The Stax Thread III
Mar 9, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #23,403 of 25,541
Mar 9, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #23,404 of 25,541
how big (and heavy) do you want the box to be.
I was confused by Soren's one-box MT at first, because I assumed two boxes are always better than one.

My limited understanding of the KGGR PSU is that if you use that PSU (as many e-stat builders do, including Soren), one box is all you need.

Happy to be corrected :)

Mar 9, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #23,407 of 25,541
25 lbs with the transformer box? not sure how that is possible. the felista megatron was 70+ lbs.

the problem with kgsshv and some of the other designs is that the parts are obsolete. So you need to find someone that has real parts in stock.
or you need to find someone that upgraded and has an older unit for sale.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #23,410 of 25,541
the felista had a much heavier chassis. and a tube rectifier power supply. and the extra power transformers to go with all of that. And a tube regulated 300v supply and the transformers that go with that. so its has to be heavier. 30 lbs does seem reasonable.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #23,411 of 25,541
Hi folks,
I seem to have found a general/recent Stax thread here. My very simple question is can the vintage SRD6 energizer (plugged into an amplifier of course) power any of the modern Stax headphones(L300)? It is the 6 pin unit but it does power my 5 pin SR34 electret headset I've already discovered. I also have the SR5's. Thanks in advance!

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #23,412 of 25,541
I haven’t seen an SRD6 in a Loooong time. The SRD7 has outputs for both low bias & high (PRO bias). That would set you up.

If you think you might end needing one PM me, I should have a couple (you only need one).

Enjoy the quest.

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #23,413 of 25,541
I haven’t seen an SRD6 in a Loooong time. The SRD7 has outputs for both low bias & high (PRO bias). That would set you up.

If you think you might end needing one PM me, I should have a couple (you only need one).

Enjoy the quest.
Right. It just has the one 6 pin output and the earspeaker/loudspeaker switch. I also have the SRD4 energizer, which is 5 pin and doesn't need to be plugged in. The SRD7 looks like 6 pins also. It powers some of the new models? Thanks!

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #23,414 of 25,541
The older normal bias 6-pin ones run on 230V bias, and the new pro bias 5-pin ones are on 580V. You could run 580V on 230 but you won't be getting max sound quality out of them. Obviously the plug doesn't let you run 230V phones on 580, and there's a very good reason for that.

I'd just hunt down a used pro bias amp, maybe replace the caps if it's very old. That should work fine.

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #23,415 of 25,541
Yeah! You guys are fortunate in the US to have an AD who is so focused on customer service and experience. Not so in Singapore it appears. Perhaps, if there is another flagship in due course, I should also order from HeadAmp. :)

As an update, I am still waiting to see my X9K which has been away since beginning December for the driver imbalance issues. The SG authorised distributors Project Perfection (the Dita owners) had updated, after I had the retailer complain about the lack of responses, by saying they had then checked with Stax, and plans were for it to have the drivers replaced and tested and sent back in early March. One does wonder if Project Perfection and/or Stax even took any steps until the repeated chasing by the retailer came to a head. Now that early March has come around, Project Perfection has been ghosting the retailer! Grrr!

Poor poor customer experience from Project Perfection in Singapore! 😡

Caveat emptor to anyone looking to buying Stax in Singapore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back