The Stax Thread III
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #14,296 of 25,505
Back to Stax and it awesome performances. The trebles are so magically awesome, the soundstage is unreal ! How is this possible ? I don’t know but it is unreal. I want new headphones from Stax ! My T2 is set up for life....except spare tubes, which I can’t afford atm lol...
1205480E-242A-4E48-A87D-3F24DAE8C111.jpeg

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #14,297 of 25,505
On Saturday afternoon, facing into the room, on the left side: from left to right were the L500, the L300 Anniv., L700 w/ battery amp/DAC, and the T8000 amp (did not notice what was connected to it as it was in use the whole time I was there).

I'm not sure I understand what the big mystery is here. Next time, takes notes. :)

From another person's account at CanJam it was stated that people were free to pick up and move the earspeakers to different amps so it doesn't seem like there was a specific station assigned for each one. Also, the Lamba series all look nearly identical without overt markings indicating each model. I can see someone new to Stax not immediately knowing which one they were listening to.

I also just heard back from Jack at staxaudio (Woo Audio) that the L300 Limited will be coming with L300 earpads, not L500 or anything else. So from a physical standpoint it will be nearly identical to L300 except for the gold badge. Though he is insistent that the Limited will "perform at L700 levels". Coming from a dealer, take that as you will. He also confirmed that the end of February target is still on schedule for the earliest orders and some of the later orders will ship through March, so at least from staxaudio there shouldn't be a May delay or anything like that.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #14,300 of 25,505
Yes, and if you look at this, for me it looks like L500 Pads:

http://www.sangbe.com/article/236063.html

For me that are never L300 Pads.

That link also explicitly says that is a prototype version. And like I said before, there's no mention of L500 pads on any site even though I am fairly certain it used to be listed as such. But that seems to be gone now. Regardless of speculation and photos, Jack Wu is the official US distributor of Stax and literally has the L300L in hand as he did for CanJam. As of this morning I specifically asked him straight up if the L300L will come with L300 or L500 pads and he responded unambiguously it will come with L300 pads (and headband). Perhaps people ordering from other sites or regions might get something different. But if ordering from staxaudio you should absolutely go in knowing you will be getting L300 pads.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #14,301 of 25,505
I just got a telephone from Stax HQ. they are reapiring my 009 arc and pads.

FYI I asked a Stax repairman(I forgot his name sorry) about..
"What is the best source for Stax?"
His answer is "Luxman. Luxman SACDP or DAC, some model are so so but Luxman...they sound blacker background between notes."

Luxman(as source) is the way to go! http://www.luxman-global.com

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #14,302 of 25,505
I just got a telephone from Stax HQ. they are reapiring my 009 arc and pads.

FYI I asked a Stax repairman(I forgot his name sorry) about..
"What is the best source for Stax?"
His answer is "Luxman. Luxman SACDP or DAC, some model are so so but Luxman...they sound blacker background between notes."

Luxman(as source) is the way to go! http://www.luxman-global.com

Hm... Should I take your word for it? I have always enjoyed Luxman aesthetics :D

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #14,303 of 25,505
Hm... Should I take your word for it? I have always enjoyed Luxman aesthetics :D

:beyersmile: I believe Stax guy dont lie. costomers good sound/satisfaction increase his repair job. LOL
I am useing Luxman DA-200 DAC w/ shortest(important point for least jitter) USB cable + SRM-007t + SR-007A = sounds "almost" perfect! for classical music. "Pomp and Circumstance Op.39" sound heavenly now:beerchug::L3000: if you properly setuped, Luxman sounds like riding Mercedez/Lexus with very nice blond Minesota Lady....:D

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #14,305 of 25,505
Jack Wu is the official US distributor of Stax and literally has the L300L in hand as he did for CanJam.

Is this true? Is he now the official US distributor of Stax?

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #14,306 of 25,505
Is this true? Is he now the official US distributor of Stax?

They have been one of several STAX distributors in the USA for years. However, the old staxusa.com (Yama) site is finally gone and the staxaudio.com site says it is maintained by Woo Audio, but copyright STAX LTD, so it seems they now have a closer partnership.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #14,307 of 25,505
This is what I am using with upgraded usb module
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s...bu-for-dop-usb-i2s-optical-audio-decoder.html
It is surprisingly good
So you have $1.4k for DAC, 3.8k for headphones and god knows how much (8k -10k+) for the DIY T2, haha. I wanted to reinforce that I think that's actually a wise allocation of funds. With the 007 and 009 Stax headphones, amps make SO much difference that I think they easily defeat the usual diminishing returns rule, as long as you're upgrading to the "right" amp at each step. E.g. Stax 007 / 717 / 727 => KGSShv / KGST => BHSE / Carbon / GroundedGrid => DIY T2. Whereas DACs all sound a LOT more similar to each other, and I know it's possible to find very reasonably priced ones that sound very good. I'm really enjoying my ECP Audio DAC, paid just $600 (used), and I don't miss the Yggdrasil one bit; honestly the sweeter Wolfson 8741 based DAC (delta-sigma, horror of horrors!) with CineMag outputs synergizes better here (009 + BHSE). It does great with the Utopia + Max Balanced too, but of course they're no 009. I'm liking my headphone setup more than ever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back