The Stax Thread III
Feb 19, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #14,266 of 25,567
I have had the pleasure of owning the last 2 lambda series both normal and LE/ Airbow. I would go for it. The 404LE was a significant improvement over the 404 (Spritzer felt the same) and I actually liked the Airbow sr-sc-11 over the sr-507. The cryo treatment was a smoke screen Stax stretched the diaphragms. If I was in the market I would get one. It would be nice to know the whole skinny but I highly doubt we will find that out before they sell out.

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #14,267 of 25,567
The site reads today:
  • The "MLER" (Multi-Layer Elect Rode) ellipse sound element is equivalent to Lambda series top model SR-L700.
  • The “MLER” is a Stax's exclusive electrode structure that has been completed through the unification of metal plates using heat diffusion combination to attain minimum resonance characteristics.
To me, "sound element" would mean stators and diaphragm, without further qualification. The 2nd bullet *could be* intended as a statement about a portion of MLER consistent with my reading of the 1st bullet, or as a clarification of what the first bullet means.

In any case, given that there is a layer of translation in there:
1) Is there a Japanese version of this text, and a Japanese reader on this thread, to translate and clarify what this means?
2) Who are the contributors to this thread who are employees of Stax itself, i.e., not distributors or fans?
3) Could one of those referred to in 2) give an official answer?

*I* think this is worth clarifying. *If* "sound element" means all the "layers" from inner to outer stator, Stax is really offering a nice package at an attractive price.

http://www.stax.co.jp/information/news/news2018-01j.pdf

For the second bullet, the STAX brochure states
- "MLER" stands for Multi-Layer Elect Rode which is a unique electrode structure by STAX. It has a fixed electrode structure to realize ultra-low resonance by integrating the control bridge through heat diffusion bonding.

Maybe that makes sense to someone.... I'm not a translation expert. I have also made a query to STAX in Japan.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #14,268 of 25,567
http://www.stax.co.jp/information/news/news2018-01j.pdf

For the second bullet, the STAX brochure states
- "MLER" stands for Multi-Layer Elect Rode which is a unique electrode structure by STAX. It has a fixed electrode structure to realize ultra-low resonance by integrating the control bridge through heat diffusion bonding.

Maybe that makes sense to someone.... I'm not a translation expert. I have also made a query to STAX in Japan.

Basically it means there is more than one material used in making the stators.

Imagine how a tuning fork rings when struck.

Now tightly wrap a rubber band around the prongs. That dampens the ringing.

By bonding a second dampening material with heat to an existing stator, self resonances can be minimized.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #14,270 of 25,567
Well - the mystery deepens. I just had a telephone conversation with Jack Woo who called me back. It turns out that there was BOTH a basic 300 and a 300 Anniversary headphone at the booth. Based on what I heard I think it was the basic 300 and not the Anniversary which the (confused) rep had me listen to. Mr Woo said that the Anniversary is considerably better than the 500 I liked - and approached the 700 in performance.
So being you think you may have demoed the "basic 300" at the Woo booth you still preferred the 500 over both the 300 the 700, correct? If so, now you'll need to try and demo both the 300/LE before making the choice of going with the 500. What a shame you were misinformed on what you were actually demoing. But, if the 300LE approaches the 700, you just might prefer the 500 anyway.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #14,271 of 25,567
Basically it means there is more than one material used in making the stators.

Imagine how a tuning fork rings when struck.

Now tightly wrap a rubber band around the prongs. That dampens the ringing.

By bonding a second dampening material with heat to an existing stator, self resonances can be minimized.

Thanks, that's a helpful analogy. So I guess adding the rigidity and minimizing resonance allows the diaphragm to move more accurately without losing energy to the stator resonance, at least in theory. Curious how that manifest in sound :)

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #14,272 of 25,567
So being you think you may have demoed the "basic 300" at the Woo booth you still preferred the 500 over both the 300 the 700, correct? If so, now you'll need to try and demo both the 300/LE before making the choice of going with the 500. What a shame you were misinformed on what you were actually demoing. But, if the 300LE approaches the 700, you just might prefer the 500 anyway.

Yes - it is a problem and definitely throws a wrench into things if I decide to take the Stax plunge.
I had a telephone conversation with Jack Woo. He strongly recommended the 300LE over anything else - 500 and 700 ihcluded.

The other problem I have is what to use for a source. I have decided to separate my headphone system from my two channel system. Now the headphone system has at it's disposal primarily the Sony Signature series WM1Z Dap and the TA-ZH1ES Dac/Amp. I also have a Mojo floating around. I do not believe the Sony TA can function as a stand alone DAC so it cannot be connected to something like the 353 anniversary amp. More research is needed to determine what the WM1Z Walkman can output. I know it can output a digital signal however not sure it it can also output an analogue signal which could then be somehow rigged to terminate to RCA for connection to the Stax amp.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #14,274 of 25,567
Yes - it is a problem and definitely throws a wrench into things if I decide to take the Stax plunge.
I had a telephone conversation with Jack Woo. He strongly recommended the 300LE over anything else - 500 and 700 ihcluded.

