The Stax Thread III
Oct 10, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #19,142 of 25,475
Yes it is the T1.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #19,144 of 25,475
My Vesperaudio earpads for the 507 should arrive soo.
I'm very excited and at the same time unsettled.
Because the experiences with these pads seem to be very limited.
Except for the member Armani, there is probably nobody here who has installed these pads.
Switching the pads back and forth is apparently not that easy. In the meantime I have also read that with the Lambda it should not be recommended to enlarge the space between the driver and ear. Can someone tell me more on the whole subject?

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #19,146 of 25,475
My Vesperaudio earpads for the 507 should arrive soo.
I'm very excited and at the same time unsettled.
Because the experiences with these pads seem to be very limited.
Except for the member Armani, there is probably nobody here who has installed these pads.
Switching the pads back and forth is apparently not that easy. In the meantime I have also read that with the Lambda it should not be recommended to enlarge the space between the driver and ear. Can someone tell me more on the whole subject?

driver-ear distance is something that you wouldn't like to mess with if you do not know what you are doing. For example, in case of increasing the distance between ear and driver, SR007 starts getting shoutier overall, especially around 1-1.5khz region, it starts getting terribly shouty. Also to my ears, bass becomes boomy and mids get textured so much that microdetail isn't apparent anymore. (That's why mk2.5 sucks so much) SR507's 8-10khz energy is a bit too much to my ears, increasing the distance between ear-driver can help. However, SR507 is shouty already, I don't know how mids would sound if you push that distance a bit farther.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #19,147 of 25,475
OK thanks.
the point is that the distance, due to the Vesperaudio pads, will inevitably increase. Well, just trying it out helps...

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #19,149 of 25,475
So I got a Stax SRM-727 energiser unit with steup-up 120v and direct control switch mod switch, which I think means the 'feedback mod'. It's for my L300 Limited Edition headphones. I was coming from a Stax SRM-1 MK2 energiser.

The basic differences I'm hearing are both bass and soundstage improved by around 20%... and thus far it seems that's it. Barely enough to justify the purchase. Listening to almost any music through this system is just not desirable, with the ENORMOUS emphasis on the top vs. low end; very sparkly & splashy analytical treble and bass that while accurate is just leaving a big gaping void in weight & amount. The other issue is dynamics. Drums do NOT move air as much as they should or cut through the mix with authority as they do with my dynamic headphones such as HD-600 with a good aftermarket cable and hefty amp behind it. Certainly they sound accurate and even lifelike, but they just lack in slam.

At the same time I love these headphones when it comes to non-rhythmic use such as for movies, TV and field recordings (sound art). That's where this system REALLY excels, realizing an almost 4-dimensional sound as if I'm using 5.1 channel surround sound system. HUGE soundstage with almost infinite rendering of layers and voices sound so real, also often having to "pause" it and look around to see if the sound was coming from inside my house! That's the hallmark of truly top-tier audio reproduction and very difficult to achieve in the hobby. But like a true contradiction, every time a song comes on with any drums (rock, pop, electronic) is when I shrivel in my chair and want it to be over ASAP. It seems to be that treble emphasis and huge soundstage with accurate but not powerful bass is the perfect pill for most movies / TV shows, but not by a longshot for almost any music genres.

While I'm definitely more impressed with this than my SRM-1 MK2 energiser, I get the feeling there's much more to be desired, it still not overtaking my mid-fi HD-600 dynamic headphone setup. Also note that I am feeding it with a top-tier chain including a Qutest DAC with Neotech NEI-2001 cable to a tube amp (tube buffer) which is in fact yielding a darker / more laid back sound than the sheer brightness one would get by connecting the energiser directly to their DAC. Also I am in the process of improving things to some extent with ferrite beads (specific type of clip-on ferrite chokes) on both sets of RCA cables, as well as on the Stax AC power cable. This has actually improved things quite a bit in terms of adding warmth / 'realism' and toning down the highs. I was actually impressed at what a difference it makes for the Stax AC power cable.

