The Stax Thread III
Feb 20, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #23,296 of 25,560
Ransom question for the audience: what is the ideal relative humidity to store electrostatic headphones at? I recently put together a cabinet for my headphones and I was thinking about adding humidity control inside the cabinet to keep the humidity for storage optimal.
I would think in the 30-50% range would be good.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #23,298 of 25,560
I've kept mine (with the stax cover) in constant +- 80% humidity for about 6 years nonstop. No issues so far.
80% humidity is way to high in my opinion and what I know about such equipment. Too high chance that mold builds up at these levels if they are not used for some time and aired out. Max 70-75% I would say, I keep them at even lower levels.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #23,299 of 25,560
80% humidity is way to high in my opinion and what I know about such equipment. Too high chance that mold builds up at these levels if they are not used for some time and aired out. Max 70-75% I would say, I keep them at even lower levels.
There's no way around it when you live near the equator. Also, people seem to get way too worked up about it, without actually ever having lived in such a humid area. I own several electrostatic headphones, from various brands, most of which I own for over 8 years. Maybe I'm just lucky, who knows...

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #23,300 of 25,560
The RR1 and HiveX have an issue with use above about 65% so my plan was to target 40-50% in my cabinet and see how that fared.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #23,302 of 25,560
That’s strange. The RR1 is one of the headphones that I’ve been using.
This was included in the RR1 box when I bought them.
3B5F440F-FA8E-4883-A42A-F8FD3985BDA2.jpeg
I believe somewhere in the paperwork for the headphones it mentions a number. I know that for me in that 60% plus range I’ll start getting effects from moisture inside the ear cups.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #23,303 of 25,560
There have also been a few instances I have seen over the years of people having issues with their amps and headphones in high humidity regions.
One in particular was a BHSE that stopped functioning and need to go back to Headamp for work... I believe it was 18+ months later that the individual that sent it in finally got his amp back, with a brand new main board and other internals due the corrosion that built up inside the amp. They basically had to rebuild the amp due to the damage from the humidity. see this area of the BHSE thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition.439657/page-266#post-9816489

So yeah, @nepherte, I think you are getting lucky, IMO, YMMV and all that.... :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #23,304 of 25,560
Finally joined the club with an SR-007MK2. So far I'm very well pleased, although I wasn't expecting them to be so bass heavy.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #23,305 of 25,560
There have also been a few instances I have seen over the years of people having issues with their amps and headphones in high humidity regions.
One in particular was a BHSE that stopped functioning and need to go back to Headamp for work... I believe it was 18+ months later that the individual that sent it in finally got his amp back, with a brand new main board and other internals due the corrosion that built up inside the amp. They basically had to rebuild the amp due to the damage from the humidity. see this area of the BHSE thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition.439657/page-266#post-9816489

So yeah, @nepherte, I think you are getting lucky, IMO, YMMV and all that.... :)
It's really hard to believe - feels like there must have been some egregious exposure to the amp, beyond just high humidity, that wasn't reported (maybe the owner was even unaware).

My 009S that failed came into the same home environment as every other electrostat I've had (several) with no issue, so I think it's more about the specific units that fail than the environment they're in. I even had a couple summers where the AC failed and gave me a couple weeks of very high indoor heat & humidity - think I put the 009's in the box but they were unphased. I used to be a lot more paranoid about this too.

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #23,306 of 25,560
Finally joined the club with an SR-007MK2. So far I'm very well pleased, although I wasn't expecting them to be so bass heavy.
I'm new to the Stax 007 Mk 2's myself. I am also very pleasantly surprised by how rich the bass is in mine. I bought mine used, and they have the "blue tack mod", which is supposed to greatly enhance the bass performance. Do yours also have this mod?

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #23,307 of 25,560
It's really hard to believe - feels like there must have been some egregious exposure to the amp, beyond just high humidity, that wasn't reported (maybe the owner was even unaware).

My 009S that failed came into the same home environment as every other electrostat I've had (several) with no issue, so I think it's more about the specific units that fail than the environment they're in. I even had a couple summers where the AC failed and gave me a couple weeks of very high indoor heat & humidity - think I put the 009's in the box but they were unphased. I used to be a lot more paranoid about this too.
Just ask @chinsettawong.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #23,308 of 25,560
One in particular was a BHSE that stopped functioning and need to go back to Headamp for work...
Odd, cause the BHSE is also an amp that I've been using for over 6+ years. (In case you're wondering, humidity was around 88% last night.)

I'm not disagreeing with moisture and humidity possibly damaging your equipment. I'm saying that these stories tend to lead a life of their own. I'll be sure to report back should one of mine fail and humidity is established to be the cause of it.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #23,309 of 25,560
I'm new to the Stax 007 Mk 2's myself. I am also very pleasantly surprised by how rich the bass is in mine. I bought mine used, and they have the "blue tack mod", which is supposed to greatly enhance the bass performance. Do yours also have this mod?
No, my pair are brand new and un-modded. I won't buy e-stats used unless it's from somebody I know has taken immaculate care of them, and I don't see a need to change/improve on their bass response.
I'm using a Mjolnir Audio SRM-006t for an amp and an Audio GD D27 as a source. Other than a Carbon I don't see another upgrade for a long, long time. Everything I throw at the SR007 is just right.

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #23,310 of 25,560
Odd, cause the BHSE is also an amp that I've been using for over 6+ years. (In case you're wondering, humidity was around 88% last night.)

I'm not disagreeing with moisture and humidity possibly damaging your equipment. I'm saying that these stories tend to lead a life of their own. I'll be sure to report back should one of mine fail and humidity is established to be the cause of it.
88% is pain in the ass. Remember me my Sicily in summer. Really hard to sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back