83 are on its way)

T2
  • No change of the input tubes so far (want to try Valvos)
  • Changed the output from Russian Mullards to the Teslas. Not very much difference, but the Teslas I liked better. Also here overall a bit clearer, tighter with better treble resolution, but not night and day.

Synergy with Headphones (preliminary)

This was respective still is not an easy (but most enjoyable!) task, personal preference as mood and music are playing a role and there are many combinations + influence of tube rolling. I think I can already say that none of the mentioned headphones sounds less than at least very good on both amps, there are no real sonic mismatches.

Megatron
  • X9000: Especially with this one I had my issues when getting it and I was not sure whether I would keep it. When MT arrived, I found missing synergy with X9000, so I forgot that idea. The full bodied character of MT with its thick mids was like it was made for X9000. Only area where I feel “only” good synergy, is in the treble. Both partners are having great resolution and extension, but are on the softer respective harmonic side.
  • 009/009S (I will not differentiate between these at this point): IMO the perfect match! Period. I doubt anybody would call 009 bright or edgy in this combination and you would be surprised at which volume fatigue free listening is possible.
  • 307: see 009, just wow. I would prefer 307 with MT over the round Staxes on certain “lesser” amps.
  • 007A: IMO also a good match and no, I do not find the bass region too congested. But indeed a combination where bass heads might lift an eyebrow. Btw., MT is able to drive also 007 to unhealthy volume levels, and everything remains so listenable.
  • (Once I could compare 007Mk1 (70xxx) and my 007A on MT and Carbon. 007MK1 I liked better on Carbon, but 007A (and all the other HPs) I preferred on MT.)

T2
  • X9000: Very good match, but different synergy than with MT. As T2 adds a bit less body and thick mids to the music than MT, presentation is of course also leaner (but luckily not lean in absolute terms). Where X9000 really profits is in the bass and treble. Compared to 009, X9000 bass bleeds a bit into the lower mids (my perception), but the control, punch and precision of T2 cures that for me in a noteworthy way. The treble of X9000 was originally an issue for me. While resolution could not be better, treble is on the soft side and I missed macro dynamics, excitement. T2 cured this, treble is simply outstanding now.
  • 009: Very very good match (at lower volume perfect). Two wild tigers are meeting, playing with their laser swords. All the qualities of T2 applied on 009 lead to a maximum exciting listening experience. For me the most impressive of all combinations at lower volume. Listening loudly for longer time can be too much of a good thing though. Right now I prefer 009S over 009 on T2, as it is slightly more “civil”, less challenging at higher volume.
  • 307: Very good match, highly energetic and exciting sounding. Reasonable volume without fatigue is possible. And while I rate a 009 or 009S (which share a good part of their tuning with 307) higher, it is again surprising how much also this one is scaling with amplification. Taking into account I paid 250 € new, this thing is a kind of small wonder.
  • 007A: You expect it, and yes, T2 fits to 007A perfectly. T2 transforms specially this one to a much more awake and precise transducer. Midrange recession is reduced, bass is juicy and accurate, the treble alive and just right. Having all the HP in front I ones was about to swap from 009 to 007, until I realized 007 was already on my head.

Overall thoughts:

I can easily agree with previous statements who called these two amplifiers outstanding, both are by far the ones I enjoy the most. Every headphone I tried sounds great in its own way with either amp, pairing is in the end as always a question of preference.

IMO T2 is not simply a better Megatron, as a Ferrari is no better Bentley. The full bodied and liquid tuning of MT is something very special and it suits probably the taste of many. On the other hand the energetic nature of T2 in combination with its balanced and lifelike sound is impossible to ignore and I´m sure will excite every listener.

Before T2 arrived here I thought at low volume listening most estat amplifiers do sound more similar to each other vs when cranked up, when more capable amps dominate due to lower distortion and all that. T2 somehow disproved this for me, I expect this alone might make some prefer T2 over MT.

