The Stax Thread III
Apr 25, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #22,201 of 25,684
What was it that you liked and disliked about them? Sound like they may sound more traditionally stat like than say the 007? I have a pair on order, just had to try it given the really attractive price.
im working on writing a review, will post in the next week or so :)

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #22,202 of 25,684
Apr 26, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #22,203 of 25,684
To be clear, I never had any problems with my Hive, dust or otherwise, and Sajeev is a great guy. But yeah, the fact that they didn’t have dust covers and I live in a smoggy dusty city worried me. The Nectars were much more mid centric, less air and shimmer, but they didn’t have the Kaldas’ sub bass. That’s why I think of them as the estat 6XX.

I’d say the L300, the Kaldas and the Hive are near equals technically - one has air and shimmer and the extra detail that that brings, the next has sub bass and warmth and the third had ‘sweet’ mids but rolled off on the bottom and the top. Pick your flavor.
Thanks.

It's weird to hear that the Nectars are rolled off on the bottom though, since the charts show it extending straight down to the lowest frequencies (https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/nectar-hive/).

It's one of the things that tempts me about getting them versus my current L700.

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #22,204 of 25,684
Thanks.

It's weird to hear that the Nectars are rolled off on the bottom though, since the charts show it extending straight down to the lowest frequencies (https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/nectar-hive/).

It's one of the things that tempts me about getting them versus my current L700.
I am happy to be wrong here, but to my ears, clearly the Kaldas has the sub-bass rumble reminiscent of the LCD-2Cs and the Nectar didn't have that rumble and didn't have the slam that others do. So my best translation between the chart and my ears is that the sound may have been there, but it wasn't dynamic or punchy. I don't think anyone would say that the Hive had great rumble or slam, and it didn't quite punch like the 007s or ES-1a. To be fair, it punched harder than the Lambdas and had a warmer overall tone - but it didn't have the treble extension and shimmer up top, and at least compared to the Kaldas, I didn't feel a lot of bass weight.

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #22,205 of 25,684
Thanks.

I think crinacle is somehow able to get perfect seal on his measurement rig which I cannot reproduce on my end. His measurement of the Shangri-La Jr also showed basically perfect extension, but when I measured my unit on my EARS rig, it showed a roll-off below 70 Hz. It also audibly rolled off to my ears. So perhaps crinacle's measurements are more of an "ideal state" which might not hold up in practice.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #22,206 of 25,684
What are your guys' strategies for estat storage? When I had my L300, I kept it in a plastic grocery bag.

Apr 27, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #22,207 of 25,684
What are your guys' strategies for estat storage? When I had my L300, I kept it in a plastic grocery bag.
Don’t you know the STAX product range? The CPC-1 has looong been on the market though :LOL: I have and use 10 or so of them…

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #22,209 of 25,684
Some say for long term storage the original STAX box is best, like what my 007 and 009 came in.

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #22,211 of 25,684
I just mean daily storage or whatever. Whenever you swap to other headphones for a while or whatever. I guess you can have dust cleaned out, if it builds up too much or something?

Apr 27, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #22,212 of 25,684
I just mean daily storage or whatever. Whenever you swap to other headphones for a while or whatever. I guess you can have dust cleaned out, if it builds up too much or something?
STAX CPC-1 plus a (STAX HPS-2) stand is the answer - as already mentioned…😉

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #22,213 of 25,684
STAX CPC-1 plus a (STAX HPS-2) stand is the answer - as already mentioned…😉
these questions just coming back again and again
we should have it hard code on the stax board lol
Thus, should use dusk cover

Apr 27, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #22,215 of 25,684
To be clear, I never had any problems with my Hive, dust or otherwise, and Sajeev is a great guy. But yeah, the fact that they didn’t have dust covers and I live in a smoggy dusty city worried me. The Nectars were much more mid centric, less air and shimmer, but they didn’t have the Kaldas’ sub bass. That’s why I think of them as the estat 6XX.

I’d say the L300, the Kaldas and the Hive are near equals technically - one has air and shimmer and the extra detail that that brings, the next has sub bass and warmth and the third had ‘sweet’ mids but rolled off on the bottom and the top. Pick your flavor.
Interesting... so the Nectar Hive sounds a little bit like the old SR-5 and SR-X?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back