The Stax Thread III
Sep 23, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #19,096 of 25,433
Yes. Beats Solo. The Transients are so fast, I can’t even make out what’s I am hearing.

In all seriousness, I am listening to my Vinyl and speakers more often and I wanna upgrade my phono, so need to free some cash.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #19,098 of 25,433
those do not look very happy - what might be the reason therefore?
solo3-pdpv2-p2-splitblock.jpg.medium.2x.jpg

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #19,101 of 25,433
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #19,104 of 25,433
Has anyone heard of these electrostats?
http://www.soltanusacoustics.com/reviews/
I'm wary of any new e-stats because of how hard they seem to be to get right, but competition for Stax is good.
I like the "If Audeze made e-stats" aesthetic, but why not use a 5-pin Stax cable instead of dual 3-pin? The Stax plug is already balanced if I'm not mistaken.
" A separate lever on each side for recordings with too much treble"
I'd rather a $1k+ headphone be tuned properly to not need this. I understand EQ but this feels like a really weird choice.
" with the biggest membrane surface used in headphones "
If I'm not mistaken, a larger diaphragm on an e-stat isn't better as it's harder to control modal vibrations over a bigger surface. Someone more well-versed feel free to educate me here.
Their Fortissimo amp doesn't have balanced inputs or a dual concentric volume knob. All of their headphones are e-stats, so why doesn't the amp reflect it?
I'd like to know how they sound but there's a lot of effort in advanced design and manufacturing but it lead to some confusing decisions.

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #19,105 of 25,433
I would be glad to read an independent review of this HPs..

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #19,107 of 25,433
Edit: about the brand existence, there actually are some publications and audio show presences dating back to 2015 or so (on the web page), so at least this appears to be a legitimate attempt rather than a scam (my bad if this is just me not knowing a famous player in the high end speaker market!)
Edit 2: @Jon L , thank you for the pic below, it is indeed a flat ribbon cable
Edit 3: the stereophile 2015 ssi show report posted on the publication page (http://www.soltanusacoustics.com/publications/#group_964-5) mentions about Zoltan Mikovity, based of serbia, who started in by refurbishing some old quad estat units. The headphones appear to use the same dual driver ( low+high frequency ) design as used for the estat loudspeaker presented at the show.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The website mentions about rigid copper wire mesh for the stator.

Maybe the product is well engineered and built but the following makes me a bit dubious (in no particular order):
- The claimed rigidity of a "rigid" copper wire mesh (even if segmented as it seems)
- The method used to ensure dust stays out of the capsule if the user truly can indeed replace the membrane himself
- The method used to tension the membrane (critical to control the free air resonance frequency and max displacement under load I think) if the user truly can indeed replace the membrane himself
- The mention itself about the user replacing the membrane easily: is this headphone or the step up transformer amp sold with prone to cause arcing? Or is it simply the same dreaded parasitic noise and imbalance issue of unsealed capsule?
- What seems like a large amount of acoustic damping used either sides of the driver (is that for acoustic purpose or just to make it look elegant or to hide the misery behind?)
- Along a similar line, the gorgeous pictures of the assembled product but absolutely nothing of the insides (is there something to hide?)
- No picture of cable but the plug would perhaps indicate a round cable without spacing between traces yet the capacitance (90pf) sounds very low
- The step up transfomer without any internal pics or details about how safe behavior is unsured (after all you are swinging hundreds of volts very nearby the skin...)
- The claim that the headphone are the heritage of other high quality speaker designs yet the brand itself seems like it just came out of the woods 3 days ago (makes it look like a cover-up attempt to hide a 1 man garage operation or worse yet a quick cash grab scheme based on vaporware)

I think there were a few more when I browsed through yesterday but probably sufficient to illustrate how skeptical I am at this early stage... Hopefully the manufacturer can step in and correct the above as, after all it’s nice to have an alternative to stax and especially coming at it from a fresh look without locking oneself into the same proved out designs (we don’t need a stax ersatz).

So, who is going to take one for the team :wink: ? On another site, I am sure some famous stat zealot is already planning to take this apart so maybe I do a google search next :).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #19,108 of 25,433
but why not use a 5-pin Stax cable instead of dual 3-pin? The Stax plug is already balanced if I'm not mistaken.
" A separate lever on each side for recordings with too much treble"

IMO, it is very odd to go with mini 3-pin XLR to 3-pin XLR cable ESPECIALLY since their electrostat amp and transformer driver come with Stax 5-pin connectors Anyway. This means one cannot plug in their 'stats into established 'stat amps to compare with Stax 'stat, for example.

Their electrostat amp also comes with speaker outputs as well as non-electrostat headphone outputs, which leads me to believe it's not a true 'stat amp but a speaker amp that uses transformers to generate 'stat output and transformer and/or resistors to generate non-stat headphone outputs, much like Audiovalve Solaris amp.

Euridiche.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #19,110 of 25,433
Since his local expert said it was so much better than Euphoria, you should definitely be as so dumb to give him your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back