The Stax Thread III
May 5, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #17,611 of 25,561
Yep you'll hear source differences like never before with a great Stax chain like that. Potentially you may still crave more bass than even a great Stax setup will yield, which would be a sad state to be in, as you noted - there's perhaps no going back once you've experienced the Stax detail, speed, and clarity. And fortunately for me, it's plenty of bass. You may also be one of those who prefers the 007 over 009 - the former has more "bloom" to its bass, though I love how hard clean and fast the 009/009S bass hits, particularly with the Carbon. Give it some time, too - "brain burn in" is real.

And if crazy enough, you can always end up pursing a DIY T2 build, which is absolutely THE last word in sound quality and bass for Stax headphones :wink:

May 5, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #17,612 of 25,561
So you think the iDSD is the thing holding everything back if I understanding you correctly? Is a source really going to dramatically change bass extension? What about trying to put the iCAN into the chain?

so can u just take it step by step and tell us

ifi ican pro-- ifi iesl--- ifi idsd pro--- how did that set up compare to just idsd pro carbon, can you give more detail, did you loose bass in carbon and idsd pro

May 5, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #17,613 of 25,561
Yep you'll hear source differences like never before with a great Stax chain like that. Potentially you may still crave more bass than even a great Stax setup will yield, which would be a sad state to be in, as you noted - there's perhaps no going back once you've experienced the Stax detail, speed, and clarity. And fortunately for me, it's plenty of bass. You may also be one of those who prefers the 007 over 009 - the former has more "bloom" to its bass, though I love how hard clean and fast the 009/009S bass hits, particularly with the Carbon. Give it some time, too - "brain burn in" is real.

And if crazy enough, you can always end up pursing a DIY T2 build, which is absolutely THE last word in sound quality and bass for Stax headphones :wink:

i crave no more bass even in my simple setup chord hugo2 --- stax 007tii or gustard x20 -- stax 007tii, with my 007 mk2 at all, and I own audeze mx4 and hifiman 1000 se

I just adore the 007 mk2, it beats anything i ever heard period, i heard 009 and 007 m2 and immediately was blown by 007 mk2, 009 I did not like that much

i doubt its your source, as to me changing the source as previously stated just changed how i can run the amp at a lower volume dial but not that much in sound signature

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #17,614 of 25,561
Well here is where it gets rather tricky. I was able to use bass boost with the full ifi stack, but again that was over 2 months ago that I last heard that set up. I was of the impression the Carbon would take a bit of the brightness away while adding a little to the bass. I do feel some brightness has been taken away, just seems as though bass has been reduced or at best remained the same.

May 5, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #17,615 of 25,561
Well here is where it gets rather tricky. I was able to use bass boost with the full ifi stack, but again that was over 2 months ago that I last heard that set up. I was of the impression the Carbon would take a bit of the brightness away while adding a little to the bass. I do feel some brightness has been taken away, just seems as though bass has been reduced or at best remained the same.

if you have been using bass boost on ifi , I really think just get 007 mk2 and be done with it, you are spending too much just in hopes to get more bass out of 009, just get 007 mk2 and forget bout using any bass boost

i really doubt if you change your dac that you will get the bass you wish for, no way would that happen, as it did not ever happen to me with any planar setup, so I do not think it will happen with stax setups, I have good dacs and cheap ones, and the difference between those is not wow what a difference. If i listen to mojo compared to hugo2 in my stax setup I barely hear major differences in my stax setup at all, also this applies with gustard x20 dac. Yes there are differences, but not to the point of having an anaemic bass sound to a full satisfying bass sound

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #17,616 of 25,561
Also unfortunately the idea of pursuing the T2 while it would be beautiful I am just not willing to shell out that kind of money for something that may or may not be a guaranteed improvement in what I am looking form.

I did wonder about the 007 mk2 as a possible option, but it just leaves me wonder why everyone praises the use of the Carbon with the 009 and it seems to be somewhat lackluster for me. I mean it obviously sounds better then the iESL.

This is not a Mjolnir audio build by the way. It is however a build from a reputable builder here on hifi by Soren Brix. So that is why I am inclined to believe I am likely doing something wrong. Also I have a better power cord on the way but I cant imagine that is going to completely alter the sound.

Is it possible to put the ican into the chain or will this damage something. Im not sure if I should run idsd into carbon and then carbon into ican or run idsd into ican then ican into carbon. Either way Id rather not destroy anything.

