The Stax Thread III
May 25, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #20,311 of 25,504
obviously two have been sold since last night but there is still a normal bias at an incredible price!
I paid mine ten times cheaper!
has the seller lost his mind?
sorry ... going directly through ebay i only got one ad in uk and going through hifishark i had access to a multitude of ads. but they all went crazy! the asking price for the pro bias holds delirium!!!!

May 25, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #20,312 of 25,504
Yeah, I'm certain its the 009? Is it an early model? They were notorious for having imbalance issues.
No it's a late one, but it's been shipped internationally, and I think they're sensitive to that no?

I too think it's the 009, but I'm trying to do due diligence...

May 25, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #20,313 of 25,504
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I usually just sit back and read what others say without my input but I read I need to implement some of my own thoughts to unlock full privilege's but since I came here to learn more about Stax, thought this would be the perfect thread to get my comments in.

I've started reading and researching about these headphones for about four months now but haven't been able to pull the trigger on any of the deals I've seen yet, almost did until the stock market got struck... I originally was going to buy new but learned how much of a better deal used will be.

I haven't read too much of the older generations besides the 407 and 507 are really good. What would you guys suggest? I've been looking at L300 Limited, L700, and I haven't seen many 407s or 507s out for sale?

I also read how huge of an impact the energizer has on the quantity and quality but are also are better with some pair than others. From on paper, I prefer the 717 / 727 energizer the most but also read a lot how people love the T1 but believe if I remember correctly it has less detail?

What are your recommendation pairs for Stax, I tried to go to Audio46 in New York but they didn't have any for sampling in person and I do not know anyone who has a pair I can try.

I guess TLDR, never did one.
I'm New
Asking for Recommended Stax (Preferably Used)
Asking for Recommended Energizer (Preferably Used)
Where can I listen to Stax on the East Coast USA?

Please correct anything I've said or done wrong so I can learn for future post and knowledge
Thank You

May 25, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #20,314 of 25,504
507 is extremely shouty and harsh sounding headphone with small soundstage and headstage. 407 is similar, less shouty but technically less impressive too.
L700 is interesting, good midrange texture, good detail and soundstage... I like it, Is it worth though? In that price range there's ES-1A that I use and I like it way way way more than the L700 I used to have.
L300 limited? I don't know.

Amps: to my ears 717 sounds better than 727. 727 sounds really dull and boring.

May 25, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #20,315 of 25,504
507 is extremely shouty and harsh sounding headphone with small soundstage and headstage. 407 is similar, less shouty but technically less impressive too.
L700 is interesting, good midrange texture, good detail and soundstage... I like it, Is it worth though? In that price range there's ES-1A that I use and I like it way way way more than the L700 I used to have.

Thank you for your help and opinion about nearly everything I mentioned, I'll look into the ES-1A you've mentioned. With the help of some price tracking websites and auction locations, I'll keep my eyes out.

May 25, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #20,316 of 25,504
obviously two have been sold since last night but there is still a normal bias at an incredible price!
I paid mine ten times cheaper!
has the seller lost his mind?
I just rechecked and I still see 3 Sigma’s listed one from Great Britain. And yes the prices are at to high. I would think a Pro in great shape with new pads should run $1500 or less and a normal bias same condition should run $1000 or less

May 25, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #20,318 of 25,504
One of the factors in bass performance is how the stators apply push pull forces to diaphragm. Less perforated area -> stronger push pull, largely perforated area -> weak push pull. For example, 009's stators look quite advanced in order to apply different forces of push pull in different areas of the diaphragm to control resonances. As you noticed, 007 has a large outer ring at the edge of its stators with no perforated area. That area applies good amount of push pull to help the diaphragm to deliver maximum bass detail & texture. As far as I know, overdamped drivers offer better texture but sound less "dynamic". Underdamped drivers offer better macrodetail(009), they sound more dynamic but they tend to get out of control in high frequencies and bass may sound a bit weird. Regarding the diaphragm, If the diaphragm is too thin, the air surrounding it would acoustically damp it too much and as a result the bass tonality may get off, decay can be too fast etc. Imaging *might* get better with a thinner diaphragm though. 007 uses a thin diaphragm to offer best imaging in its class and in order to minimize the compromises on bass texture and impact of that might occur due to using such thin diaphragm, stators provide relatively extreme amount of push-pull force and drivers are heavily acoustically damped. 007 is a bass & imaging headphone. 009 trades off control in higher frequencies and authoritative bass to better detail and faster decay.

