The Stax Thread III
Oct 2, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #19,126 of 25,550
You're welcome.
Also, I spent almost 3yrs with Stax and just felt the need for a change, like I always do as with most things in life.
Would you say the Susvara is the best sounding headphone you ever heard or among the top?

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #19,127 of 25,550
Would you say the Susvara is the best sounding headphone you ever heard or among the top?
All 3 headphones we've mentioned above are among some of best headphones I've ever heard, but there are plenty of other headphones that give/gave me just as much pleasure listening to, regardless of their cost.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #19,128 of 25,550
All 3 headphones we've mentioned above are among some of best headphones I've ever heard, but there are plenty of other headphones that give/gave me just as much pleasure listening to, regardless of their cost.
Nice 👍

Oct 4, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #19,129 of 25,550
How does the Susvara compares to the Abyss 1266 Phi TC?
I'm curious as I've listen to the Abyss 1266 Phi TC before and can conclude it better than the $4000 LCD4.
But I still prefer the speed and clarity of my Stax.

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #19,130 of 25,550
I am trying to understand the specifications of Stax amplifiers at high output levels.
A typical example is the SRM-007t2:
Frequency response: DC-100 kHz / +0, -1.5 dB
Rated input level: 200 mV / 100 V Outputs
Maximum output voltage: 340 V r.m.s. / 1 KHz

So, the frequency response is stated for the rated output level of 100 V. That is clear.
But the maximum output voltag is only stated at 1 kHz.
Does this mean that the frequency response above 100 V output could be all over the place?
And that the maximum output voltage is unspecified for frequencies above or below 1 kHz?

For the SRM-D10:
Frequency response: 20 Hz – 40 kHz (+0dB,-3dB)
Rated input level: 230 mV (100V output)
Maximum output voltage: 200 V r.m.s / 100 Hz-10 kHz.

Does it mean that I should not be surprised by a massive drop in the frequency response below 100 Hz and above 10 kHz when the D10 is outputting more than 100 V?

These specificiations seem to translate into the following:
Stax amplifiers meet hifi standards up to 100 V (which generates around 100 dB SPL with typical Stax headphones).
Higher levels are possible, but the performance is (essentially) not specified.

Would this be a correct interpretation of the specifications published by Stax?

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #19,131 of 25,550
I am trying to understand the specifications of Stax amplifiers at high output levels.

So, the frequency response is stated for the rated output level of 100 V. That is clear.
Does this mean that the frequency response above 100 V output could be all over the place?
And that the maximum output voltage is unspecified for frequencies above or below 1 kHz?

For the SRM-D10:

Does it mean that I should not be surprised by a massive drop in the frequency response below 100 Hz and above 10 kHz when the D10 is outputting more than 100 V?

Stax amplifiers meet hifi standards up to 100 V (which generates around 100 dB SPL with typical Stax headphones).

Well it's not 1khrz it's 100 K Hrz, so 100,000 but that does seem kinda odd... also honestly buy your self a stax amp form Mjolnir Audio... quality is outstanding and sound quality is exceptional. Price wise find a model that suit's what your looking for and @spritzer will likely help guide your purchase based on what you need and have budget for

Alsoooooooooooooooo L700 MK2 is in for review!

WVJspwl.jpg

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #19,132 of 25,550

For the SRM-D10:

I think what you're asking is "does the frequency response potentially change at high volumes?" The answer is yes, though it's not as bad as your post implies. While the frequency response is given at 100 V output, that doesn't mean it's going to look like crap at 105 V.

Having said that, according to others in the industry, because the amp enters a current-limited mode instead of a voltage-limited mode at high frequencies, the actual maximum output will in fact drop. You will see the frequency response drop at higher frequencies at high volumes.

I think I remember reading that this happens around 180 V at 20 kHz for the SRM-353x. Not sure if it's any different for the SRM-007tII. The SRM-D10 would be limited to around 150 V at 20 kHz. Drop down to 10 kHz and both can reach their maximum voltage.

