The Stax Thread III
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #22,217 of 25,623
It’s 2022 and people still refer to their toys as an investment.
I suppose with a moniker like tumpux I shouldn't expect much but I wonder if you are aware of just how snarky your statement is?
Firstly, I'm not "people".
Secondly, what does the year have to do with anything? Has the human race evolved any in the last 100 years??

Let me count the ways in which my Stax are in fact an investment, and a very good one at that.
I'm not sure what part of Planet Entitlement you come from, but I had to work hard to afford my "toys".
They bring me pleasure and relaxation every time I power them up. They are an investment in my ongoing mental health.
They educate me and exercise parts of my brain that reward me for it. I look after them because of this, because I value what they offer me.

So yes, I will absolutely continue to view my Stax as an investment and I won't have some supercilious X'er attempt to denigrate that in any way, shape or form.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #22,218 of 25,623
I suppose with a moniker like tumpux I shouldn't expect much but I wonder if you are aware of just how snarky your statement is?
Firstly, I'm not "people".
Secondly, what does the year have to do with anything? Has the human race evolved any in the last 100 years??

Let me count the ways in which my Stax are in fact an investment, and a very good one at that.
I'm not sure what part of Planet Entitlement you come from, but I had to work hard to afford my "toys".
They bring me pleasure and relaxation every time I power them up. They are an investment in my ongoing mental health.
They educate me and exercise parts of my brain that reward me for it. I look after them because of this, because I value what they offer me.

So yes, I will absolutely continue to view my Stax as an investment and I won't have some supercilious X'er attempt to denigrate that in any way, shape or form.
I agree with this post...but can't something so wonderful be BOTH a hard-earned investment as well as a much-to-be-played-with toy?

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #22,219 of 25,623
I agree with this post...but can't something so wonderful be BOTH a hard-earned investment as well as a much-to-be-played-with toy?
Absolutely it can! What I took exception to was the inference that my referring to gear as an investment was somehow out of touch with current reality.
It totally smacks of an instant gratification mindset - easy come, easy go. Nothing lasts, nothing is of value. Nothing is worth actually breaking a sweat for.

Apologies if I've come on a bit strong, but perhaps this has touched a nerve.

Apr 27, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #22,220 of 25,623
Maybe for some "people" an investment can't be nothing else than something you spend money to earn more money without work, because they do nothing else. Funny thing is, that they call it work.

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #22,222 of 25,623
Stax measurements are exceedingly difficult and I would be hesitant to trust any. The seal is paramount, and not only is a seal hard to get on a measurement rig, there is also no way of knowing how well that will translate into a seal on your ears. Having said that, they're still better than nothing.

Regarding storage, the main thing is to keep them away from direct sunlight. They have dust covers and dust should rarely be an issue unless the drivers have been tampered with in some way. And if dust does get in, it's generally a sign that they were. They're also pretty resistant to humidity and temperature. However, it never hurts to be extra safe.

Mine are either in their original box, in a closed off drawer in a bookcase, or on my desk, where whatever I use the most generally stays.

[Edit: for stuff like Nectar headphones that doesn't have dust covers, I'd probably take a few extra steps. Discharging them into your hand after use is not a bad idea as electrostats will attract dust particles like those old ionic air filters did. Also, storing them in a closed off drawer couldn't hurt. But I have a large German Shepherd so dust and dog hair everywhere is more or less the norm.]

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #22,223 of 25,623
I store mine under a heavy microfiber bags that I hade made specifically for my headphones. It’s long enough that the opening rests on the surface so it effectively seals them off from dust. Been good enough for the L700, 009s, RR1 and will be good enough for my x9000 when they arrive.

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #22,224 of 25,623
Interesting... so the Nectar Hive sounds a little bit like the old SR-5 and SR-X?
I have heard an SR-5 that was in suboptimal condition and have never heard the X, so I’m kinda hesitant to compare the Hive to either. My memory of the SR-5 was that it did not have the shimmer and sparkle of the Lambdas but I think the Hive is objectively better. I don’t feel confident in a comparison though.

And speaking of storage, I cut the handles off of these things and put them over dual-headphone stands with some desiccant bags underneath. It fits over two Stax perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMTMKJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #22,225 of 25,623
I know I’m horribly late to this whole estat game but I recently took the leap and the 009S fed by Chord TT2 DAC to a LTA MZ3 (to add some tube preamp flavor) into an (unmodded) 727A in direct mode is just awesome. Made my open back planars redundant for speed and clarity. A Mjolnir KGSSHV is soon to be in transit.

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #22,226 of 25,623
It’s 2022 and people still refer to their toys as an investment.
1651197687218.png

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #22,227 of 25,623
What's wrong with referring our favorite “gadgets„ as a TOY ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy

I associate only positive thoughts with them :slight_smile:and NO, with one singular exception, none of my “TOYS” was ever an “Investment" with a positive FINANCIAL profit,
But countless hours of pure musical pleasure and enjoyment… :)

Urs
(Sorry, yes I made this “notorious investment” in an X-9000 without thinking twice)

For some "BOYS" it may be different indeed.....
https://www.amazon.de/Toys-Boys-Patrice-Farameh/dp/9076886326

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #22,228 of 25,623
I mean, quality products are basically safe investments, right? Don't buy cheap crap that ends up in yard sales. Most gear worth buying retains most of its value, assuming it doesn't become outdated on the software side. If it becomes 'vintage' or a collector item, even better. But realistically, I expect a ~25% loss from anything I buy and re-sell later, which is simply the cost required to actually hear and test any given item. =p

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #22,229 of 25,623
CT007,

Your argument of „Quality vs El Cheapo gear“ is indeed convincing and I agree full heartedly !

From a 25 % “Hearing & Testing Fee”, I can only dream , however: My “losses” are usually much higher.
OK, I usually keep such “Toys” !! :wink: for a few months or even longer, hence it’s more than just a “temporary testing phase”

Regards

Urs

Apr 29, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #22,230 of 25,623
Perhaps I should clarify: I regard any amount spent on gear as an investment. Which technically it is.
I do not expect this amount to be recouped with profit at any stage.
Unless it's particularly rare or in demand, the best one can usually hope to achieve when offloading is a reasonable "loss", which technically selling for less than one paid, is.

But how does one put a value on the pleasure gained by using that gear whilst one owns it?
I am pretty sure none of us is into this hobby to make a financial gain!
Utility value is very tough to quantify.

In the sense that an investment in gear brings happiness to the user, an investment it surely is.
Just not of the monetary type.

The fact that the poster only equated "investment" with financial gain or loss is what I found remarkable.
This hobby should not be all about money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back