I'm not different than you though, I am a hobbyist too. I just like to make my own hobbyist research, I may be wrong. So keep searching for answers!

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #20,319 of 25,504
I think it's because of the seal , 404LE has leather pads, 007 too. Not sure about the Sigma but it has a big, dampened chamber so that might help a lot to build up bass.
Also, I tried the ur-Lambda, the first version with normal bias and dampened earcups and I listened in utter disbelief.
I've listened to Erica de Casier's - Sensational album and after the first few seconds I was like - no, cannot be, this is way too good.
Absolutely incredible tonal balance considering it's age, okay the highs are a bit hot and brash but I've only tried it with an SRM-313 and Tempotec Sonata HD USB dongle playing Qobuz through Roon but still, nothing high-end.
Most incredible was the bass, yes the bass weight - it was good, as it should be. More than in my 404's, even after reglueing the panels. The Lambda NB seems to create more soundstage depth rather than width but that's probably because of the dampening and of course the midrange is a bit cloudy when compared to newer models but still - WOW.

I 've also got an SR-303 to go with the 313 but really I don't know what the problem is with Stax, all glue is completely gone, panels laying loose in the earcups. Also the cable of the 303 is much smaller than on 404's and a nightmare to work with, it's coiling and tangling all the time. I will try to iron it through a thick piece of cloth and low temperature to see if it helps.

The Lambda NB doesn't have the glue issue at all but I had to cut the units off anyways as someone made a nasty dent in one of the protective grilles. Also noticed the panel had a small dark spot on the outside so I need to keep an eye on this if it's not arcing further.

I'm starting to think I'd rather have the Lambda NR than 404's :D or maybe try 404's with dampening...
Also played a bit with the 001's but they are at the edge of being a total writeoff, the amp works but the cable is gone (broken in 2 places) and the frame of the 001's is gone, glued and snapped off again, very weak design.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #20,320 of 25,504
i am really impressed with the bass on the SR-404LE, Sigma NB, and SR-007mk1 - wonder why it's notably better on these models? especially the sigma, since it shares a driver with the original SR-L

After trying the round, rectangle, and boxy, I was surprised that the boxy sigma provided me for the first time a music listening experience where i thought of nothing but the music.

I feel relaxed, my ear not being squished. It's light. You would never think so. Truly like speaker listening, though maybe not the ultimate best speakers.

NB technically not the best, but just a peaceful experience.

When I have a Fostex driver , I'm always thinking about the bass not being powerful enough, or the treble being bothersome. And spending years trying to extract subbass of dt48/480 and how I can improve them. EQ;ing constantly between tracks, pad swapping , foams, etc. Pure madness.

I wish Stax will do a remake of these to honor the genius creator. XD It looks weird as hell too, I just like looking at them...

May 26, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #20,321 of 25,504

I wouldn't call the 407s shouty. To me the sound is well distributed across the frequency range--a nice coherence. Of course 65-y-o ears might contribute to the lack of overbearing treble. The 300s with aftermarket pads and blu-tack mod, tho not lacking in bass don't integrate it well w/the rest of the spectrum. It's the Lambda Nova Sig that does everything right for me, tho maybe a mid-hall that front row perspective of the other two.

May 26, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #20,322 of 25,504
I wish Stax will do a remake of these to honor the genius creator. XD It looks weird as hell too, I just like looking at them...
Stax hasn't but I got mine from ES Labs, who can use any pre-404 driver and put them into a Sigma housing for you. I agree with your take - they're not the most transparent or incisive but they are a pleasant listening experience, at least mine are. They're still unmistakably Staxen, but also very different from any other model (in my experience).

May 26, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #20,323 of 25,504
Stax hasn't but I got mine from ES Labs, who can use any pre-404 driver and put them into a Sigma housing for you. I agree with your take - they're not the most transparent or incisive but they are a pleasant listening experience, at least mine are. They're still unmistakably Staxen, but also very different from any other model (in my experience).

If I am not hallucinating, there is an option for L700 drivers too. :xf_eek:

That is incredible.

I remember reading posts about ppl with the sigmas contemplating such a mod.

Thanks for the tip, i know where to go if mine dies. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back