The Stax Thread III
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #18,136 of 25,542
When people say SR-009 too clinical and too bright I thought it will be no soul withit and harsh .

But when I get this headphone with kgsshv carbon (birgir/mjolnir-audio) it is the the most musicality headphone .

to get the most of this headphone you need rca/xlr to brings warmth and color to the 009 or 007 because it is really natural and there is no any color.
you have the ability to color your headphone from scratch using your best cables or tube any thing you prefer .

When I say natural not the amps or cables brings natural ability to the stax it is the sound signature of the headphone it is the driver of stax being natural.

how I hear 009 a lot of details and best image you can get flexible sound stage a lot of air between instruments and most transparent headphone .
not harsh not too bright .

please don't say there is no bass to this headphone because I can get the amount of bass that what I like to enjoy .

did I forget to mention it is freaking speedy active dynamic headphone ?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #18,137 of 25,542
...Now I hear 009 a lot of details . . and best image . . you can get flexible sound stage . . a lot of air between instruments . . and most transparent headphone . . not harsh . . not too bright...
Cheers,
Thank your for your thoughts!
I think surely with minimal tube rolling I'll be able to enjoy the KGGG or BHSE with SR-009s and be happy for a long while.
If I become dissatisfied I'll commission a T2.
If I grow weary of that I'll find another hobby. Or, heaven forbid, go to a speaker setup.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #18,138 of 25,542
When people say SR-009 too clinical and too bright I thought it will be no soul withit and harsh .

But when I get this headphone with kgsshv carbon (birgir/mjolnir-audio) it is the the most musicality headphone .

to get the most of this headphone you need rca/xlr to brings warmth and color to the 009 or 007 because it is really natural and there is no any color.
you have the ability to color your headphone from scratch using your best cables or tube any thing you prefer .

When I say natural not the amps or cables brings natural ability to the stax it is the sound signature of the headphone it is the driver of stax being natural.

how I hear 009 a lot of details and best image you can get flexible sound stage a lot of air between instruments and most transparent headphone .
not harsh not too bright .

please don't say there is no bass to this headphone because I can get the amount of bass that what I like to enjoy .

did I forget to mention it is freaking speedy active dynamic headphone ?

Cheers,

Wait till you try the SR009S . :dt880smile: . Even more musical ! ( I have booth: 009 & 009S with the BHSE)

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #18,140 of 25,542
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #18,141 of 25,542
Is it June yet? :)

I tried to read a lot of posts, and a lot of your posts, but didn't see that you got back to specifically comparing the KGGG and BHSE. I've been researching for too long, and buying a few things this year to try. Been to a lot of headphone meets; it's time to settle in on some type of end-game system. But not a T-2, yet. I've been trying the MySphere headphones and like them a lot, currently trying to make them comfortable on my head for long listening sessions (got them on my head now, not plugged in, with a little strategic experimental padding).

One conclusion I've reached: after hearing the MySpheres I can't go back to dynamic/planer designs.
Another: While the Raal ribbons might be great after the Jot-R is released, I'd want a tube-based preamp in the chain, or tube buffer, necessitating another power cord, interconnect, some more vibration isolation... I'm just not into that; I've got enough entanglement as it is!

One day when I get caught up with everything else, in 2025, I'll hang some rods/dowels from the ceiling, using cotton or silk thread, and get rid of the broken but quite strategically re-purposed clothes rack.

I originally decided against the SR-009 system because I was afraid (based on the experience of others) they would end up being too clinical.

However, now I've come to these two (or more) conclusions and would be glad to hear people's advice:
1) With either the BHSE or the KGGG, surely I can do a very minimal amount of tube rolling to suit my listening tastes. I've been into high-end audio for 40 years; I like well-produced music and don't care if I miss out on the last 5% of bass extension. I do want to be "involved", at the small expense of detail if absolutely necessary - hence my love of tubes.
2) While an electrostatic setup will preclude using its amplifier for other duties, that can be an advantage (no temptation to have a pair or two of planers and a pair or two of dynamics laying around for mood swings!).
3) Lastly, the idea of a T-2 in the future is appealing, if only for something to look forward to later. If I start wondering if the 009s with one of the two aforementioned amps is "sufficient" or if I would have been happier with something else (Raal or MySphere), there is no wondering if one is fortunate to be able to just order a T-2 instead, correct?

Comments will be appreciated; is there much between the BHSE or KGGG; are there any advantages of one over the other? If I find a real good used sample of either, by a good builder, just buy it and enjoy? Surely I can do some tube rolling to suit, while still not "ruining" the sound?

