The Stax Thread III
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #23,552 of 25,660
Another question with a totally different subject.
I have a pair of Shure KSE 1500 I`m feeding from an Astrell & Kern dap. Really like the resolution, details and transparency especially
in the lower register. They are however too akward to get of quickly, when working from home and the phone rings. Where would I be
in the Stax range to match their neutral sound, a pair of SR007 mk1 or SR009?
Sincerely hope for replies by the enormous experience in this forum.

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #23,553 of 25,660
Another question with a totally different subject.
I have a pair of Shure KSE 1500 I`m feeding from an Astrell & Kern dap. Really like the resolution, details and transparency especially
in the lower register. They are however too akward to get of quickly, when working from home and the phone rings. Where would I be
in the Stax range to match their neutral sound, a pair of SR007 mk1 or SR009?
Sincerely hope for replies by the enormous experience in this forum.
Look at the SR 002/003. With the wingtips they come out fast

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #23,554 of 25,660
Therkild,

Are you looking for a stationary or a mobile application ?
All STAXes need an “energizer”, not an ordinary DAP / HP Amp output . Hence, for mobile use, you would need one of those smaller STAX models such as the STAX SRM-D10 (maybe there are other brands) For stationary, the choice is much wider ...and you can spend an arm & a leg.....:smirk:
For the actual Phones, the 007 is surely a more than adequate much for most IEMs.
IF easy handling (for quick removal and the re-positioning without hassle) is important to you , IMHO the 007 is better suited than the 009 series, due to the different headband & swiffel construction . But this is a matter of taste and personal preference.
“SOUND wise”, please do read the numerous - and contradictory !! – Reviews in this forum…

Regards
Urs

BTW: As I recall, those smaller “so-called mobile In-Ear-Type” STAXes are not on a sound & quality level of the “Big” Staxes .

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #23,555 of 25,660
Hi Urs.
Yes I`m looking for a pair of Stax over ears with the same neutral clarity as the Shure`s. Perfectly happy with the Shure`s they are just a bit akward to
remove when working from home and the phone suddenly rings.
I`m also perfectly aware of the need for an energizer just as the Shure`s has one. The Shure KSE 1200/1500 are world class/leading 100% electrostatic in-ears. So I`m looking for something very neutral and good. Miles may vary as the say.
I`m 56 and Hi-Fi enthusiast, just never been active on head-fi forums before.
As I understand from my recent +50 hours scanning various Stax threads, the 007 mk1 was with one sound signature that changed with the MK2 hence the blue tack trick. SR009 former world reference, more on the major differences between 007 mk1 and 009 mk1.
Regars
Thomas

Apr 23, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #23,556 of 25,660
-007 mkII's sound shouty around 900hz and 1300hz. Enlarging the diameter of metal springs reduce that peak and brings the response there closer to 007mkI's response.
-007's have very dark sound signature, the vocals are significantly recessed compared to, say, Susvara. 007 boosts very high overtones, recesses the mid tones and low treble. Some people think 007's have very accurate mids & low treble. Well, either, they are high on copium or they have a very weird ear canal acoustic impedance which makes mids boosted.
-007's have more midbass presence than mids. Talking from memory, blu-tack mod actually boosts the bass below the resonance frequency of the diaphragm which is around 70hz. Blocking the bass reflex port also kills the sub bass boost around 50hz. Yes, blu-tack mode makes the sub bass tighter because it extends better but it also reduces the 50-70hz energy which makes 007s rumble less.

009's are bass light, bright, thin. No.
X9000's are the only Stax headphones with decent tuning in my opinion. I'd recommend you @Therkild to try Hifiman Shangri La Jr or Jade II if you want neutral-like sound. Then they'll have a weird 1500hz recession and a 13khz peak But these are small errors compared to extremely recessed mids of 007 or extremely recessed bass of 009's.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #23,557 of 25,660
Thanks Tugbars.
Very informative.

Sound and neutrality ae obvious still very subjective impressions. I`ve been in hifi and musical instruments long enough to know that.
Also that you can`t “read your way to sound references” and that it`s also about synergies in the entire signal chain.

As written above, I`ve been playing music all my adult life. What I mean in a “neutral“ sound reproduction are things like:
Aa piano must sound like what it is - A resonance frame in which a number of strings are suspended and hit with a wooden mallet with a filt
cover on it. It`s not “one” sound it`s the combination of all these factors.
A kick drum doesn`t just make an umphh, it`s a combination of the mallet hitting the skin and the way the wooden kettle amplifies this.
A bass guitar (what I play) is either with alder, ash, mahogony, Bubinga, Walnut body influencing the tone (plus many other options) and fitted with either single coil or humbucker PU`s. The way you plug the strings and alter the sound just by twisting your fingers a bit, or palm mute the strings. It`s these details I enjoy discovering and why the more “neutral” the better. The cleaner the front screen, the better the view.
The Shure KSE1500 have opened up new impressions of songs I though I new, as vocals are suddenly better separated, back ground details
move forward, detail in especially the lower register far more resolved. Synthezier notes where you suddenly notice it`s not just a single uniform note but there`s a vibration/pitch change in addition to it.

Hope you get where I come from with above.