I hope I could give a little bit of (preliminary) indication what to expect with these amps. Sorry for a not more polished language, and while reading it there are repititions…(never tried to describe sound in more than 2-3 lines before).
Btw, some might need to consider the WAF (wife acceptancy factor). I can say MT with its smaller one box solution is easier to “sell” for having it in the living room :wink:

Again, thank you Soren for providing these two excellent builts. Kevin, thank you for making these possible.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #24,059 of 25,535
1690117382402.png

Kevin Gilmore Megatron and Kevin Gilmore Stax T2, both built by Soren Brix

Megatron

• Build according to KG design
  • 450 V HV
  • Golden Reference HV and LV Power supply
  • Transformers: 400 VA + 2x 40 VA
  • Tubes:
1st Stage (12AU7/ECC82/(E80CC)): EH 12AU7

2nd Stage (12AX7/ECC83): ECC83 TELEFUNKEN Smooth Plates

Output (EL34): TESLA brown base (double O-getter)

CCS (EL34): Russian MULLARDS

T2
  • Build according to KG redesigned T2, no replacement semiconductors
  • 500 V KG power supply
  • RK50 attenuator
  • Tubes:
  • Input (6922): JAN PHILIPS (Sylvania)
  • Output (EL34): TESLA brown base (double O-getter)

Testing source

QOBUZ/TIDAL è SINGXER SU6 (DDC) è MUSETEC MH-DA005 (DA) è MT XLR out to T2

Cables (just for the record, no talent on my side to hear a noteworthy difference to previously used cheaper whatever cables…)

USB è DDC: AQ Coffee, I2S DDC è DA: AQ Carbon 48, XLR DA è MT: Inakustik NF-803, XLR Megatron è T2: ORB J10

Musetec runs with 2x Sabre 9038 pro, but is tuned to a warmer, less than for ESS typical forward/incisive signature. Matrix X-Sabre 3 with same 2x 9038 pro e.g. was a lot leaner and more incisive sounding. Overall sound signature I would describe as fairly neutral.

Music

Completely mixed, but I listened less to classical music.

Headphones

Stax SR307, 007A (2016, port + spring mod), 009, 009S, X9000

Sound

Treble
Extension and resolution seems similar on both, outstanding (maybe slight advantage for T2).
Treble on MT is more rounded and never causing fatigue, slightly subdued in comparison to T2. A completely grain free and sweet presentation.
T2 is presenting treble with more energy and dynamics, and most important, without harshness. Treble kicks in much stronger on T2 and more immediate, but appears not overdone in absolute terms.

Mids
Mids on MT appear to my ears as full, very liquid and “creamy” sounding. There is absolutely no shout to vocals (or anything), no matter how far the volume is cranked up.

On T2 the mids are tighter, less warm and big sounding, but maybe more articulated and focused. Probably many would say more neutral than MT, but I cannot say MT having colored mids in the reverse conclusion.

Bass
MT bass is precise, extends deep and delivers the fattest bass of all amps I listened to. T2 bass is most precise and extends deeper, bass is not as big and fat as MT. Bass impact is very prominent on MT (but not overdone), but is in comparison softer. T2 bass can hit you like a hammer, there is so much punch and rumble, if the music demands for it. MT is more polite in comparison. IMO the bass presentation of both suits all the a.m. headphones very well, and this alone sets both amps apart.

Overall

MT overall sound signature is relaxed and engaging at the same time, timbre is on the warm side. Both micro- and macrodynamics is great (be sure, all these EL34 are no statists). Already after plugging in MT for the first time, with the very first song it was clear to me that it is special in the way how harmonic its sounds. Tuning is on the softer side, very natural. There is not too much tube glare (unlike e.g. an unmodified SRM007t). The attribute coherency comes into mind, and that this is no one trick pony, more like experiencing one of the most “adult” sound of an amp I ever listened to, whether HP or speaker amp. Paired with great resolution all across the board, good transparency, delivering the most beautiful sound colours. Soundstage is very wide and deep, but exactly not like some overly exaggerated fuzzy tube amp staging one might have experienced. Next on the favorite list is how much body is given to the music, especially to the bass, resp. the lower frequencies in general. I guess this is not the kind of tuning one can generate by EQing other amps, this is organically implemented, and it suits the Staxes so well (even my 007A). MT is the perfect amp for (very) long listening sessions.