Appreciate the help guys.

May 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #17,617 of 25,561
Also unfortunately the idea of pursuing the T2 while it would be beautiful I am just not willing to shell out that kind of money for something that may or may not be a guaranteed improvement in what I am looking form.

I did wonder about the 007 mk2 as a possible option, but it just leaves me wonder why everyone praises the use of the Carbon with the 009 and it seems to be somewhat lackluster for me. I mean it obviously sounds better then the iESL.

This is not a Mjolnir audio build by the way. It is however a build from a reputable builder here on hifi by Soren Brix. So that is why I am inclined to believe I am likely doing something wrong. Also I have a better power cord on the way but I cant imagine that is going to completely alter the sound.

Is it possible to put the ican into the chain or will this damage something. Im not sure if I should run idsd into carbon and then carbon into ican or run idsd into ican then ican into carbon. Either way Id rather not destroy anything.

Appreciate the help guys.

correct me , do u now have less bass with carbon, than ifi iesl and ican pro without using bass boost

owning audeze mx4 myself and used to planar bass, yes 007 mk2 does not have the same planar bass, but it has a dam good bass way more than jade2 or l300 LE, honestly I do not see why you would not just get 007 mk2, as it leaves you desire nothing

I never thought I would enjoy electronic music on stax 007 mk2, but man if you listen to infected mushroom on 007 mk2, you will not ask for more bass, 007 mk2 has it all. It literally works with every genre, never did I even think to add bass boost at all ( and yes there is still a basshead in me :) that got refined :) )

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #17,618 of 25,561
Thats how it feels, but I cant be sure as I have been listening solely to LCD-4's for 2 and a half months waiting for the Carbon to arrive. The 4's as all are well aware have never come close to being described as bass light. So perhaps this is playing somewhat into my brains interpretation of what I am hearing, but cant be sure.

May 5, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #17,620 of 25,561
C'mon man you guys are killing my heart haha. I literally just got this amp in that I was told was on par with the BHSE and at least compete with the T2 by others on this thread. I would love to get a T2 but from what I understand they are like minimum double Carbon price and sometimes more.

Heres a couple pics you guys can tell me what ya think.
20190503_151617[1130].jpg 20190504_170422[1127].jpg 20190505_190355[1128].jpg
Obviously the first is the inner workings. The second shows how this thing just dwarfs the ifi pro series. 3rd is one possible option to include ican. I have iDSD running to Carbon and then Carbon to iCAN. Not sure if that's the best way to set it up or the blow your gear up way haha.

May 5, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #17,622 of 25,561
May 5, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #17,623 of 25,561
I have been listening solely to LCD-4's for 2 and a half months waiting for the Carbon to arrive.

It seems like the LCD4 has brainwashed you into their sound signature. And once you got the carbon and used it with 009/Jr everything seemed dull and bass lite.

You might at the end just be a planar guy?

May 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #17,624 of 25,561
C'mon man you guys are killing my heart haha. I literally just got this amp in that I was told was on par with the BHSE and at least compete with the T2 by others on this thread. I would love to get a T2 but from what I understand they are like minimum double Carbon price and sometimes more.

Heres a couple pics you guys can tell me what ya think.

Obviously the first is the inner workings. The second shows how this thing just dwarfs the ifi pro series. 3rd is one possible option to include ican. I have iDSD running to Carbon and then Carbon to iCAN. Not sure if that's the best way to set it up or the blow your gear up way haha.
Dang, who was saying the Carbon can compete with T2? I love the Carbon and BHSE (they're at the same level), great amps, but there's no mistaking them for T2 level. Yeah it's pricey $$$$$. But for me, it wasn't diminishing returns.

Your Carbon build looks really nice (love its look), but I'm not a fan of the Alps RK27 pot. It's out of place compared to the quality of the rest of that circuit & build. Hell, I could hear the RK27 slightly holding back even an ancient Headamp Gilmore V2 vs. V2SE back in the day. A good stepper will improve the SQ (or even maybe a TKD pot), and you can hear it on a Stax setup like yours.

And again, give your brain some time to adjust. I think Stax will reward you.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #17,625 of 25,561
Well I will give some burn it time for sure, but can anyone maybe let me know if that pic of the back will work alright to keep my iCAN in the chain so I can use my planars also without having to switch back and forth or is that a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back