The 727 is great, but I consider it just as a 'stepping stone' until finding something better. I recall early in the year I was actually pretty impressed with the L300 L.E.'s (even more than with the Sennheiser 'Baby Orpheus' in most regards) on the Hifiman Jade II energiser. I did read some awful teardown reports of the internals, but nontheless I think it just may have performed better than this (further comparison would be needed). Just out of curiosity which other energisers would someone recommend for further improved dynamic slam and bass weight?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #19,150 of 25,475
So I got a Stax SRM-727 energiser unit with steup-up 120v and direct control switch mod switch, which I think means the 'feedback mod'. It's for my L300 Limited Edition headphones. I was coming from a Stax SRM-1 MK2 energiser.

The basic differences I'm hearing are both bass and soundstage improved by around 20%... and thus far it seems that's it. Barely enough to justify the purchase. Listening to almost any music through this system is just not desirable, with the ENORMOUS emphasis on the top vs. low end; very sparkly & splashy analytical treble and bass that while accurate is just leaving a big gaping void in weight & amount. The other issue is dynamics. Drums do NOT move air as much as they should or cut through the mix with authority as they do with my dynamic headphones such as HD-600 with a good aftermarket cable and hefty amp behind it. Certainly they sound accurate and even lifelike, but they just lack in slam.

At the same time I love these headphones when it comes to non-rhythmic use such as for movies, TV and field recordings (sound art). That's where this system REALLY excels, realizing an almost 4-dimensional sound as if I'm using 5.1 channel surround sound system. HUGE soundstage with almost infinite rendering of layers and voices sound so real, also often having to "pause" it and look around to see if the sound was coming from inside my house! That's the hallmark of truly top-tier audio reproduction and very difficult to achieve in the hobby. But like a true contradiction, every time a song comes on with any drums (rock, pop, electronic) is when I shrivel in my chair and want it to be over ASAP. It seems to be that treble emphasis and huge soundstage with accurate but not powerful bass is the perfect pill for most movies / TV shows, but not by a longshot for almost any music genres.

While I'm definitely more impressed with this than my SRM-1 MK2 energiser, I get the feeling there's much more to be desired, it still not overtaking my mid-fi HD-600 dynamic headphone setup. Also note that I am feeding it with a top-tier chain including a Qutest DAC with Neotech NEI-2001 cable to a tube amp (tube buffer) which is in fact yielding a darker / more laid back sound than the sheer brightness one would get by connecting the energiser directly to their DAC. Also I am in the process of improving things to some extent with ferrite beads (specific type of clip-on ferrite chokes) on both sets of RCA cables, as well as on the Stax AC power cable. This has actually improved things quite a bit in terms of adding warmth / 'realism' and toning down the highs. I was actually impressed at what a difference it makes for the Stax AC power cable.

The 727 is great, but I consider it just as a 'stepping stone' until finding something better. I recall early in the year I was actually pretty impressed with the L300 L.E.'s (even more than with the Sennheiser 'Baby Orpheus' in most regards) on the Hifiman Jade II energiser. I did read some awful teardown reports of the internals, but nontheless I think it just may have performed better than this (further comparison would be needed). Just out of curiosity which other energisers would someone recommend for further improved dynamic slam and bass weight?
Whoa...a cans of worms is about to open. Can't wait for the replies...

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #19,151 of 25,475

apply the CCS mod. 727's output stage of amplification is out of the feedback loop, CCS mod fixes that. Stock 727 sounds bloated, mushy and bass sounds boomy and colored but CCS mod fixes all these problems to a great extent.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #19,154 of 25,475
If parsing your input correctly, the direct control switch mod switch you reference is actually just simply the direct switch that avoids duplication of the volume unit.

As such, perhaps you've misinterpreted the literature. Or your seller may have misled you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back