The Stax Thread III
Oct 20, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #22,966 of 25,523
Oct 20, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #22,967 of 25,523
Thanks for your views. How did you think the Carbon do with the CRBN? :)

Haven't directly compared, just from what I know of and understand, I think it's potentially good pairing, especially if looking in that price range. I've done thorough direct comparison of the BHSE/Aeras/T2, had the Woo Wes a good while right before that, and have owned/heard a lot of amps over the years. But no direct comparison with the CRBN/Carbon.

Any further thoughts on the Carbon CC vs the Aeras with both the X9000 and CRBN?

It sounds like the Aeras keeps a lot of the T2 performance.

Thanks.

Not much due to what I mentioned above, but the only other thing I think worth mentioning is that like the T2, the Aeras has really excellent tonal synergy with most stats, which is a rarity with electrostatic amps imo because of how drastically varied all of the stats out there are. It pairs really well with both of those headphones, as well as with others that are drastically different such as the 009, L300 etc.

And actually, not to contradict my prior statement, as again I think the CRBN is just harder to drive, but it's probably going to be equally as important to ensure you have good synergy for the x9000 given how varied people's perspectives on the x9000's tonality/presentation seems to be (compared to the CRBN in which there's more straightforward consensus). I would check the x9000 thread for feedback/impressions with the Carbon and it as well.

As far as the T2/Aeras topic, the T2 is quite a bit more spacious and more resolving, and takes the bass into overdrive performance wise.. but the Aeras comes close tonality wise, while still being really excellent in all the other technical categories.

Lastly, I just don't think you're going to go wrong either way lol.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #22,968 of 25,523
I'm restocking my electrostatic stash after abandoning them all back in 2010.

For running X9000s and Audeze CRBNs, what are the absolute best options that are actually available?

The Carbon CC is at the top of my list. I love the Kerry T2 but it is not readily available that I'm aware of and the $14K price is bonkers, The BHSE excited me back in 2010 but after being around them for 15 years, the mystique has somewhat worn off (I know they are fantastic and have been improved considerably through the years). I love Woo but don't really feel that they are at the top of the Stax game (I could be wrong). I have the skills and machining resources to build something but ack the time so that's not an option unless it literally arrived as a complete bill of goods including finished chassis.

Am I missing anything? Possibly something from Kevin Gilmore (I'm not sure if he is building anything these days).

And if anyone is getting rid of something special, let me know.

Thanks!

KG GG?

Some builders out there, Soren(Søren) Blix in Denmark f.ex.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1666330836581.jpg
    FB_IMG_1666330836581.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #22,969 of 25,523
Am I missing anything? Possibly something from Kevin Gilmore (I'm not sure if he is building anything these days).
Popular wisdom says DIY T2, Carbon CC, Grounded Grid, BHSE are the reference, and they are way above standard Stax amps IMHO. The BHSE is neutral, smooth and musical, but not any more my preferred amp. I like the Carbon CC more. But since I tend to prefer tubes, I'd shoot for a DIY GG, if not a T2.

Currently I use a DIY tube amp from an obscure small EU company that develops designs for other companies, an old acquaintance. It's their first e-stat design (on my request), a ground-up prototype still in course of evolution, doesn't share any circuit with any of the current Stax designs, which is risky, but interesting nonetheless.
Not yet commercial, but it will be 5-6K eur depending on options - not cheap.
Mine is still missing some further potential improvements, but it's already end-game level for me. Not as technically perfect at max volume as the KG designs, pretty much DIY (p2p wiring, garage level assembly etc.), it likely won't survive any Stax mafia scrutiny (well, what does), and childhood issues might come up, but boy they are musical. Like cost-no-object level musical. Elevated my headphones to a new level. I can't even listen to my speakers any more (okay, upgrades coming) - which I used to prefer over my 007 Mk1 and 009. If and when they become commercial, I will share the link. They are huge (45x45x30 cm), somewhat inconvenient with the dual mono design and maybe a bit expensive for that garage-level internal look - which will probably improve when productized -, but the sound... goosebumps.