T2: Overall more (most!) energetic and more straight sounding. The analogy of an athlete, whose muscles are always tensioned comes to mind. This leads to a very lifelike (but not stressful) presentation, there seems to be not one millisecond delay from the record till it reaches the ear. Simply impressive!

T2 sounds a bit brighter/leaner than MT, having less of this “organic charm”, but there is even more transparency. Many might say T2 is more neutral. In comparison to the Carbon I experienced, T2 is less bright. I think there is enough warmth for most tastes and I think this makes a big difference. If some amps (also sources and transducers) suffer from either being highly dynamic but more lean sounding, while others from being warm but less dynamic, this is not the case with T2. I guess most would say T2 is where you want it to have. Compared to MT, stage on T2 is smaller, but probably more “correct” in size, with width and depth equally pronounced.

Mainly because of in comparison less treble energy of MT, listening at higher volume is possible and can be highly enjoyable. Both amps have excellent reverb, another ability which sets them apart from the other amps I could try before (speaking from memory though). Reverb on MT seems to be even more distinct than on T2.

T2 adds excitement already at low listening volumes. T2s most energetic presentation challenges you more, especially when cranking up the pot. You will not read a book while listening to music which is presented with this lifelike absolute authority.

Tube rolling

Megatron

Above mentioned tube configuration is based on the preceding words. Few other settings I tried:

1st stage
  • E80CC instead of 12AU7. (Possible if the PS can handle the filament current of 0,6 A instead of 0,3 A. Using this tube results in slightly more gain.)
  • I tried Valvo (Heerlen) and Tungsram E80CC. Both seem to be similar in sonics. This leads to a more engaging presentation, leaner and more treble sparkle compared to the EHs, but in the last time I feel it is maybe somehow not 100% “harmonic”. I would say its a preference thing. For now I switched back to EH 12AU7, because:
2nd stage
  • Coming from EH 12AX7 I switched to Telefunken ECC83 (Smooth plates), and this tube makes a difference. The Tele is adding resolution, treble extension, midrange presence and stage depth, tight bass. It is not a very tubey sounding tube I would say, but suits in this position very well, highly recommended. Together with a.m. E80CCs maybe too much of a good thing, bringing it to the lean side.
  • I tried also Valvo ECC83 MC2 45° (Hamburg), this adds some 3D stage, but overall a bit too sleepy for my taste here.
Output stage
  • Coming from Russian Mullards. They are overall pleasing in every regard, nothing to complain about. Recently I put in the Teslas, and they seem to be slightly more refined and clear sounding, a bit tighter in a good way. JJ EL34 II were no improvement (too lean). Overall there seems less influence compared to 1st and 2nd stage rolling, maybe no need to spend big money here. (Btw., GG was reacting much more on changing EL34)
  • CCS: The Mullards I never changed.
  • Receiving any experience from other MT owners would be very welcome.
(edit: Telefunken + Tungsram ECC82 and vintage Mullard ECC83 are on its way)

T2
  • No change of the input tubes so far (want to try Valvos)
  • Changed the output from Russian Mullards to the Teslas. Not very much difference, but the Teslas I liked better. Also here overall a bit clearer, tighter with better treble resolution, but not night and day.

Synergy with Headphones (preliminary)

This was respective still is not an easy (but most enjoyable!) task, personal preference as mood and music are playing a role and there are many combinations + influence of tube rolling. I think I can already say that none of the mentioned headphones sounds less than at least very good on both amps, there are no real sonic mismatches.