Unfortunately these numbers aren't published anywhere, so I'm just relying on what people like Kevin Gilmore have said.

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #19,135 of 25,550
Oct 8, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #19,136 of 25,550
Question from a broke STAX lover who likes to crank up the volume.

I've got the L300 and the SRM-252S, I'm super happy with the L300... I just love them but on any busy track or with deep bass I get distortion starting at medium volume... I can't get past 1-2 o'clock, past 3 it's unlistenable due to crazy amounts of distortion specially on industrial or anything with deep beats.

It is being fed from a Topping D50s in line out mode (2V).

I EQ the L300 +1-4dB on average in the bass and mid bass region (frequencies between 10 and 150). I tried lowering the gain in certain frequencies to see if that would get rid of the distortion but I basically have to bring it almost all the way down to be able to crank up the volume without any distortion.

Is this an amp limitation? What options do I have?
  1. Will replacing the wall wart for another one at 12V 0.7A or 12V 1A fix the issue? I read somewhere in the STAX threads that the included wall wart (12V 0.5A) doesn't deliver enough power to the SRM-252S, that changing it for a 12V 0.7A (1A or anything higher) improves the voltage swings (and decreases the volume distortion at high volume). If replacing the wall wart to what extend will I be able to increase the volume without distortion? Right now it's 2 o'clock where the distortion starts to appear, a new wall wart will take me to 3, maybe 4 if so?
  2. Will getting a SRM-353X fix the issue? There's a local one up for grabs for 600USD, and the guy will throw in a Kaldas RR1. Don't know the reason why is he letting it go, but I wouldn't mind another set of cans and two amps.
  3. I also have the option to get a D50 locally for about 600USD.
Any other recommendations within the same price range new or used? I just want to be able to crank up the volume...

Also I have some electronic skills, so with proper documentation I would be able to mod the SRM-252S if there's any mod to get more power out of it.

One last question, is there any chance of damage to the L300 if I listen to them at high volume? With EQ I tend to listen to 2-3 o'clock as I'm just increasing bad and mid bass and lowering gain, so the volume effectively goes down overall and I need to crank the volume to 2-3 o'clock on my 252S to get be able to achieve "high" volume levels, which isn't nowhere near deafening when EQed and the gain is lowered 7-9dB.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #19,137 of 25,550
I remember this was the case with my SRM252 and L300. You can't crank the volume up past 1-2 clock. Even around 12' it starts distorting badly.
You can't squeeze out more power from 252S much through modding and moreover, that amp has bigger problems than just lack of power.

Stay away from D50 amp, 353X is great, if you want to aim to get more power check head-case.org for DIY amps. (I don't think L300 would benefit from a lot of power though)

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #19,138 of 25,550
I remember this was the case with my SRM252 and L300. You can't crank the volume up past 1-2 clock. Even around 12' it starts distorting badly.
You can't squeeze out more power from 252S much through modding and moreover, that amp has bigger problems than just lack of power.

Stay away from D50 amp, 353X is great, if you want to aim to get more power check head-case.org for DIY amps. (I don't think L300 would benefit from a lot of power though)

Thanks for the reply, I am happy with the L300 sound by EQing and giving it a slight bump in the bass/mid bass region, I am just quite unhappy with the volume levels I can achieve with it when paired to the 252S.

3 to 3:30 it's the sweet spot that would make me happy but I have to stick to 12-1 for now.

Would the 353X be able to deliver that? I find it quite a good deal getting a 353X and a Kaldas RR1 for 600 bucks in near mint condition locally. My 252S would probably find a home bedside and the 353X take it's place at my home office.

Another option is a Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 directly from Mjolnir, these go for around 700 USD.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #19,140 of 25,550
Hi STAX heads!! Im getting/buying Lamda SR and it has and "SRM-11 tube amp" but i cant find any info on internet about them amp. Anyone knows this amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back