Those plans ended up being scrapped because I couldn’t get everyone together in June and I ended up moving from
Japan in July :/

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #18,142 of 25,542
Those plans ended up being scrapped because I couldn’t get everyone together in June and I ended up moving from
Japan in July :/
I understand. One day (a decade or two back) I was minding my own business, two days later I was quitting my job and planning a move to England!
It seems the BHSE and KGGG are very similar, since Kevin designed both of them. Do you know what some of the minor differences are? I see you still have the KGGG, if you were starting from nothing and going to build one of the two, is that the one you'd stick with?

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #18,143 of 25,542
I understand. One day (a decade or two back) I was minding my own business, two days later I was quitting my job and planning a move to England!
It seems the BHSE and KGGG are very similar, since Kevin designed both of them. Do you know what some of the minor differences are? I see you still have the KGGG, if you were starting from nothing and going to build one of the two, is that the one you'd stick with?

I bought my KGGG from Soren so I cant comment on the efforts involved in building between the two. One the price front, it was much cheaper to have one built by him than to get a BHSE from HeadAmp. If I had to do it over again I would still stick with the KGGG build.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #18,144 of 25,542
I had a BHSE for more than 1Y, and now I'm enjoying a KGGG (Soren build).
me too if I had to choose again would stick with KGGG.
tube wise, I largely prefer the KGGG with the JJ 6CA7 over the SED =C= EL34 and the XF2, but this of course will depend on personal taste.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #18,145 of 25,542
...If I had to do it over again I would still stick with the KGGG build.
Thanks very much.

And dang, I sure wish I hadn't clicked, out of curiosity, here: FS: Topaz Transformer https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-new-topaz-91091-31-isolation-transformer.895398/

Or then here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/top...ansformers-for-affordably-clean-power.857448/

I have a dedicated power line coming from my circuit-breaker box directly to my IsoTek Sirius EVO3 (by directly, I mean no duplex receptacle in-between but the "cord" terminates at the IEC plug at the power conditioner). But I know I've still got some deficiencies with my AC setup.

PM Sent :rolling_eyes:

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #18,146 of 25,542
Any recommendations regarding suitable DAC for SR007A mk2 blutack mod & KGSSHV (mjölnir)?

I've been using ifi idsd bl label with a neutrik rca to xlr adapter. Still, I wonder whether getting budget friendly balanced dac would be significant difference in terms of sound quality overall. Thanks!

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #18,147 of 25,542
Any recommendations regarding suitable DAC for SR007A mk2 blutack mod & KGSSHV (mjölnir)?

I've been using ifi idsd bl label with a neutrik rca to xlr adapter. Still, I wonder whether getting budget friendly balanced dac would be significant difference in terms of sound quality overall. Thanks!

Denafrips Ares II is good as entry level DAC.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #18,148 of 25,542

Get topping D70 dual! akm dac work wonderfully with stax! But r2r is also very good ... stax are very revealing of source you will definitely hear a sizable difference, for me i preferred cheaper dac over expensive one haw

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #18,149 of 25,542
I bought mjolnir srd 7 and my short impression is this is very revealing device of connected amplifier. I tried with following amplifier:

1- icepower 1200as poweramp (1000$): bright treble with high resolution, super speedy and tight bass with super fast decay and little punch. transparent mid, and congested sound stage, very analytical sound unpleasant typical class D sound.
2- bladelius tyr 2/II (3500$): very extended smooth highs, high resolution. little thin sounding mid. bass is tight and bigger sounding than mid/high but also punchy with good quantity and very good details too. sweet sound overall. more open than above amp but still little congested sound stage.
3-denon 1600ne(1000$): rolled off treble, good details, hug sound stage, like literally 2 x times my 323s amplifier. not tightest bass and looser but very good quantity. super warm sound.

srd 7 is really transparent transformer and the only problem is congested sound stage, as only amp no.3 was able to pull out big sound stage. no.1 and no.2 amp was struggling to expand sound stage beyond headphone physical shape. imaging is excellent though. no.2 amp sound wonderful as the price tag would suggested only sound stage was little smaller than 323s size, and I love sound stage so I will keep looking ! Also driver control is miles over my 323s, as each sound is a pure reflection of the amp connected to.

Edit: resolved congested sound-stage problem by reversing plus/minus speaker cable since i had phase issues !

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #18,150 of 25,542

I use a NAD M51 to feed my SRM717 & SR007Mk2 modded. I've compared the NAD to my SP1000SS and the difference is clearly for the NAD. In fact, as said before, the SR007Mk2 is a very good revelator of the source level that feed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back