The Stax Thread III
Aug 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #15,946 of 25,541
tnks all for the comments, very appreciated.

just one last bit: where would you put GG in the list? would you say it's in the same league of BHSE, or somewhere in between BHSE and KGST ?

again: I'm interested in some specific parameters, not overall sound quality. i.e.fast, detailed sound with max resolution, warm mids, never harsh, never mudded bass.I never listen to high volume

many tnks again
mike

The Grounded Grid fits that description the most I think. Should have more and better bass than the BHSE and better sound stage, but this is based on word of mouth.

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #15,947 of 25,541
Some recent descriptions have put the GG and BHSE at mostly similar in sound signature. You could probably shift either a bit with tube choices. Grounded Grid has a servo which is convenient. There also is the DHT version of the GG which could be a novelty you are interested in, so long as your not into tube rolling and don't care about cost.

most people rank things roughly like this

T2, Circlotron

BHSE, GG, Carbon, Megatron

KGSSHV, KGST, SRX+

List is obviously incomplete

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #15,948 of 25,541
Some recent descriptions have put the GG and BHSE at mostly similar in sound signature. You could probably shift either a bit with tube choices. Grounded Grid has a servo which is convenient. There also is the DHT version of the GG which could be a novelty you are interested in, so long as your not into tube rolling and don't care about cost.

T2, Circlotron

KGSSHV, KGST, SRX+

Are there any builders out there for a DHT GG? I might be interested in throwing money that way in the future.

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #15,949 of 25,541
Not sure who would have boards. That is the main issue, you need a pair so you would have to fund a small run(normally 5) to get the pair you need, so probably ~180 to 200 for the board run.

But if you are willing to do that I would say contact your preferred builder.

Edit :: If it were me.. and I wanted to commission something very rare, something that maybe less than a handful exist it would be the KG sandwich.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #15,950 of 25,541

T2, Circlotron

KGSSHV, KGST, SRX+

Is there enough feedback on the feedback (reviews) of the Circlotron to warrant ranking it with the T2? I wasn’t sure if rarity or actually sonic performance was factoring into your rankings.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #15,951 of 25,541
Really only a comment by KG.

Doesn't really matter they have problems with exploding currently. The work is on going apparently.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #15,952 of 25,541
Ah ok. I wasn’t sure if KG’s comment was in reference to sound or difficulty to build. As you pointed out though, it doesn’t really matter as they are unicorn dust until the builds are sorted out.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #15,954 of 25,541
Friends,

Please can you let me know if all KGSS Amps, regardless of the builders, would have same/similar sound quality?

I am deciding an amp for my 007A Earspeaker. Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome

Regards

There are known variations of the KGSSHV based on power supply designs and probably other factors.

People comment on how the KGSSHV Carbon becomes more laid back when the output stage runs at lower power, e.g. 20mA and below. That's probably the opposite of what you want with the SR-007 though.

I would get a Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon personally since it's readily available so next to no wait time, and it is a phenomenal full power KGSSHV Carbon in a nice small package.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #15,955 of 25,541
Carbon + 007 MKI is like a very affordable of best Stax can do and only behind 009 + KG T2. Again, synergies is everything. I can recommend a Carbon with 007 MkI or GG/BHSE with 009 all day long :D. Except if you want KG T2, which I didn’t like too much with 007 MkI. Though it is so freaking wonderful with 009 and even more so with 009S

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #15,956 of 25,541
I think it's time to start messing around with analog interconnects more because of how revealing the SR-009 + KGSSHV Carbon are. As expected, the Kimber Kable Hero on this system sounds infinitely better than cheap Mediabridge interconnects... a bigger difference than, for example, going from a Chord Mojo to a Hugo 2 when using an Audeze LCD-4/LFF Code-6 + Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, and a bigger difference than going from a Schiit Lyr 3 to a Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar with the LCD-4 and Hugo 2 as the DAC.

So I'll just reiterate, don't cheap out on any critical components with a high end Stax system. I'm still using 14AWG power cords even (Pangea) and not so fancy power conditioning equipment (Furman M-8X2). I'll get to that eventually, not expecting significant changes there though so I will focus on more critical components first.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #15,957 of 25,541
In terms of power conditioning I’ve recently removed both my source (ARC CD9) and headamp (KGSE) from the conditioner with positive results. There is less ‘weight and substance’ but more high frequency detail and broader soundstage. And the conditioner ain’t cheap - around £3K

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #15,958 of 25,541
Hi all - I'm new to the site but has been lurking around for quite some time. Just never felt like posting anything.
I hope to get some help from some of you very knowledgeable about Stax and such.
I currently use a Stax 3030 system which I am very happy about.
Recently I have got a better financial situation and have decided to upgrade.
Already pulled the trigger on a pair of SR-009s (have not yet got it) and also want to upgrade the energizer to something better.
Reading the threads I get the impression that the after market energizers are the way to go, I am just a bit confused on how to approach this. Where are those put up for sale and what energizer is best recommended for the sr-009s?

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #15,959 of 25,541
In terms of power conditioning I’ve recently removed both my source (ARC CD9) and headamp (KGSE) from the conditioner with positive results. There is less ‘weight and substance’ but more high frequency detail and broader soundstage. And the conditioner ain’t cheap - around £3K

Always interesting to see expereiences like this, and they are not rare. I don't plan to dump a ton of money into power equipment, I will stick to affordable power conditioners and also try not using them. And I probably won't venture beyond Pangea 9awg power cords.

I am curious though; do you think you can get the best of both worlds by using the conditioner and silver interconnects?

Hi all - I'm new to the site but has been lurking around for quite some time. Just never felt like posting anything.
I hope to get some help from some of you very knowledgeable about Stax and such.
I currently use a Stax 3030 system which I am very happy about.
Recently I have got a better financial situation and have decided to upgrade.
Already pulled the trigger on a pair of SR-009s (have not yet got it) and also want to upgrade the energizer to something better.
Reading the threads I get the impression that the after market energizers are the way to go, I am just a bit confused on how to approach this. Where are those put up for sale and what energizer is best recommended for the sr-009s?

Not much love for energizers around these parts but spritzer makes one (mjolnir-audio.com).

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #15,960 of 25,541
Always interesting to see expereiences like this, and they are not rare. I don't plan to dump a ton of money into power equipment, I will stick to affordable power conditioners and also try not using them. And I probably won't venture beyond Pangea 9awg power cords.

I am curious though; do you think you can get the best of both worlds by using the conditioner and silver interconnects?

Not much love for energizers around these parts but spritzer makes one (mjolnir-audio.com).
I am sorry for using the wrong typology. I thought stax calls amplifiers for energizers, no? I am looking for aftermarket amplification but find it difficult on how to approach it. any comments is much appreciated. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back