The Stax Thread III
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #15,916 of 25,542
I fixed 2 semi-circular pieces of foam on top of my stand to keep the shape of the headbands.
Oh very nice, where did you pick up the foam?

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #15,920 of 25,542
Got in a Saunus open rack for the STAX rig and have it temporarily configured... think will end up putting the Oppo at top and move the Furman voltage regulator with the SRD-7 and RME ADI-2 DAC down three units...If I could find the mounting tabs for the TASCAM MH-8 amp then I could mount it below the OPPO, seem to have missplaced them and they just are not able to be found....arrrg.

i-zHPFB2G-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #15,921 of 25,542
what is the best Dac for 007mk2 black , Dual Sabre ES9038Pro or R2R to match it with carbon .

I didn't try R2R only sabre Dac and I like it .

I buy silver interconnect and power cable to be ready when I order carbon and 007 .

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #15,922 of 25,542
what is the best Dac for 007mk2 black , Dual Sabre ES9038Pro or R2R to match it with carbon .

I didn't try R2R only sabre Dac and I like it .

I buy silver interconnect and power cable to be ready when I order carbon and 007 .

I wouldn't use any Sabre. My vote goes to Chord. I've done a decent amount of DAC exploration (but definitely not a ton) and to me Chord sounds the most real and transparent by far. Chord DACs are like better, more convincing versions of traditional delta sigma DACs to my ears, so since you like those Sabre based DACs then you'll probably like Chord a lot. Not sure what your exact budget is though.

R2R is too smooth to me, treble gets held back too much (treble extension is even reduced) lowering perceived realism and transparency to me although a good one will do this without sacrificing detail so lots of people prefer it to reduce fatigue. But fatigue would never be an issue with the SR-007 I'd think, an R2R DAC would make it too dark and laid back in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #15,923 of 25,542
I like the yggy, bhse and 007. It has a nice balance. Haven't heard the A2 though.

@Rhamnetin you going to keep the Venus or swap for say the new Hugo tt2? M scaler looks like a nice upgrade option for later.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #15,925 of 25,542
I like the yggy, bhse and 007. It has a nice balance. Haven't heard the A2 though.

@Rhamnetin you going to keep the Venus or swap for say the new Hugo tt2? M scaler looks like a nice upgrade option for later.

Definitely getting a Hugo TT 2, and will eventually get the M Scaler. And that will be the last DAC I ever get hopefully!

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #15,926 of 25,542
I wouldn't use any Sabre. My vote goes to Chord. I've done a decent amount of DAC exploration (but definitely not a ton) and to me Chord sounds the most real and transparent by far. Chord DACs are like better, more convincing versions of traditional delta sigma DACs to my ears, so since you like those Sabre based DACs then you'll probably like Chord a lot. Not sure what your exact budget is though.

R2R is too smooth to me, treble gets held back too much (treble extension is even reduced) lowering perceived realism and transparency to me although a good one will do this without sacrificing detail so lots of people prefer it to reduce fatigue. But fatigue would never be an issue with the SR-007 I'd think, an R2R DAC would make it too dark and laid back in my opinion.

DAC is only a part of your chain, u need a good source too :D

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #15,927 of 25,542
DAC is only a part of your chain, u need a good source too :D

Great DACs including the higher end options from Chord make the source less important, but yeah since I'll soon be done with DACs and am already more or less done with headphone amps and headphones and analog interconnects, I'll have to venture into sources and also perhaps power related components. Have to try things before I make conclusions after all.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #15,928 of 25,542
Great DACs including the higher end options from Chord make the source less important, but yeah since I'll soon be done with DACs and am already more or less done with headphone amps and headphones and analog interconnects, I'll have to venture into sources and also perhaps power related components. Have to try things before I make conclusions after all.
Actually, the higher end your DAC is, the better it will scale if you had a better source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back