May 1, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #17,585 of 25,535
Stax SR-007+ KG Carbon+ $1500 Dac = Gateway to heaven

May 1, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #17,587 of 25,535
i-WbzwRCF.jpg

2. One stick works for both cups, break stick in half:
i-QQ4SWxZ.jpg

3. Roll out a 1/2 stick to where it fits on inner channel like shown below:
i-Bn3KDsj.jpg

4. Break segment off that is little less than 2 ribs of the channel. Will need to have it a little longer than the rib walls so it can seal against them.
i-VnMfPj4.jpg

5. Roll the piece broken off so it will attach to both ends of the original thicker segment that was rolled out:
i-7qmzCnG.jpg

6. Press it down and flatten to where it's sticking just above the channel by about a millimeter or so, and push the overhanging ends flush against the surface of the two ribs to seal. Make sure to keep the two rear peg hole clear of the putty:
i-bNwLWQw.jpg

7. Alternate view:
i-L2gvvgr.jpg

8. Press on pads at the corners, then work front to rear to press a finger inside pad on the plastic pad plate and press it hard into the cup/grille to seal pads to the housing. Keep working around the inside perimeter until you have it seated as far as it will go, then flatten the oozed seam against the inside perimeter wall with a finger. Hard to get a picture of this, but basically if you can see the putty below your finger will go above it and under the pad and firmly press down towards the outside...just take your time and use care as you go around the perimeter, no need to rush.
i-pqfdKjF.jpg

9. Repeat for other side to complete.... then you're finished.
i-gZHHRS5.jpg
thanks so much a very interesting mod worth trying, and what did change in sound when you updated your mod to this

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #17,588 of 25,535
Hi all,

I'm in the process of completely rebuilding a Stax SRM1-MK2 pro. I've replaced all resistors and caps as well as a few of the diodes. However some parts are hard to find as some of you probably know.

I'm just a hobbyist and do not have all the knowledge but I tried finding alternatives for the 2SD755 bipolar transistors but I can't seem to find bipolars with the high Ft (350Mhz) of the originals. Would it make a big difference if I'd use replacements which have an Ft of say 200MHz? I Also would like to know if someone can recommend replacement for the RA-1Z diodes and the two Toshiba 1S1553 Zener diodes. I did find a source for the 2SC3148's and 2SA1156's.

I searched the net for a few weeks now so I'm not trying to take the easy way out but as there are so many different versions and revisions I thought it would help to post the specific parts...

Thanks in advance!!!

May 4, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #17,589 of 25,535
Hi,

I have a question guys.

I have L700 and SR507 using with SRM300 and idsd micro black.

Recently I am about to change my ring with the followings:

Swap L700 + SR507 + cash(+/-?) for SR007 mk2,
Upgrading from SRM300 to KGSHHV,
Sidegrade/downgrade or upgrade from idsd micro black to Denafrips Ares for using XLR output with the new amp.

I listened to SR007mk2 with KGSHHV carbon and quite like it. My question is whether I am on the right path. Thanks in advance!

May 4, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #17,590 of 25,535
Hi,

I have a question guys.

Sidegrade/downgrade or upgrade from idsd micro black to Denafrips Ares for using XLR output with the new amp.

I listened to SR007mk2 with KGSHHV carbon and quite like it. My question is whether I am on the right path. Thanks in advance!

I think you wont much better than that TBH. Ive been listening to the SR007mk1 and the KGSSHV for over a month now, its bloody excellent. None of my my other gear now, gets any ear time

May 4, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #17,592 of 25,535
Thanks. Have you ever combined sr007 with another amp before?
Yeah my old Srm252s, sounded way ok at low volumes but trouble came when its past 12, distortion city I tell ya. But I guess, we already know the 252s cant drive the hungry beast. Only did it cos it was the only Estat amp I had at the time while waiting for the KSSSHV to arrive

May 4, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #17,593 of 25,535
Hi,

I have a question guys.

Yes, that's a good path. The 007 and KGSShv (most variants) makes a very good pairing; much better than the older KGSS. It's just that the 007 with KGSShv Carbon is even better - and makes for one of the best setups you can put together short of a DIY T2 (with 007, 009). BTW, the KG amps like this don't care if you input a single-ended or balanced signal. It's the same sound quality either way - no penalty, which is certainly NOT the case with many other balanced amps. If your new KGSShv amp comes only with XLR inputs, you can use RCA female to XLR male adapters no problem (I use Cardas to satisfy my psychological need for fancy cables & connectors, but Neutrik work fine too). So choose your DAC based on sound quality and features, not single-ended vs. balanced.

I also have the L700 and like them, but for me they sound best with tubes. I didn't think the KGSShv was an optimal pairing for them. So moving for the 007 at the same time is a good idea.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #17,594 of 25,535
I have KGSSHV 500V with 007mk1 and a balanced DAC. It's my endgame. Been using it over a year now. Love it every time, every day. People say with high end equip, you need "good" recordings; not true at all with this setup. The 007mk1 sounds good with everything. YMMV though, it's tough to find a "perfect" 007mk1. I bought mine NOS.

Edit: Balanced DAC with XLR output (has double the power vs. RCA output)

Edit 2: I don't use the fabric dust covers in my 007mk1. YOLO, and if you take good care of it and are mindful of it, I don't think it'll cause any issues. I think the clarity is increased quite a bit without the fabric dust cover.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #17,595 of 25,535
I've had a nagging question at the back of my mind for a while now, hoping someone here can answer it. A lot of people here tend to think that KG amps are flat out better than Stax amps, citing specifically their higher power output. I listen to my L300LE/353X combo at a very low output level (knob below 8:00) and I'm wondering if I would actually reap any benefit from switching amps or if that money would be better spent elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back