The Stax Thread III
May 19, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #20,282 of 25,535
i've got the SR-L NB, SR-L Sig (x2), SR-404LE, Sigma NB, and SR-007mk1 - not sure which ones i'll keep yet!
Yeah sell one of the SR-L and you don't need the SR-404 LE sell it to me that too many ear speaker anyway

May 19, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #20,283 of 25,535
i appreciate both! the tradeoff is worth it in the sense that you get a very different delivery and it's a pretty unique experience among stax cans; would definitely recommend trying one out

agreed - i don't think sigmas are all-rounders, but for particularly atmospheric or wide chamber music they blew me away. the dulled transients are quite noticeable though; it makes some instruments (like piano) sound a little less natural compared to the precision of usual estats

i've got the SR-L NB, SR-L Sig (x2), SR-404LE, Sigma NB, and SR-007mk1 - not sure which ones i'll keep yet!
Use one of SR-L Sig and use them to upgrade the Sigma to Pro

May 19, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #20,284 of 25,535
Or rent out the 404LE, I'd pay $50 to listen to it for a week.

I'm serious but with the electrostatic : crappy shipping ratio being what it is, I'd probably not risk it.

May 20, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #20,286 of 25,535
My Stax L700MKII and SRM-353Xbk arrived yesterday. I was wondering what I should expect when it comes to sound changes when this set is broken in. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

I find it lacks some detail and the soundstage is narrow.
I used to own the 404 but that wasn't new when I bought it.

I'm listening to a Rega planar 8 turntable with the aptheta cartridge through the Rega aria phonostage. All of the components are brand new and it all needs breaking in of course, so I don't know what's causing what.

May 20, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #20,287 of 25,535
Stax makes their headphones go through a burn in process before they ship them. (for 24 hours as far as I remember).

404LE sounds definitely more detailed than L700, I do not know about 404. I wouldn't be surprised if 404 sounds more detailed than L700 too. L700 offers better mid microdetail than most of lambdas though. That's the selling point of L700.

May 20, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #20,288 of 25,535
I love how STAXs just release a new product without anyone knowing about it. What 🤔

STAX SRM-500T​

01.jpg

May 21, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #20,289 of 25,535
From memory, I would be extremely surprised if SR-404 resolved better than L700. The issue is that the L700 Mk2... just isn't that great IMO. The lack of stage, the graininess, the kinda hollow mids in comparison to the Mk1... I just don't like it. However I think the differences are mostly due to fit, since when I put the Mk2 headband on the Mk1, it kinda sounded like the Mk2. I'll need to do more comparisons and test the Mk2 earcups on the modded Mk1 headband when I have the time.

I would experiment with using Socas yokes on the Mk2 to change the fit and see how that affects the sound. It's cheap enough to try with little risk.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #20,291 of 25,535
From memory, I would be extremely surprised if SR-404 resolved better than L700. The issue is that the L700 Mk2... just isn't that great IMO. The lack of stage, the graininess, the kinda hollow mids in comparison to the Mk1... I just don't like it. However I think the differences are mostly due to fit, since when I put the Mk2 headband on the Mk1, it kinda sounded like the Mk2. I'll need to do more comparisons and test the Mk2 earcups on the modded Mk1 headband when I have the time.

I would experiment with using Socas yokes on the Mk2 to change the fit and see how that affects the sound. It's cheap enough to try with little risk.

I'll probably try the yokes. First I'll just let my whole system burn in. Thanks for your reply!

May 22, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #20,292 of 25,535

Or if you have a big head and/or a 3D printer - you can try the yokes I made. I posted pictures above. I'd be happy to share the STL. I got mine printed out of vapor polished Nylon by a company in the US.

Compared to the Socas yokes - mine add front to back rotation and greatly reduce the clamp force. The L700's are now my most comfortable headphone, and no squeaks. I compared them to my Koss last week - and the Stax are now more comfortable. That said - if you have a small head the reduction in clamp might not be a good thing.

May 23, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #20,293 of 25,535
I just bought a pair of SR-009. When plugged into my T1 (recent serviced by Stax) one side is silent.

Before sending them back, my dealer has asked me to check the bias voltage of the T1. A local electronics engineer is going to help me do this without killing myself. :skull:

I have no clue about electronics. Is it sufficient just to put a multimeter across the bias output and earth? Or it life more complicated than that?

TIA

May 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #20,295 of 25,535
Or if you have a big head and/or a 3D printer - you can try the yokes I made. I posted pictures above. I'd be happy to share the STL. I got mine printed out of vapor polished Nylon by a company in the US.

Compared to the Socas yokes - mine add front to back rotation and greatly reduce the clamp force. The L700's are now my most comfortable headphone, and no squeaks. I compared them to my Koss last week - and the Stax are now more comfortable. That said - if you have a small head the reduction in clamp might not be a good thing.

I find the camping force to be okay as it is. If it were reduced then it would definitely not sit well on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back