Megatron
  • X9000: Especially with this one I had my issues when getting it and I was not sure whether I would keep it. When MT arrived, I found missing synergy with X9000, so I forgot that idea. The full bodied character of MT with its thick mids was like it was made for X9000. Only area where I feel “only” good synergy, is in the treble. Both partners are having great resolution and extension, but are on the softer respective harmonic side.
  • 009/009S (I will not differentiate between these at this point): IMO the perfect match! Period. I doubt anybody would call 009 bright or edgy in this combination and you would be surprised at which volume fatigue free listening is possible.
  • 307: see 009, just wow. I would prefer 307 with MT over the round Staxes on certain “lesser” amps.
  • 007A: IMO also a good match and no, I do not find the bass region too congested. But indeed a combination where bass heads might lift an eyebrow. Btw., MT is able to drive also 007 to unhealthy volume levels, and everything remains so listenable.
  • (Once I could compare 007Mk1 (70xxx) and my 007A on MT and Carbon. 007MK1 I liked better on Carbon, but 007A (and all the other HPs) I preferred on MT.)

T2
  • X9000: Very good match, but different synergy than with MT. As T2 adds a bit less body and thick mids to the music than MT, presentation is of course also leaner (but luckily not lean in absolute terms). Where X9000 really profits is in the bass and treble. Compared to 009, X9000 bass bleeds a bit into the lower mids (my perception), but the control, punch and precision of T2 cures that for me in a noteworthy way. The treble of X9000 was originally an issue for me. While resolution could not be better, treble is on the soft side and I missed macro dynamics, excitement. T2 cured this, treble is simply outstanding now.
  • 009: Very very good match (at lower volume perfect). Two wild tigers are meeting, playing with their laser swords. All the qualities of T2 applied on 009 lead to a maximum exciting listening experience. For me the most impressive of all combinations at lower volume. Listening loudly for longer time can be too much of a good thing though. Right now I prefer 009S over 009 on T2, as it is slightly more “civil”, less challenging at higher volume.
  • 307: Very good match, highly energetic and exciting sounding. Reasonable volume without fatigue is possible. And while I rate a 009 or 009S (which share a good part of their tuning with 307) higher, it is again surprising how much also this one is scaling with amplification. Taking into account I paid 250 € new, this thing is a kind of small wonder.
  • 007A: You expect it, and yes, T2 fits to 007A perfectly. T2 transforms specially this one to a much more awake and precise transducer. Midrange recession is reduced, bass is juicy and accurate, the treble alive and just right. Having all the HP in front I ones was about to swap from 009 to 007, until I realized 007 was already on my head.

Overall thoughts:

I can easily agree with previous statements who called these two amplifiers outstanding, both are by far the ones I enjoy the most. Every headphone I tried sounds great in its own way with either amp, pairing is in the end as always a question of preference.

IMO T2 is not simply a better Megatron, as a Ferrari is no better Bentley. The full bodied and liquid tuning of MT is something very special and it suits probably the taste of many. On the other hand the energetic nature of T2 in combination with its balanced and lifelike sound is impossible to ignore and I´m sure will excite every listener.

Before T2 arrived here I thought at low volume listening most estat amplifiers do sound more similar to each other vs when cranked up, when more capable amps dominate due to lower distortion and all that. T2 somehow disproved this for me, I expect this alone might make some prefer T2 over MT.

I hope I could give a little bit of (preliminary) indication what to expect with these amps. Sorry for a not more polished language, and while reading it there are repititions…(never tried to describe sound in more than 2-3 lines before).
Btw, some might need to consider the WAF (wife acceptancy factor). I can say MT with its smaller one box solution is easier to “sell” for having it in the living room :wink:

Again, thank you Soren for providing these two excellent builts. Kevin, thank you for making these possible.
...good god...the rest of us can just pack up and go home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back