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #23,558 of 25,660
My living room set-up including absorption, diffusion and Helmholz resonaters. Electrical noise filtering. Plus a homemade turntable consisting of a 40 lbs. Oak plint with a 12” inch unipivot carbon fiber arm with a frequency and voltage adjustable speed controller. Tube riaa build by a friend etc etc. So yeah, nice hobby 😀

E55C9943-9348-4B34-A02E-692102D77F6D.jpeg

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #23,559 of 25,660
Hi Urs.
Yes I`m looking for a pair of Stax over ears with the same neutral clarity as the Shure`s. Perfectly happy with the Shure`s they are just a bit akward to
remove when working from home and the phone suddenly rings.
I`m also perfectly aware of the need for an energizer just as the Shure`s has one. The Shure KSE 1200/1500 are world class/leading 100% electrostatic in-ears. So I`m looking for something very neutral and good. Miles may vary as the say.
I`m 56 and Hi-Fi enthusiast, just never been active on head-fi forums before.
As I understand from my recent +50 hours scanning various Stax threads, the 007 mk1 was with one sound signature that changed with the MK2 hence the blue tack trick. SR009 former world reference, more on the major differences between 007 mk1 and 009 mk1.
Regars
Thomas
Thomas, quick Q: what will be your Stax energizer? That will make a difference.

Apr 23, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #23,560 of 25,660
Thomas,
Sorry, to rehash my "usual old-fashioned" advice (and its no news to you either, I guess !!) on most matters of "High-End-Type" gear:
Only YOUR ears matter !!
Take the time to check out and test whatever gear you can get your hands on - or your ears in between !! - for those various contenders.
Reviews are nice indeed, IF you know the reviewer & his taste :wink:

Regards
Urs

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #23,561 of 25,660
Exactly Urs!
And I`m fine with trying my way, as it`s the only way that`ll bring a result.
And yes concerning understanding the reviewer or journalist. For many years I read a german instrument magazine
(none like that in a small country like Denmark) and all the bass gear reviews were always by the same person.
After a period of trying some of the gear he tested, you got to know his approach and preferences. Latter not always
to your own liking but you knew where he was going with his judgement.
Other example, I once bought a rather expensive Riaa after reading numerous very appraising reviews of it. Put it
up for sale two hours after testing it first time. Simply didn`t work in my “system”. You win some you loose some, and
that`s okay.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #23,562 of 25,660
Thanks to the fellow who showed their use of a Comp-Cool fan on Stax amp (it was @ESL-1 - thanks!).
3 fans does a pretty good job of keeping the OG DIY T2's top plate below scorching :sweat_smile:
Those 3 spots are where it gets hottest. No issues from that per se; just wanted to help further ensure longevity if I can. Really enjoying this amp with OG SR-009 lately; some really stellar headphone sessions. Still ranks as my "ultimate" headphone & amp combo 10 years after I first heard Purk's. Though I get why he prefers he90 (also on this amp).

Strangely think I'm kinda preferring the Russian Mullard EL34 over vintage Amperex / Holland EL34. This amp doesn't need anymore warmth & sweetness from the tubes. British Mullards go even further in the wrong direction. Siemens E88CC are excellent in the 6922 slot - I'm really not a fan of the Amperex / Holland tubes here.

1682275788682.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #23,563 of 25,660
Exactly Urs!
And I`m fine with trying my way, as it`s the only way that`ll bring a result.
And yes concerning understanding the reviewer or journalist. For many years I read a german instrument magazine
(none like that in a small country like Denmark) and all the bass gear reviews were always by the same person.
After a period of trying some of the gear he tested, you got to know his approach and preferences. Latter not always
to your own liking but you knew where he was going with his judgement.
Other example, I once bought a rather expensive Riaa after reading numerous very appraising reviews of it. Put it
up for sale two hours after testing it first time. Simply didn`t work in my “system”. You win some you loose some, and
that`s okay.
For example: for me i tell you sr-009. So again your ears are better to choose

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #23,565 of 25,660
-007 mkII's sound shouty around 900hz and 1300hz. Enlarging the diameter of metal springs reduce that peak and brings the response there closer to 007mkI's response.
-007's have very dark sound signature, the vocals are significantly recessed compared to, say, Susvara. 007 boosts very high overtones, recesses the mid tones and low treble. Some people think 007's have very accurate mids & low treble. Well, either, they are high on copium or they have a very weird ear canal acoustic impedance which makes mids boosted.
-007's have more midbass presence than mids. Talking from memory, blu-tack mod actually boosts the bass below the resonance frequency of the diaphragm which is around 70hz. Blocking the bass reflex port also kills the sub bass boost around 50hz. Yes, blu-tack mode makes the sub bass tighter because it extends better but it also reduces the 50-70hz energy which makes 007s rumble less.

009's are bass light, bright, thin. No.
X9000's are the only Stax headphones with decent tuning in my opinion. I'd recommend you @Therkild to try Hifiman Shangri La Jr or Jade II if you want neutral-like sound. Then they'll have a weird 1500hz recession and a 13khz peak But these are small errors compared to extremely recessed mids of 007 or extremely recessed bass of 009's.
Agree with your assessment on 007 Mk 1. Agree 009 are normally too thin and somewhat unnatural sounding BUT I still like them somehow. I don't normally like bright / thin sounding gear but for some reason (which I can't fully explain or understand) I really do like 009. The midrange still manages to be really excellent IMO. That and the OG DIY T2 manages to 100% correct the 009's tonal problems. ONLY that amp, very specifically (it also seems to work wonders fleshing out the he90). Whether that be by amp voicing sleight-of-hand or pure magic, I care not :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back