The Stax Thread III
May 5, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #17,626 of 25,430
Also please dont mistake what I am saying here. I absolutely love the Carbon build and it is obviously miles ahead of the iESL. I find it also so good that it made my LCD 4 and Ether 2 sound Dull and lifeless when I went back to test their sound compared to the the stats through the carbon. It was kind of weird actually. I was genuinely loving their sound in the most amazing way until I used the Carbon with the 009 and Jr. The life that is in the 009 and Jr's sound is incredible in every way except where bass is concerned. But I have always heard the stats had bass issues. Perhaps @protoss is right and I just spoiled myself with Audeze bass for way to long and just need to take some time away from it.

May 5, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #17,627 of 25,430
May 5, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #17,628 of 25,430
So I imagine you guys are saying that my beloved iDSD Pro isnt quite the way to go as far as the DAC is concerned? Any recommendations?

Practically all I say is cheek.

A DAC isn't going to morph your preferences.

You hear weak bass, I hear strong bass.

You love the IDSDSDDD, I hear you are deaf.

You may prefer planar bass. But enjoy stat transparency.

The way to both.

T2. T2. T2.

Still the unequivocal best.

You only live once.

Meh. Shrugs.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #17,629 of 25,430
So I imagine you guys are saying that my beloved iDSD Pro isnt quite the way to go as far as the DAC is concerned? Any recommendations?

Yggy 2 has somewhat fattier bass down there with more bass details than other DACs I've heard. It doesn't transcend a bass anemic headphone to a bass strong one, though.

May 5, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #17,630 of 25,430
I had the chance to demo a Carbon built by Soren and then I bought a Carbon by Mjolnir. My impression is that they do not sound the same even out of the same DAC and both using the 009.

The Soren build while it has strong and fast bass, treble was a little harsh and soundstage is narrow and intimate.

The Mjolnir build on the other hand had similar kind of bass but the treble is not harsh and soundstage is wider. So it is overall more musical.

As I understand it, when Spritzer worked with KG on the Carbon design, that is the version that is publicly released. Later iterations of his Carbon was never publicly released. This could have resulted in the difference in sound.

May 5, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #17,632 of 25,430
For those of you with a T2: where did you get it? What kind of money are we talking about when it comes to acquiring one of these?
I sold mine. But I brought you Kerry.

Your welcome.

May 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #17,633 of 25,430
Try EQ. The Carbon should have plenty of headroom for you to be able to boost the bass a bit (or lower everything else and raise the volume). Just don't go overboard. Improving the source isn't going to change the fundamental sound signature of the headphones unless you get a source that's very much not neutral. Getting a T2... well if the sort of money involved is pocket change, sure, why not, but it would be a lot easier to try EQ first.

May 5, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #17,635 of 25,430
You love the IDSDSDDD, I hear you are deaf.
Sooooo... What you are saying is you really do not like the ifi idsd pro?
Also I hear what you are saying about the T2 along with everyone else haha.
It is rather clear the T2 is the Bees bulletproof perfect god dam Knees.
I would be all in on that unit if money was no issue, but alas of the 3 units held in wide esteem I opted for the Carbon.
Is there a DAC that you or anyone else would recommend that is better then the idsd Pro.
And before you say anything mr. cheek haha-
I have considered the Hugo TT2 as many have suggested it is the 2nd best dac out there with dave being #1.
Plus down the road an Mscaler takes it to dave levels.

I saw a recommendation for the yggy which I have considered before. I am rather curious about Chord offerings as they get so much attention.

Also pretty sure an 007 mkII is in my future. I've heard some say they prefer the mkI.
How do you guys feel here I would have thought the mkII would be better then the mkI since its supposed to be the newer version?

May 5, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #17,636 of 25,430
Try EQ. The Carbon should have plenty of headroom for you to be able to boost the bass a bit (or lower everything else and raise the volume). Just don't go overboard. Improving the source isn't going to change the fundamental sound signature of the headphones unless you get a source that's very much not neutral. Getting a T2... well if the sort of money involved is pocket change, sure, why not, but it would be a lot easier to try EQ first.
Thank you for this. I will try some EQing and see what that does for me.

May 5, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #17,637 of 25,430
I would be all in on that unit if money was no issue, but alas of the 3 units held in wide esteem I opted for the Carbon.
Is there a DAC that you or anyone else would recommend that is better then the idsd Pro.
I have considered the Hugo TT2 as many have suggested it is the 2nd best dac out there with dave being #1.

I saw a recommendation for the yggy which I have considered before. I am rather curious about Chord offerings as they get so much attention.

Also pretty sure an 007 mkII is in my future. I've heard some say they prefer the mkI.
How do you guys feel here I would have thought the mkII would be better then the mkI since its supposed to be the newer version?

I think iFi is a gimmick. Like HiFiMan. Like Cavalli was and always will be.
And a bunch more. I do lack diplomacy.

Doesn't mean you are wrong. You are just deaf. Or I perceive you that way.

I think you'd love the Objective DAC. Clearly.

More serious, an obvious candidate is the Yggdrasil. However, I don't believe this is your solution. Nor would a T2 be.
Again, neither is going to morph your preferences.

I would consider one of the 007's per bloom. Always listen to Mulveling.

At the end of the day (as deaf as you may be) let your subjectivity guide you.

Evaluate and execute. Maybe you are not long for the stat-world.

It's a challenging endeavor to get the very best of all the worlds.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #17,639 of 25,430

Sell the 009 and get yourself 007mk2 late 2017 version, and be done with all this crap of buying and wasting money for nothing. I see one problem in your set up and it is so obvious its the 009 ( I am saying this because you seem to like Bass ). When I heard the 009 I immediately knew I would never fathom this sound at all, as I am used to planar bass and 009 is way way behind

It's like someone telling me go buy the HD800 and when I get home i hook it up to my gear and I say where is the audeze bass

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #17,640 of 25,430
It may be worthwhile mentioning that Bob Katz, the recording engineer, who owns a Mjolnir Carbon and Stax SR-007 Mk II headphones with port mod, actually preferred using a touch of bass boost and treble cut. One may disagree with his tastes but he does have a good pair of ears - that is how he earns his living, after all. I haven't heard the SR-009S but the consensus seems to be that tonally, it fits somewhere between the SR-007 MkII and SR-009.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back