The Stax Thread III
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #14,251 of 25,472
Es_spk.gif

Stators are the 2 external layers in the diagram that Wikipedia has on how an electrostatic driver looks like.

There’s still the diaphragm which is not the same as the L700’s driver.

This is why they claim it is similar and not exactly the same as the L700 driver.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #14,255 of 25,472
Where is the link that says similar?

Because if both, diaphragm and stator were the same, Stax would say "same driver as L700" and not only "same stators".
It would be nice if someone more knowledgeable could chime in and confirm 100%, but it wouldn't make sense for Stax to say only "same stators" and not "same driver" if both were equal.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #14,257 of 25,472
@pegasus21 That's right! same stators but different diaphragm.
The site reads today:
  • The "MLER" (Multi-Layer Elect Rode) ellipse sound element is equivalent to Lambda series top model SR-L700.
  • The “MLER” is a Stax's exclusive electrode structure that has been completed through the unification of metal plates using heat diffusion combination to attain minimum resonance characteristics.
To me, "sound element" would mean stators and diaphragm, without further qualification. The 2nd bullet *could be* intended as a statement about a portion of MLER consistent with my reading of the 1st bullet, or as a clarification of what the first bullet means.

In any case, given that there is a layer of translation in there:
1) Is there a Japanese version of this text, and a Japanese reader on this thread, to translate and clarify what this means?
2) Who are the contributors to this thread who are employees of Stax itself, i.e., not distributors or fans?
3) Could one of those referred to in 2) give an official answer?

*I* think this is worth clarifying. *If* "sound element" means all the "layers" from inner to outer stator, Stax is really offering a nice package at an attractive price.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #14,258 of 25,472
I read the Japanese version, it's almost identical to the English version.

Also contacted Woo to get their take. Jack said " The casing and headband of the L300 Limited are identical to the standard L300, except the gold plaque. The drivers on the Limited is almost identical to the L700 which cost twice more." So the driver as a whole isn't the same.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #14,259 of 25,472
We've been discussing the L300 Limited and its appearance at CanJam over at reddit in this thread. To re-confirm it sounds like the L300 Limited (and not regular L300) was indeed at CanJam. For whatever reason, the L700 might not have been around during part of the day(s). It also seems like there was a significant sound difference between L300 Limited, L500, and L700. Also, it appears Staxaudio.com (authorized Stax dealer run by Woo Audio and the booth the Stax gear was at during CanJam) has updated their wording on the features of L300 Limited. It now says this: "The "MLER" (Multi-Layer Elect Rode) ellipse sound element is equivalent to Lambda series top model SR-L700." I believe up until last week or so it used to specifically use the wording that L300 limited used the L700 stators. But that is gone now. They also removed any wording about using the L500 pads. And at CanJam it was noted that the L300 Limited still used shallow pads that suffers from the same problem of ears touching the inside driver.

So it seems Stax might not be upgrading the L300 Limited as much as it originally seemed to be. It definitely seem like it will just be a fancier L300, and not really much closer to an L700.

Yeah. Seems like you're paying for the limited edition part and not so much of the sound. I'd like to add that for me L300 has been very comfortable - no issues with pads at all. I'd prefer deeper pads but honestly it has been a non issue for me entirely.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #14,260 of 25,472
I read the Japanese version, it's almost identical to the English version.

Also contacted Woo to get their take. Jack said " The casing and headband of the L300 Limited are identical to the standard L300, except the gold plaque. The drivers on the Limited is almost identical to the L700 which cost twice more." So the driver as a whole isn't the same.

So Jack from Woo Audio works for Stax and is part of their engineering team? Ask "Jack" to kindly explain the difference if he know's so much and squash this.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #14,262 of 25,472
*Woo Audio is a Stax distributor

What is identical (to the regular L300, not the L700, which is what we're talking about) is the casing and the headband.
Please notice the "drivers on the limited is almost identical to the L700".

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #14,263 of 25,472
Yeah. Seems like you're paying for the limited edition part and not so much of the sound. I'd like to add that for me L300 has been very comfortable - no issues with pads at all. I'd prefer deeper pads but honestly it has been a non issue for me entirely.

I'd say getting a sound experience pretty similar to the L700 (based off the reported listening experience of someone who listened to and compared the L300L and L700 back to back) for half the price is an awesome deal! Limited Edition + very similar sounding to an L700 for 1/2 price = best STAX value currently available in their earspeaker lineup. Say 90-95% of the sound of an L700 for 50% of the cost. I imagine if you swap over to L700 pads on the L300L, it would really make it even closer...

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #14,265 of 25,472
STAX probably had a bad production run (1600 units) of L700 stators that didn’t meet spec, and instead of writing them off, recycled them with L300 diaphragms and a gold emblem into becoming the “Limited” L300 Anniversary Edition.

Or not. :beerchug:

If it can be done with microprocessors, it could be done with STAX driver components or any other stringently specced and hard/critical to produce items that could be separated into 'grades'...as long as its a good product in the end it will be a great value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back