The other problem I have is what to use for a source. I have decided to separate my headphone system from my two channel system. Now the headphone system has at it's disposal primarily the Sony Signature series WM1Z Dap and the TA-ZH1ES Dac/Amp. I also have a Mojo floating around. I do not believe the Sony TA can function as a stand alone DAC so it cannot be connected to something like the 353 anniversary amp. More research is needed to determine what the WM1Z Walkman can output. I know it can output a digital signal however not sure it it can also output an analogue signal which could then be somehow rigged to terminate to RCA for connection to the Stax amp.

Honestly, if you just want to keep it cheap before going crazy into estats I think the 252S is pretty solid for what it is. It can power all the Lamda series just fine and the Lambda series is known for not being as source dependent as the Omega series. The 252S has been going for $200-250 used so with the L300 Limited you are looking at a pretty awesome system for under $1k. I feel like that would be a great starting package and you could always upgrade energizers later on down the line if you want and I'm sure you wouldn't even take a loss if you were to re-sell the 252S.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #14,275 of 25,567
What kind of DACS are people using to feed intro Stax systems such as a Lambda 300/500/700 and the 353 amplifier?
How are people connecting ROON systems to the 353 amplifier?

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #14,276 of 25,567
I like the Ayre QB-9 DSD with the L700. It has a warmer tone that works great while still being very detailed. Also used a NAD M51 (resolving, a little bright), Neko D100 (midrangey but smooth) and an older Resolution Audio Opus 21 (neutral and very dynamic, but can't keep up with newer stuff on detail).

You don't want to skimp on source when it comes to 'stats. With dynamics, you can, and and you'll save a lot of money in the process. 'Stats are a different ballgame.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #14,277 of 25,567
You don't want to skimp on source when it comes to 'stats. With dynamics, you can, and and you'll save a lot of money in the process. 'Stats are a different ballgame.

Hmm... Maybe I need to rethink and connect the amp to my two channel system. I then can use my Linn LP12 and Klimax DS as sources!!

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #14,278 of 25,567
Wow, so much speculation and misinformation in recent pages, my eyes hurt :).

First, one should not fall too much for the marketing at play (MLER stators = you’re getting sr009 level SQ). While reinforced stators likely helps, my bet on the largest differences in voicing is on a) the ear pads, b) the diaphragm (thickness , tension) to a much lower extent. As such, if the final product has L300 pads, it’s hard to imagine it will sound similar to the L700.

Second, it’s been implied above that the MLER are composite layup to control damping but I am very doubtful about this. AFAIK, this MLER stator are just layers of the same material joined together by some kind of friction welding process. In terms of benefits, you can get away with thinner stator and/or push stator mechanical resonances to a higher frequency.

Last, woo audio is a dealer for stax, I would take their words with a pinch of salt in regard to engineering of the stax products such as detailed info on how the L300 L.E. stator differs from L700.

cheers,
Arnaud

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #14,279 of 25,567

Agreed. The sr-009 really did not separate itself from less expensive headphones (hd800, Lcd-X, 007mk1) until the source was well into 4 figures. In my case that was a Brinkmann Bardo with direct to disc records. Not cheap but I think you can save allot getting a Yamaha gt2000 or Micro Seiki bl-91. If you can deal with used those two record players are close to the Bardo for a fraction the cost...

Back to the L-300le. I know there has been a bit of a emotional posts to say the least, but man as someone who thinks the Lamda's limited editions are the most underrated headphones out there it is very nice to see such interest finally. It is way more than time. Too many great enthusiasts do not know what they are missing.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #14,280 of 25,567
Wow, so much speculation and misinformation in recent pages, my eyes hurt :).

First, one should not fall too much for the marketing at play (MLER stators = you’re getting sr009 level SQ). While reinforced stators likely helps, my bet on the largest differences in voicing is on a) the ear pads, b) the diaphragm (thickness , tension) to a much lower extent. As such, if the final product has L300 pads, it’s hard to imagine it will sound similar to the L700.

Second, it’s been implied above that the MLER are composite layup to control damping but I am very doubtful about this. AFAIK, this MLER stator are just layers of the same material joined together by some kind of friction welding process. In terms of benefits, you can get away with thinner stator and/or push stator mechanical resonances to a higher frequency.

Last, woo audio is a dealer for stax, I would take their words with a pinch of salt in regard to engineering of the stax products such as detailed info on how the L300 L.E. stator differs from L700.

cheers,
Arnaud

So being new to Stax which dealer, Stateside, is considered to be the most knowledgeable and offers the best customer service when it comes to assistance, repair etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back