20221021_170311.JPG

Possibly there are other interesting amps in development, but I don't think good sound comes cheap to Stax headphones.
Erik Konka has relatively cheap (~1.6-2K eur) and good sounding tube amps, if power requirements are not extreme.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #22,970 of 25,523
Audiovalve unfortunately experienced the passing of their owner and inventor of their amps a few months ago.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #22,971 of 25,523
Audiovalve unfortunately experienced the passing of their owner and inventor of their amps a few months ago. Seen a few sold soon after that here in Germany.
Very sad to hear that. I was never really interested in their electrostatic amps, but the RKV was an important part of the fiber of early head-fi. An RKV Mk II was my first tube amp, and I still have fond memories of those days and some listening sessions with it. Well known for its epic pairings to AKG K340 and K1000. But also made the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 sound so lush and beautiful! Tubes are still magic to me now, but they were REALLY magic back than!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #22,974 of 25,523
Popular wisdom says DIY T2, Carbon CC, Grounded Grid, BHSE are the reference, and they are way above standard Stax amps IMHO. The BHSE is neutral, smooth and musical, but not any more my preferred amp. I like the Carbon CC more. But since I tend to prefer tubes, I'd shoot for a DIY GG, if not a T2.

Currently I use a DIY tube amp from an obscure small EU company that develops designs for other companies, an old acquaintance. It's their first e-stat design (on my request), a ground-up prototype still in course of evolution, doesn't share any circuit with any of the current Stax designs, which is risky, but interesting nonetheless.
Mine is still missing some further potential improvements, but it's already end-game level for me. Not as technically perfect at max volume as the KG designs, pretty much DIY (p2p wiring, garage level assembly etc.), it likely won't survive any Stax mafia scrutiny (well, what does), and childhood issues might come up, but boy they are musical. Like cost-no-object level musical. Elevated my headphones to a new level. I can't even listen to my speakers any more (okay, upgrades coming) - which I used to prefer over my 007 Mk1 and 009. If and when they become commercial, I will share the link. They are huge (45x45x30 cm), somewhat inconvenient with the dual mono design and maybe a bit expensive for that garage-level internal look - which will probably improve when productized -, but the sound... goosebumps.

20221021_170311.JPG

Possibly there are other interesting amps in development, but I don't think good sound comes cheap to Stax headphones.
Erik Konka has relatively cheap (~1.6-2K eur) and good sounding tube amps, if power requirements are not extreme.
Great looking project!

I think the KGGG is the most interesting to me but availability is a question. The Carbon CC is the safest bet and the Kerry T2 is the ultimate.

Oct 21, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #22,975 of 25,523
Great looking project!

I think the KGGG is the most interesting to me but availability is a question. The Carbon CC is the safest bet and the Kerry T2 is the ultimate.
PM'd.

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #22,976 of 25,523

20221021_170311.JPG

Erik Konka has relatively cheap (~1.6-2K eur) tand good sounding tube amps, if power requirements are not extreme.
This amp has great synergy with X9K ,i use NOS Siemens tubes ,it’s by far the most musical stax amp

Attachments

• 14F1D3E3-6E13-499B-AED1-A665890C7B03.jpeg
    14F1D3E3-6E13-499B-AED1-A665890C7B03.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #22,977 of 25,523
What’s “this amp”??

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #22,978 of 25,523
What’s “this amp”??

His amp in the picture, which is the same amp as mine, in a different enclosure (veneered plywood), with somewhat improved circuit, but slightly different parts (I have better capacitors, he has better tubes). The amp is not commercial yet, so not really helpful to know "there is this insanely good sounding new amp" until one can actually buy it, and until more people can review it. :)

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #22,979 of 25,523
Hi everyone,
I have quite a small head, so even in the smallest setting, my Lambda Pro is still a bit too large for me. At the moment, I put a small towel on my head to solve that :) Can anyone recommend an aftermarket headband padding or something of that sort that works well with Stax? I live in Germany, so it should be available to order from Europe. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #22,980 of 25,523
Hey everyone,
Can someone help me determine what brand are these 6CG7 tubes that were found in an SR-007tII?
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg